• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN and the industry's stance on fansubs (ANN official on P5

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TcDohl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to discuss ANN's and the industry's stance on fansubs (and not their legality). Reading some of the previous Answermans, I just can't help but notice that Zac's attitude toward fansubs range from violent to lynch mob (obviously exaggerating and embellishing) even though it's rather obvious that he, along with much of ANN's staff do indeed watch fansubs, possibly all the way back to the days of the tape fansub.

Now, what makes this discussion sort of different is that watching the Haruhi viral vid episodes, they basically chastise all their current and potential fans that they specifically market to and say that fansubs are bad and that the average fan should be ashamed that they have already downloaded their product before they have released it legitimately.

Now, what I don't understand is that why both ANN and Kadokawa/Ban Dai choose to alienate their fanbase by telling them that they're basically stealing (once again, not a discussion on whether or not it is). Consider who the anime industry is largely marketed toward, the wired/wireless generation, who grew up around the internet, MySpace, Wikipedia, iPod, YouTube, etc. This generation cannot sit idly and have their product prepackaged and spoonfed to them and would rather be engaged with the product. Now, I understand that Kadokawa/Ban Dai has done that by having the marketing campaign involving voice actor polls and such, but turning around and saying that the very people they're marketing toward are thieves is quite counterproductive. I understand that ANN is sponsored by the anime industry and has to take a similar stance as an entity, but it's equally unsettling when a fellow fan is put on the podium and says that what the rest of the fandom's doing is bad. Doing so is just a lose/lose situation. Not only do you gain mistrust from fans, but you also get a lot of negative buzz, which, unlike bad publicity, actually deters people.

Now, what am I trying to say? I'm saying that ANN and the industry can have an anti-fansub stance, but to be so vocal about it would only alienate fans rather than attract them.

That's my rant. Please, discuss. And please, absolutely no discussion concerning the legality of fansubs.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's my rant. Please, discuss. And please, absolutely no discussion concerning the legality of fansubs.

Feel free to discuss, however, I'm going to repeat the above as a reminder. We already have one endless cycle of a debate on the legality and morality of fansubs and we do not need another. Stay on topic because if this turns in to another moral debate on fansub use I'm going to go ahead and lock it as one is bad enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote
ANN's stance is not so much anti-fansub as a) anti-promoting fansubs and b) anti-people-who-only-watch-fansubs. I freely admit that I watch the occasional fansub, but nearly every episode of fansubbed anime that I've seen that later had an American release I've also bought.

And I entirely disagree that ANN is alienating many people with their stance. Most people that are hardcore fansubbers/fansub watchers (especially those that see fansubs as an entitlement) don't really give a damn what anyone else thinks about what they do. The only people we're losing are the people who are looking for a site to ask questions about finding and obtaining fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quote
I also don't think that being so open about fansubbing being bad would alienate fans. It wouldn't attract them, but it seems more like it would just be there. Like Key said, the people that are seriously dedicated to fansubs don't really care and would stay on anyway, while the people who probably just started fansubs might leave, but that's not really a loss since all they had to say was "Where can I get this?", and give 'em a month anyway and they'll know where and what everything is and probably become like the hardcore fans. A lot of people fall into the category of hardcore fansubbers, but most of them are different in what they believe is right and wrong. Like me, I'm a HARDCORE fansubber. I have a HUGE list of fansubs ready to torrent all the time and all but 100 MB of memory on this comp. at any given time. I don't like to buy imports no matter what the title is, even if I love it. However I will buy all licensed anime that I like and dislike......ALL anime I will buy (of course I haven't now because I've never had a job, but when I do!!!! Better watch out, all stores that carry anime), even if I've seen it fansubbed. Now not everybody is like that but like me, most don't care what people think.

Which also leads me to the promoting of fansubs. I don't think it's really all that bad. I mean most people who go to sites that would promote fansubs would already know what fansubs are and where to get them, even here on ANN, if one of the banner ads were like something for "Dattebayo" (I know we can't put fansub groups but I need a name of one for this.), most people would already know this and most of the people who wouldn't would be the COUNTLESS people who are never on here or just one of many people who pass by this site, which wouldn't really harm anything.

