• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Is that Strike Witches Blu-ray a complete series set? because if it is, I gotta buy that, I don't care that its over 300 bucks.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
Yes, it is a complete set. Not even Japan charges that much for a couple of episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EnolaGay1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'm in the camp of people who thought it was a fun watch but probably would never watch it again (maybe when the new season airs) and am surprised and cannot agree with the A- rating. I have little interest in talking pantsu, it's silly and excessive but hey, the first iteration of this concept were simply illustrations, right? SOme guy who said, "wouldn't it be neat to have a cute girl waering skimpy clothing in jet boots holding a big gun?" Why are they in panties? because it's neat.

I figure the reason Richard rates it as high as he did is because he has the obvious appreciation for the fighter pilot references and he can probably even identify which planes each of the girls anthropomorphize. I have no interest in that. The closest thing I had to appreciating that factor was Yeager's episode. The only girl whose name I recognized.

I believe I rated it "decent", almost considered rating good but no, it deserves it's spot.

I simply think the story is lacking, stuff just doesn't make sense... even aside from "the panty issue" (new indie rock band name there- pick it up while it's available). Maybe it would be all right to leave some of it a mystery for the purpose of universe/franchise building, but too much was left unexplained. As a self contained story this fails.

First of all I have never been able to understand why people just accept the "unexplainable aliens/bugs/angels that attack out of nowhere with ever adapting variation and are never explained" story. Any show that features this all too frequently used device deserves an immediate grade lowering in my opinion. From Evangelion, to Blue Gender to Dai-Guard , Godannar and etc.. In this show when spoiler[the one(s) tried to communicate] I thought for a moment this one might try to redeem itself, but no, they retreated from that. This part of the show also used the annoying device of the alien tech being used by the allied forces with predictable results, but we don't know how they got it, what any of that techno-mumble was or why what happened happened.

And then there is the time-line, age and maturation problem. It started in '39 right? The "present" is '44? But the oldest girl is the Major at 20 years old, right? So, the flashbacks of a couple of the girls then become an issue. The girls in the flashbacks seem to be as mature as they are in the present, but they apparently happened long enough ago that they are old issues for them. You have a girl that was having some sort of deep romantic relation at some point in the past but she's not older than 19 at the present, another girl's sister spoiler[ has been in a coma for so long that she seems to have lost hope for recovery] , yet seems she's the same age in flashbacks as her already young age. And our main character's age makes no sense, her father left when she was about to enter elementary school, died when she 10 and turns 15 during the run of the show- fit that one in there, I guess he was working on it before the '39 war started, because they had been around before that. I guess that makes some sense with the Major's age, in the picture she's in with the girl's father she looks to be 12 or 13 years old.

spoiler[And does the defeat of a single hive in "Galia" really mean the war is over? Or just for the show's purposes?]

So we have a collection of unanswered questions. It sounds like I'm trashing it, but hey, "decent" is still a positive rating. The outfit is neat-o, the girls are cute, the personalities are likable, the fight scenes aren't bad, the humor is pleasant and while occasionally naughty- not outrageous. Maybe the second season will answer some questions, maybe it will get better- or maybe it will be another pleasantly "decent" season.

But I hold that it currently doesn't deserve an A-. And imagine if the second season IS better... There's no wiggle room, it'll have to be a straight "A"? that's just not right.

On alien invasions, SW isn't the first and not the last to have aliens intervene in WWII. It's like any alien invasion plot, they just want to come out of nowhere and humanity has to fight against them. So it's not that hard to accept it. When watching this series I could have almost sworn this was written by Harry Turtledove or at least a bizarro plagiarism of his stories with females. (he's got WW2 with magic and WW2 with aliens).

Now one thing, we need to clarify and I'm sure that's what's on our mind is what do the aliens want? Cause from what I can tell so far they've just been a pack of animals who attack when they feel like it one at a time. And b-tards took out half of China as well. (Oh well, at least Guangzhou

As for the question has the war ended with the invasion of France? We only need to ask the question did Hitler give up when France was liberated? From what I can tell in the CD Dramas, there's still a clean up job in North Africa and Russia.

As for fanservice, read light novels please. No zoom in camera shots although there are one or two about the size of the American's breasts.
yuuno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about the late post but I just wanted to add that I agree with the A- and B+ ratings myself because I LOVE Strike Witches! I gave the show the same rating myself here (in my ANN profile). Anyway regarding whether the war ended after the defeat of Gallia hive, I think it's safe to assume that the war did not end (right away), considering that the second season is going to start next month (July 7, 2010). The witches need somebody to fight right? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8