• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Oreimo, Garden of Sinners on DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
@ikc - excellent post, dude. Couldn't have rebutted those comments you quoted better myself. I don't see why being bummed out that the new release won't be BD is some kind of major expression of selfish entitlement. Ridiculous.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
It looks like Aniplex got their heads out of their rears for a change and attempted a compromise. It's not the best, but at least it's something. It shows their executives are willing to step outside their supposed business model.

Of course, this could all be bullshit if we find out they are trying to bleed us dry for the standard release too (think upwards of 300 dollars).

And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried. I still have the blu-ray fansubs saved to my hard drive, I don't expect to be deleting KnK anytime soon.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
GOOD.

Now just hope KnK isn't just 200 +.

Just the thought of being able to own them in physical format makes me excited.
Strife212

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
Get those nasty DVD's away from me Razz
GenesisOPX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
I'm down for it, sucks that I missed the bluray for both of these, but I guess this is better than nothing. Prices should definately be more earthly for some people with these releases too Wink
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Xanas wrote:
It's the fact that they are not releasing a dub and they are doing this on DVD instead of BD. If they were doing a BD without a dub, I could respect it somewhat, but no dub and no BD... very annoying.

But the reason that they're not releasing Kara no Kyoukai on BD (in a cheaper release) is because they want to protect their sales in Japan. Lots and lots of otaku in Japan bought the KnK BD box set, the same one that had so many people on this side of the ocean grumbling. Now, it has only been a year since that has been released. If Aniplex USA were to sell a similar BD set for $100 MSRP or so, that damages their relations with the buyers of those who bought the initial set, considering they're offering it 80% cheaper. So next time there is a box set release in Japan, if just a few thousand of those otaku now wait for the eventual cheaper release then Aniplex loses a lot of money. More money than what they made by selling the cheaper set here in North America. And that's the problem.

For something like Baccano which isn't very popular in Japan, they were able to make a BD set available for relatively quite cheap (I think 50 or 60 bucks?). But for anything that is really popular in Japan, I expect to see the same release style for Aniplex titles. If there is a BD release for such titles, then it'll be done like Madoka Magica.

Pretty much. Nobody would buy the 2nd super-expensive BD boxset of Fate/Zero if it was known that a cheaper BD-set for the first season is going to be released in 6 months. And that's valid for sales over in Japan, AND import sales through Aniplex USA (which Garden of Sinners proved us, aren't marginal). They found and effective way to make profits, they're not going to shoot themselves in the foot.

Now there is someone who is very informed. Thank you for elaborating it better.

It seems like people who don't know or care about how the industry works always complain about everything.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Please just be happy it's coming out at all.. why can't anime fans every be happy about anything... are we all that damn selfish??

ikillchicken wrote:
I'm happy about plenty of things. So are most if not all of the other complainers I'm sure. Hence, this criticism really does not apply. Unless of course you're suggesting people shouldn't complain about anything which is simply absurd.

yes people can complain they have a right to I suppose but refer to my other post about anime fans never being pleased. You have seen or talked to plenty of anime fans other to know that most people are hard please in the fan-base. Hell the could offer a free voucher for a hand-job from the female va's and still not be happy...aye... i am just to old/damn cynical to care anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

It seems like people who don't know or care about how the industry works always complain about everything.

Except that Aniplex plan is going to cause Stagnation like it has in Japan. The current anime model in Japan rewards pandering to otaku and not quality. I don't think that's the business model that needs to be brought over to America.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Except that Aniplex plan is going to cause Stagnation like it has in Japan. The current anime model in Japan rewards pandering to otaku and not quality. I don't think that's the business model that needs to be brought over to America.

The only logical solution to that would be to NOT offer these premium sets at all to the North American crowd, meaning that most popular shows would never see the light of day on this side of the Pacific (like Megiddo accurately pointed out, a Baccano-type of release isn't always profitable). If you think that's a better solution then that's your prerogative, but as an individual I like having the option to buy those premium sets, or wait for an eventual regular edition a couple of years down the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Pandering to otaku doesn't effect the quality, the two are independent. The licenses in this article demonstrates the wide spectrum in quality anime aimed at otaku have. Plus the prices the business model in Japan supports isn't an otaku thing, it's a Japan thing. Americans are spoiled with low cost entertainment goods, Chinese are spoiled by cheap bootlegs, Aussies and Japanese get raped over hot coals in terms of prices.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Pandering to otaku doesn't effect the quality, the two are independent. The licenses in this article demonstrates the wide spectrum in quality anime aimed at otaku have. Plus the prices the business model in Japan supports isn't an otaku thing, it's a Japan thing. Americans are spoiled with low cost entertainment goods, Chinese are spoiled by cheap bootlegs, Aussies and Japanese get raped over hot coals in terms of prices.