EDIT: I lost myself somewhere in there. I'm not sure I understand what all I said there. Embarassed

Last edited by Iwatch2muchanime on Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
First of all just to get it out of the way.. About ANN's stance, in this slightly similar thread tempest wrote:
tempest wrote:
This is going to be my first, last and only post on the subject.

ANN will continue to allow people to discuss unlicensed anime in these forums. The only thing that is not allowed is pointing people in the direction to download fansubs, bootlegs or any other material of questionable ethicality.

Whether you chose to download fansubs or not is your personal decision. For the record, ANN's official policy is that it will not promote fansubs or allow them to be promoted in the forum. That's all, we don't officially think they are bad, nor do we officially think they are good (Individually, ANN's staff have differing opinions on fansubs, but we all agree on many aspects of the whole debate, it's just where the line should be drawn that varies from person to person).

Talking about shows that have not yet been released in North America does not directly promote fansubs, obviously there is a link, but there's a huge difference between saying "X show is good" and saying "X show is good, go here to download it."

So to re-iterate, discussions about anime that have not yet been released in North America is perfectly permissible in these forums. Provided of course the existing rules are respected.

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network

Ok, now personally:

I have never seen a militant attitude against fansubs from Zac or anyone on the ANN staff. I watch fansubs regularly, and post about the anime I have seen this way fairly often, and no one has ever chastised me or deleted my posts. I agree and disagree to various degree on some of ANN's stances but I am somewhat indifferent but mostly in a agreement with their stance on fansubs. I don't find it harsh or anything that would really scare anyone away. If anything, in the few months that I have been posting here, the only posts that I have seen asking for downloads are always poorly written and usually one liners in net speak that in no way open the door to even half witted discussion. If these are the people that are being chased away by ANN's stance, then it’s just less wasted forum space.

Thirdly, I've seen the Haruhi promotional campaign videos. I liked them, I thought the parts about fansubbers and watchers were amusing. When I found out some people were irked I had to go back and watch it again because I obviously missed something. After I saw it again I was still in the dark about it. I don't understand what is insulting about what they say. Aside from a couple of comical exaggerations, is any of it incorrect? These people own the release rights to Haruhi sales in the US, it’s OK by me if they take an occasional jab at people who saw their licensed property and will not pay for it. And still, they don't even take a hard jab, it's not even a bite, it's like a bite with gums and no teeth, barely more than a low bark.

And it was comical. Heck the whole ad campaign is humorous. They have their videos subtitles a la fansub fashion, episode “00” had cutesy karaoke graphics, and they even give us the torrents so we can download these too. They are targeting the known fan base first because they don't have to sit there and explain what the show is to try and sell it to us, so they'll do a couple of tricks to try and show us that they're "hep" that they know the "lingo," and even if it is a bit cheesy I think they are doing a wonderful job. So if they gum a little at the folks who are not going to buy the official DVDs, it's not insulting me. And if it turns any fans away then I'll assume the fans being turned are just the ones that were looking for an excuse not to spend money anyway and exactly the people who were on the other end of the gumming.

Last edited by undeadben on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote
For the love of Gendo Ikari, I'd like everyone to (re)read the thread that undeadben linked to, it's got more debate than we'll ever need on this subject.
TcDohl wrote:
Now, what makes this discussion sort of different is that watching the Haruhi viral vid episodes, they basically chastise all their current and potential fans that they specifically market to and say that fansubs are bad and that the average fan should be ashamed that they have already downloaded their product before they have released it legitimately.
The credits in the first video wrote:
Special Thanks To: Fansub lovers who buy official DVDs and support more creative works. No Special Thanks To: Downloaders and Bootleggers who never buy official DVDs.
I don't think that's exactly, "Shame on you" talk. Even in the second video, I got the sense that they were saying, "We know that some of you have been watching Haruhi by 'other' means Wink Wink Wink , but be sure and buy the DVDs too, kay?"
Quote:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to discuss ANN's and the industry's stance on fansubs (and not their legality). Reading some of the previous Answermans, I just can't help but notice that Zac's attitude toward fansubs range from violent to lynch mob (obviously exaggerating and embellishing) even though it's rather obvious that he, along with much of ANN's staff do indeed watch fansubs, possibly all the way back to the days of the tape fansub.
An outside view of the ANN situation:
On a forum I can't link to, Chibiki wrote:
I was reading through the post in Anime News Network's forums and found that the majority of posters there were strongly convinced of one thing: fansubs are irrelevant*.

