• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece at Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SetaGinny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
SetaGinny wrote:
Uh, this message was VERY poorly worded and VERY misleading.

Viz is not in charge of releasing DVD uncuts of One Piece - One Piece is being done by 4Kids. 4Kids DVD releases always go through Funimation (such as Yugi-Oh) Viz has NOTHING to do with the anime release of One Piece.

Uh, you're wrong.

Viz is releasing / Distributing the One Piece DVDs for 4Kids. Cut versions, not the uncut versions.

As of right now Viz said that they aren't releasing uncut DVDs. This does not mean that 4Kids might let them, or someone else (FUNimation for example) release the uncuts in the future.

-t

I didn't know Viz had ANY rights to any of 4Kids titles. I always thought 4Kids released their own cuts, and Funimation the uncuts. Either way, I couldn't care less about the cut DVDs, or who is releasing them. It's a shame that Viz won't be doing uncuts as soon as the Naruto ones are coming out, but the important thing here is that this does not necessarily mean that there will NEVER be uncuts, from anywhere.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually FUNi releases their cut DVDs too. 4Kids is too cheap/busy to start up their own DVD distribution... thing.
Maceart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
To the person who said that Toei is dying, No, no no! Toei doesn't really give a crap about international licenses. They MADE the mahou shoujo revolution. Sailormoon? check. Ojamajo Doremi? check. Ashita no Nadja? check. And now, they're making gobs of money out of Pretty Cure.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
SetaGinny wrote:

I didn't know Viz had ANY rights to any of 4Kids titles. I always thought 4Kids released their own cuts, and Funimation the uncuts. Either way, I couldn't care less about the cut DVDs, or who is releasing them. It's a shame that Viz won't be doing uncuts as soon as the Naruto ones are coming out, but the important thing here is that this does not necessarily mean that there will NEVER be uncuts, from anywhere.

Up untill now FUNimation has been distributing most fo 4Kids' DVDs, cut & uncut.

They also helped market the uncut ones, but they weren't involved in production in any way.

-t
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Okay, TV-English dub only. Seriously, NO ONE LIKES IT. What is the point?

True, everybody I know likes only the manga because the only access to the anime they have is the dub. After reading the manga, I really looked forward to the anime, but the dub makes it so boring I'm not even that interested in the anime anymore.

What I'm hoping is that soon they'll release uncuts, although 4 Kids seems to have died from their uncut phase. Seriously, when was the last time a new uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVD was released?

Too bad ShoPro couldn't have dubbed One Piece, I'm really liking their Naruto dub so far.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kyuriko"]
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Too bad ShoPro couldn't have dubbed One Piece, I'm really liking their Naruto dub so far.

ShoPro didn't dub it. A studio in LA did. Distributors don't dub anime (except for ADV and FUNi).

Maceart wrote:
To the person who said that Toei is dying, No, no no! Toei doesn't really give a crap about international licenses. They MADE the mahou shoujo revolution. Sailormoon? check. Ojamajo Doremi? check. Ashita no Nadja? check. And now, they're making gobs of money out of Pretty Cure.

He meant Toei's R1 distibution is dying, not the studio itself. Wink
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
ShoPro didn't dub it. A studio in LA did. Distributors don't dub anime (except for ADV and FUNi).

If by dub you mean provide the voices? Because the only dub that 4Kids didn't handle themselves was Shaman King.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Maceart wrote:

He meant Toei's R1 distibution is dying, not the studio itself. Wink

Addenum; I was also bemoaning how their also making really bad choices in trying to get into the R1 arena (e.g. Battle Royale's "unreasonable" demands).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8