If your main goal is to make a ton of money trying to get a certain type of person to watch your show than you're not going to make a good show.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a normal day at the office to me.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I like the shows Japan is making now, so I'm not sure what's been so utterly destructive about the mentality you are talking about. On this issue I'd have to agree more with the others. I think each season or at least every other season there has been one or 2 shows for me to rave about, whether that be Steins;Gate, Madoka, etc...

Certainly I admit there are a lot of mediocre shows that I liked but wouldn't try to get others interested in, but it's not like I like the vast majority of the TV produced in the States either, despite the lack of American TV having to do these kinds of releases.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You need to stop using that word, "entitled". It has become an empty buzzword to be tossed at any complaint you don't like and has lost any real meaning.

Obviously I'm not "entitled" to a BD. I am entitled to spend my money as I please however and I most certainly choose not to spend it on a company that expects me to settle for an inferior version of their product just so they can gouge people on the better version.
I need to stop? I don't throw it around at any complaint I don't like. It just seems to me many people here think Aniplex must give them whatever they want, which is true to the definition of "entitlement". They feel they deserve a Blu-ray like it's their birthright. You can't expect them to do whatever you want them to. They're a business, not a charity.

Also gouged? Clearly many don't feel they're being gouged (The very people they're targeting with these releases). You clearly haven't seen how happy the import crowd can be about what they buy. Go visit The Fandom Post, and ask the importers if they feel gouged, none of them will say yes.

I have three of Aniplex's imports, two of the Rurouni Kenshin BD's, and Fate/Zero. All three of them I felt was worth the money. I don't feel gouged at all by them, especially since I understand why those releases MUST be priced the way they are. You can't get the Japanese release the same day as them, and pay like $20 for it, it isn't going to freaking happen.
Quote:
This is a false dilemma. Just because I object to the lack of an affordable BD release hardly means I must be saying I wish we weren't getting a DVD either.
Then explain why you were so angry at them? Shouldn't you have been more like "No Blu-ray? Well at least those who don't mind a cheaper DVD release can get one."
Quote:
Again, a false dilemma. You make it sounds like a super expensive BD and a cheap DVD are simply the only possible options. Why though? Why should we be forced to settle for such an unpleasant choice?
It was a "Then & Now" comparison. Which is the better situation, the one we had a few weeks ago, or the one we have now? This is pretty much what this thread is all about

"Oh no, no dub and no Blu-ray! We're getting a regular edition DVD when originally it was sold as a limited edition $400 box set that's now going for $1000 on Amazon! We should all complain and expect Aniplex to do everything we want them to, instead of being grateful we're getting a cheaper release at all!"

Seriously, people have been begging and begging for a cheaper release since the Blu-ray sold out, and now we have one. Yet, people are going "Aniplex, go **** yourselves." when they're finally giving people a cheaper release.

Want to know what could happen? We could get a Blu-ray with a dub later on. Remember how Clannad was released in subbed-only DVD's? Due to good sales, Sentai realized it was in their best interests to dub it, and then later to release the Blu-ray. Good sales of a KnK DVD could lead to a Blu-ray with a dub later on. Maybe Aniplex is still under restrictions from Aniplex in Japan, and they are unable to put out the Blu-ray because of Aniplex in Japan, which is completely beyond their control.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

I have three of Aniplex's imports, two of the Rurouni Kenshin BD's, and Fate/Zero. All three of them I felt was worth the money. I don't feel gouged at all by them, especially since I understand why those releases MUST be priced the way they are.

So let me get this straight? You bought Samurai X: Reflections or the RK Movie and don't feel you where ripped off? Getting Reflections for free is a ripoff because it takes up space on my shelf. If someone wants me to put Reflections on my shelf than they need to pay me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11