The main argument for this is that there are lots of anime licensing companies in America now, thus meaning that most shows are going to be licensed anyway. Therefore, why bother? Fansubbing's goal of promoting awareness of anime has been acheived so all fansubbers should pack up and retire.

Another view often bandied about in those forums is that the current crop of fansubbers are egomaniacal fame bandits bent on making a name for themselves by subbing the most popular show in the least possible time. Every feature of fansubs nowadays, from karaoke effects to the presence of logos and even group names/credits in the AVIs, are proof-positive of this, according to this viewpoint.

In short, there is a question of whether there should or should not be any more fansubs floating about not just in ANN, but sometimes here as well, as seen in threads like the Hacking and Su-Yu threads.

Footnotes:
* Actually, the ANN forumers are more of the opinion that digital fansubs specifically are evil and irrelevant, but this is because they're mostly old-time VHS fansubbers who are, in my opinion, largely bitter that the whole "To get a fansub you must find a well-connected otaku and bow to him" system of their time has been replaced and that digital fansubbing has made many of them irrelevant. Nevertheless, they try to be consistent and therefore declared fansubs to be similarly irrelevant for the reasons mention in the main text.
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
ANN's stance is not so much anti-fansub as a) anti-promoting fansubs and b) anti-people-who-only-watch-fansubs. I freely admit that I watch the occasional fansub, but nearly every episode of fansubbed anime that I've seen that later had an American release I've also bought.

As to a): This strikes me as like to the general attitude toward sex: everyone does it, but it's not polite to talk about the ways and means in public.

b) is the crux of the matter, and that with which I take issue, and that on which I agree with TcDohl that it alienates ANN users. Not necessarily to the point of driving them away, but by making them (us!) take adversarial positions. While Key is right that we (I!) don't care what the rest of ANN thinks, I hardly feel that I'm in the bosom of friends.

As an entitlement-mentality person (albeit one who supports that entitlement on a syllogism of individuality), I find it difficult to understand the justification of those who disdain that mentality. It's counterintuitive to hear, "You think you're entitled to free anime, therefore we're going to go out of our way to deny your right to free anime, just to make the point," and then to hear, "You agree that you are not entitled to free anime, so if you happen to take it as a preview, we'll look the other way." Cannot ANN take a neutral position on the entitlement question?
mrploddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ok I'll state this for the record -

I am a practising fansubber. I would classify myself as an old sk00l fansubber who fansubs anime for the goal of seeing anime licensed for localized distribution and will not fansub anime and discontinue the subbing of anime that has been licensed for the western world where it is being released with Japanese audio and faithfully subtitled (eg not dubtitles). I 95% of the time work on classic anime which has been out for more than 10 years or is of the type that is not immediately a candidate for licensing. I very rarely work on "new" shows unless they are unloved by other groups and/or they stand little hope of seeing a license. I disagree very strongly with the "screw you American licensors" attitude that some newer fansubbers have and their so called "neo fansubber" attitudes. I do think fansubbing is taking a turn for the worse and people like me are now the minority and not the majority :/. Also I'm not a "I must download everything and never buy". That is NOT THE CASE. I have over $5000 of Japanese Region 2's on my book case and I've almost sent myself broke sometimes buying expensive items. So please don't call me a scummy "you don't buy anything you disrespecting scummy fansubber".

