• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime where the bad guy wins*Spoilers*

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
only one that comes to mind is spoiler[Chrno Crusade]. any others?

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:37 am; edited 4 times in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:46 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
spoiler[Chrno Crusade.]

Gee, thanks for the spoiler. Ruining the show for me was MUCH appreciated. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
sorry, i should have been more careful
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:29 am Reply with quote
How about a spoilers tag over the name of the show? I think I recall that just putting 'spoilers' in the thread title isn't enough to keep the mods happy.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:42 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
v1cious wrote:
spoiler[Chrno Crusade.]

Gee, thanks for the spoiler. Ruining the show for me was MUCH appreciated. Rolling Eyes
Gee, thanks for not putting a spoiler tag in your quote of them - by the time I got their post was fixed but yours was not. Guess I might as well sell my DVDs on eBay now.

Anyway, as for the topic at hand, what do you mean by the bad guy "winning" at the end? Depending on how you define it, there are some anime in which the bad guy doesn't completely "win" at the end, but does accomplish their goals.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
"*Spoilers*" has been added to the title of the thread so those who read on have been warned. Wink (EDIT: ADDED SPOILERS TAGS TO ANIME TITLES)

If we go by what radicaledward says, that the bad guys accomplish what they have set out to do, then I think these are anime where the bad guy wins.

Wolf's Rain: spoiler[This really wasn't Darcia's goal, but the world resets because Lord Darcia's eye poisions the world before Paradise can be achieved. In essence, if he can't have it, then no one can.]

Cowboy Bebop: spoiler[Vicious' hatred for Spike brims over and he sends out his men to kill Julia and Spike. In the end he succeeds, but he also loses his life.]

Neon Genesis: Evangelion: spoiler[...well, SEELE almost succeeds in bringing about 3rd Impact. Unfortunately for them, Shinji Ikari is even more screwed up than Chaiman Keel or Gendo Ikari and comes back to a dead world where only Asuka and he survive.]

Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade: spoiler[In the end, Fuse's belief in the pack and that he is a member of it wins over and he ends up shooting the person who may be the love of his life. ]

Last edited by Chiroptera Rex on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
"*Spoilers*" has been added to the title of the thread so those who read on have been warned. Wink

That only works for series-specific threads. This thread covers several anime titles, so there's no possible way of knowing which series mentioned within are ones you have & have not seen until you actually read it (and, of course, it's a wee bit too late by then). To just put "Spoilers" in a thread where anyone could bring up just about any anime not explicitly named in the thread's title just does not work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
"*Spoilers*" has been added to the title of the thread so those who read on have been warned. Wink

That only works for series-specific threads. This thread covers several anime titles, so there's no possible way of knowing which series mentioned within are ones you have & have not seen until you actually read it (and, of course, it's a wee bit too late by then). To just put "Spoilers" in a thread where anyone could bring up just about any anime not explicitly named in the thread's title just does not work.

*slaps head* you are most correct. Spoiler tags added. Thanks, Nagisa.
Laruto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Beast Warsspoiler[Megatron; when captured and brought back to Cybertron took over Cybertron and won the Beast wars ]
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
Beast Warsspoiler[Megatron; when captured and brought back to Cybertron took over Cybertron and won the Beast wars ]

That's a good one, actually. It was quite unexpected, the way they started Beast Machines with that scenario.

- Magic Knight Rayearth: spoiler[Guess what? The Magic Knights were the bad guys after all. While they thought they were in Cephiro to save the Princess from Zagato, their true destiny was for Emeraud to die at their hands (which they do at the end of Season 1). They killed Zagato, too, even though he was just acting out of love for Emeraud by trying to prevent her from being killed by the Knights. So I guess you could say the "bad guys" won, seen from that point of view.]

- Noir: spoiler[The death of Altena by Mierelle and Kirika was a victory in the Soldat's favor. So, yes, the bad guys did win at the end of it.]

- Excel Saga: spoiler[At the end of it, Ilpalazzo is still a bad guy, and Excel is still a bad girl.]

Those are the only ones I could think of right now.
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it kind of spoiling the series by not covering the title...?

For example, I'm in the middle of Wolf's Rain, and since the title has been mentioned, even though the details were blocked off, I know have the ending ruined for me, with the realisation that, evidently, the 'bad guy' wins.

Thanks.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
Isn't it kind of spoiling the series by not covering the title...?

For example, I'm in the middle of Wolf's Rain, and since the title has been mentioned, even though the details were blocked off, I know have the ending ruined for me, with the realisation that, evidently, the 'bad guy' wins.

Thanks.

Yes, perhaps I have ruined the ending for you, but read the second paragraph of my first post and you'll see that's not why I mentioned Wolf's Rain. The bad guy doesn't win at the end, but some of the bad guy's goals have been accomplished.

Actually, at the end of many anime series that I have seen, most have ended with the bad guy accomplishing either all or a bit of what they set out to do. That doesn't necessarily mean that they won in the end though.

In all honesty though, Glory Questor's post hasn't stopped me from purchasing the Noir series earlier today. I think that the spoiler tags are doing their job.

And if I had covered the anime title with spoiler tags, then this thread would become null and void.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I heard in Utena the bad guys win, I've only seen the first half of the first season
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Bad guy wins... really bad spoilers ahead spoiler[Hentai animes], the bad guys, almost always ends up doing what they want to do Crying or Very sad
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to remember but in God Bless Dancougar spoiler[the main characters end up trashed in the end?] It's been close to 20 years since I saw it so I don't really remember.

In Time Stranger spoiler[I think it's ambigous if the main character wakes up from a coma or not. ] although it's been like 20 years since I saw it.

In all the Tomino mid 80's Sunrise shows spoiler[Daba ends up caring for a brain fried girl, Fa ends up caring for a brain fried boy, and Chaum is the only survivor.] I've seen these a few times in the last 20 years Razz

Area 88 OAV spoiler[Right before the credits roll Shin goes off back to Area 88 not realizing that Saki and survivors have abandoned the base and have been beaten really badly]

Orguss spoiler[Well it's one of those Rahxephon and Wolf's Rain endings, so I'm not sure who won.]

And the one that I'm suprised has not been mentioned yet is Berserk. spoiler[Talking about having the good guys slaughtered in one episode! This one has to win the award for bad things happening to good guys.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2