Now to state my opinion -

I generally think the Industry has a very negative attitude towards fansubbing. It seems to be a policy of "see no evil hear no evil". Or perhaps another way of putting it would be "Rule 1 of Fansub club - Don't talk about fansub club".

It's given that a lot of anime companies staff were originally fansubbers. There have been numerious cases of Fansubbers giving scripts to anime companies for their licensed products and so on. This makes the "blissful ignorance" of fansubbers quite ironic in some ways.

I agree that the industry can never "endorse" fansubbing as that would just legalise it. It's all very grey but it would be nice if there was more of an open dialogue between fansubbers and the industry.

One example that I would quote would be Jerry Chu when he was still at Bandai. He used to run a channel on IRC and would actually ask groups to stop fansubbing an anime.

It's a culture thing I think. A lot of recent lawyer tactics have been to serve cease and desist orders on either a) groups websites b) unlicensed fansub listing sites. It was a recent incident where Funimation served a C&D on one such unlicensed fansub database which shows the complete and utter lack of understanding which current legal teams have about fansub culture. The site in question would have removed the links anyhow on an official press release and they didn't need to have a C&D served on them to force them to. A simple email would have done the trick ya know. I believe they just saw the site and believed that serving a C&D would accomplish something. It will have only cut off access to the most casual of downloaders and by no means would it have killed IRC distribution.

If anime companies want to really crack down on licensed anime fansubbing they need to learn about fansubbing culture and know who to talk to directly and actually come on IRC rather than waving C&D orders at hosting providers.

There is one incident which I heard of but didn't actually witness where Bandai actually went online on IRC and actually went to a fansub groups channel and ORDERED them stop fansubbing a show. I wonder why that doesnt happen these days?. Now THAT would be a lot more scary than having a C&D served on a web hosting account.

Another problem that they have to face is shadow groups. If they learned and got to know the fansubbing scene on IRC it wouldn't take a lot of detective work to find out who is involved in a shadow group and put a stop to it. I could quote some examples of some well known shadow groups where it was common knowledge in the fansubbing scene who was behind it but we all just sat back and watched them release.

My point? The current strategies of attacking websites does NOTHING to crack down on the determined fansubber. It's not hard to set up a shadow group and release anonymously on public bittorrent trackers. The current strategies of attacking websites does NOTHING to stop shadow groups.

The consequences? Fansubbing of licensed anime will carry on unabated if anime companies don't start wising up they won't curb the growing trend of licensed anime fansubbing. Yeah you heard me, anime companies current strategies are nothing but potshots on cracking down on licensed fansubbing. Unless they seriously change their ways they will do nothing to crack down on it.

Do I think fansubbing should be eradicated entirely? No there is a place for fansubbing for UNLICENSED anime and especially anime that stands little or no chance of being licensed on the basis of age / length / content. For top drawer titles like Death Note I'm not so sure about fansubbing. Especially those that just scream of licenses like Death Note, Tsubasa and so on.

The place for fansubbing is to take on the old shows / shows that don't immediately scream of being a possibility for licensing. By this I mean I believe that the current trend in fansubbing should move back towards it's original goal of making underrated shows popular in the states and giving licensors the reason to take a risk on something. EG I'm saying fansubbing should move away from the "sub the latest and greatest" back to more old sk00l principles which the VHS fansubbers and early digital fansubbers of yore worked upon. There is plenty of anime out there which the US market doesnt know about. The newest season of anime shows only accounts for a small percentage of the total available anime in Japan but 80% of fansubbers efforts concentrates on subbing that newest season. It's been a cultural shift of the past 2 - 3 years. If only people realised that then maybe we wouldnt be in the situation that we are now of 7 groups doing one show and a lot more undiscovered anime might be brought to the attention of the American audience and Western Hemisphere in general.

So yeah make of that what you will, it's what I believe, flame me if you like blaaaaaaaah.

-mrploddy
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
I didn't notice this at all but if ANN's stance does somehow appear to be isolating fansub viewers, then isn't that great? For me, as much as I love a certain anime I love discussing about it. Especially titles like Monster or Ergo Proxy, I like getting different interpretations. Now, if I'm isolated and shunned because I watched it through fansubs, all the more I should start buying to fit in. I personally think ANN has a neutral stance on it, and as tempest said ANN simply doesn't allow links or citations to fansubs but discussions of them are still OK. Maybe all the anime communities should take a stronger stance on piracy and see what would happen.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Here I speak not as an ANN staff but as a "foreigner" (in the eyes of most ANN users): you -- licensors, anti-fansubbers, and pro-fansubbers who keep promoting fansubs at ANN -- are so immature. Period.

Since the thread starter used SHnY as an example, let me tell you guys the situation here in Taiwan: before it was licensed by Proware, we (me and a bunch of other anime fans) watched its fansub at their conference room, complete with a plasma TV and free snacks, and anyone can "join the club," not just people with connections in the industry. The result? Proware is the only company that never has to hire temporary workers at conventions like Comic Exhibition or TIBE, for fans (mostly high-volume customers) volunteer at their booth, including (but not limited to) the translator of Chrno Crusade, a former maid at Fatimaid, and an elementary school teacher who handed out his credit card once Proware had started taking preorders of Legend of Galactic Heroes (limited edition, 45 discs) at NT$15,000 (US$460), no question asked.

Until North American licensors and fans can reach this level of Gentlemen's Agreement, I wouldn't call them "mature," and I shall not express my opinion on fansubs any further.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
It seems pretty obvious to me. A publication like Protoculture Addicts depends on the industry- either the American distributors or the Japanese- for the information that allows them to sell a product. They depend on the fans- speifically people who buy stuff- to buy that product. If there's a group that has an established pattern of not buying things, regardless of the legality or morality of the issue involved, why try to market to them? Noting that that only accounts for the "people who only watch fansubs" that Key mentioned. But if you're trying to sell a magazine, does it really matter if you alienate people who aren't going to buy it anyway? Maybe I'm confused on the relationship between the website and the magazine, but it doesn't seem to be all that much of a stretch to me.

I think Steroid's right that a militant anti-fansub stance forces some people into defensive postures that are often counterproductive to open discussion, although that's true for just about any argument. (Witness the migraine-inducing loli debates.) I think it also forces people to defend points of view they might not actually hold by creating a false dichotomy, and I think that attitudes like that cripple constructive debate on a whole slew of important topics, starting with copyright, especially in the US, especially in the last five years or so. (Ooh, run-on sentence...) Some other folks have made some interesting and useful points here and in the other thread that was linked above. But I don't think that from a "which side is the butter on" stance I could justify an official position for a site like this on fansubs that went towards the fansubbers. Neutral is probably the best I would be comfortable with.

Side note: Speaking as someone who has seen about three fansubbed shows that weren't on VHS- I don't think fansubs are irrelavent anymore, I just think it's all kind of impersonal, comparatively. Kind of like the talk in this week's Answerman about the relative lameness of anime clubs recently. I only went to a couple of meetings when I started going back to school, and all they did was fight about dubs and subs. I can do that on the internet and not have to share chips. Although I never knew anybody who made me bow for a tape...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
TcDohl wrote:
Reading some of the previous Answermans, I just can't help but notice that Zac's attitude toward fansubs range from violent to lynch mob (obviously exaggerating and embellishing) even though it's rather obvious that he, along with much of ANN's staff do indeed watch fansubs, possibly all the way back to the days of the tape fansub.

You "just can't help but notice" an opinion that was never actually stated, eh?

Every single time I talk about fansubs in Answerman my position is VERY CLEAR: I don't have any problem with fansubs so long as the fans who watch them do SOMETHING to support the shows they love financially. Period. If you're a big Haruhi Suzumiya fan and you watched all the fansubs, buy the R1 DVDs when they come out so you can show your support.

That's it. That's my position on fansubs, in a nutshell. People seem to really enjoy totally exaggerating my opinion or straight-up taking it out of context so they can rant and rave about how I'm so "militantly" anti-fansub. No, we don't allow people to toss around fansub links. Yes, I do think that fans who download everything, feel entitled to watch anime for free and refuse to ever pay for anime are selfish people who are hurting the industry. Do I think fansubs are bad? No, not really.

There will always be people who for whatever reason want to villify me or this site for our extremely mild and very neutral position on fansubs. At this point, we're used to it.

What annoys me about that post by the person on another forum is that they attempt to apply one blanket generalization to our forum users - "ANN Forum Members think this way about fansubs". That's a big load of crap; we have an immense amount of varying viewpoints on the issue here. I realize that it's easy to take a handful of quotes out of context and then pigeonhole a big group of people into "they think this way" but that's completely unfair and inaccurate.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ANN has always had a firm standing against making sure that it does not promote fansubs. In truth, I have downloaded three series in my anime watching career: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which just got licensed, Rozen Maiden, which was also recently announced, and Battle Programmer Shirase, which isn't even over here. I am looking forward to buying the series' DVDs, that way I won't have to turn on my computer to watch these things (I haven't really watched them anyway). So, I say that they are a good way of promoting series, but if you're going to watch them only, like some of the people mentioned above, you're not showing support for the industry. That I cannot agree with.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
I agree that the post I quoted is making a bad generalization, and what I should have also mentioned is that it was created several years ago amidst the AnimeJunkies controversy .
Zac wrote:
You "just can't help but notice" an opinion that was never actually stated, eh?

Every single time I talk about fansubs in Answerman my position is VERY CLEAR: I don't have any problem with fansubs so long as the fans who watch them do SOMETHING to support the shows they love financially. Period. If you're a big Haruhi Suzumiya fan and you watched all the fansubs, buy the R1 DVDs when they come out so you can show your support.

That's it. That's my position on fansubs, in a nutshell. People seem to really enjoy totally exaggerating my opinion or straight-up taking it out of context so they can rant and rave about how I'm so "militantly" anti-fansub. No, we don't allow people to toss around fansub links. Yes, I do think that fans who download everything, feel entitled to watch anime for free and refuse to ever pay for anime are selfish people who are hurting the industry. Do I think fansubs are bad? No, not really.
Judging from all the AnswerMan columns I've read, which may be close to actually reading all of them all the way back to 2001, I don't perceive a "militant" anti-fansub attitude. However, I "can't help but notice" that pretty much every time some feature of contemporary digital fansubs comes up for discussion, there are potshots fired by people who either don't care for those features or who long for the good old days of VHS fansubbing. I'm not saying it's just from Zac, but the overall reaction from the "old school" forum base towards things like karaoke, color-coded or otherwise "gimmicky" subtitles, group names/logos in videos tends to be negative. This gives some credence to the "ANNites hate digisubs" idea, even though the generalization is less true now than it was when it was stated.
Overall, I'm not concerned/threatened by any of this; compared to the AoD forums, we're all a bunch of fansub-loving hippies over here.
^ Another generalization, nothing against AoD of coure.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
Hells Bells, I've been around here for a while (not so long as some, but longer than others) and I'll tell you that fansubs are actually pretty appreciated by folks here - myself included.

You see, I like Violinist Hamelin. An ancient series with practically no animation and a ridiculous story. I will sooner appreciate Hayden Christensen's contribution to the Star Wars mythos than see an R1 DVD release of this series.

So, all I have (or had, quite honestly while unpacking my boxes I've discovered my tapes missing) are some 4th generation VHS fansubs to enjoy this series.

This, to me, is the place of a fansub. I don't understand the need to fansub Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society or Ah! My Goddess:Sorezore no Tsubasa. We FREAKING KNEW these would come over! But Space Symphonic Poem Maetel or Rose of Versailies, well keep on subbin', folks.

Really, the only stance that's seemingly universal amongst the fanbase here is "If it's licensed, there shouldn't be fansubs." Simple as that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8