• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Free!, Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
For the record I am usually fine with a sub only DVD release but Free! Is high profile, it deserves better.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Actually the more entitled fans on here want their blu-ray and dub, and they don't want to pay market prices for these luxaries(apparently Index and Railgun were disappointing in sales due to entitled fans holding out for a blu-ray).

There's nothing "entitled" about not wanting to waste your own money on a particular version of a product when, as history often suggests, the higher-quality one will be out later down the line. It's called "being prudent and wise with your money" and "patience". In Index/Railgun's case, it's hard to fault FUNimation when it's Kadokawa's M.O. If Railgun had a BD release from the start, I would have bought that (and fellow catalog-mate The Future Diary) in a heartbeat. I'm not going to spend money for a de-facto "inferior" version when there is a "superior" one out there and it's likely to come. That's not to be mean or cheap about it, it is what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Actually the more entitled fans on here want their blu-ray and dub, and they don't want to pay market prices for these luxaries(apparently Index and Railgun were disappointing in sales due to entitled fans holding out for a blu-ray).

So fans are entitled because they aren't paying for a product that they don't want? Did you say the same thing about people refusing to support VHS anymore back in the day?

The internet never ceases to amaze me Laughing

On topic, there's a few titles I'd purchase if they were on Blu Ray, but I'm not wasting money on an inferior format anymore.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of amazed that no one else hauled this out given the content, but YEEEES! YEEEES!

...now that that's out of my system, the Street Fighter II movie? Robot Carnival? Night on the Galactic Railroad of all things? Be still my heart, Discotek, you guys are amazing. I've heard great stuff about Vampire Hunter D too; hopefully they're able to pick up the original OVA as well down the line.

And as someone who doesn't really care about Free at all, just what are the roots of this whole situation that's led to such a wonky release setup? Did FUNi originally go after the second season exclusively, or did Crunchyroll beat them to the first, or some other weirdness?
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:

So fans are entitled because they aren't paying for a product that they don't want? Did you say the same thing about people refusing to support VHS anymore back in the day?

The internet never ceases to amaze me Laughing

On topic, there's a few titles I'd purchase if they were on Blu Ray, but I'm not wasting money on an inferior format anymore.

DVD is still by far the most bought format for home video. Blu-Ray is for collectors(which I realize that most anime fans are), but the industry cannot support Blurays under $50 for a new 12-episode series(market prices are closer to $100 and it seems like many are unwiling to pay the necessary prices in order for dubs and blurays to make sense for the smaller anime companies).

I could also mention that DVD was a bigger jump over VHS than Bluray has over DVD especially since most Bluray players will upscale the disc for you anyway. I'll say that I prefer Bluray for anime, but DVD is perfectly acceptable. I also buy AoA releases and I buy Sentai and NISA releases so I do have an idea of the range of what things go for these days.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Index/Railgun's case, it's hard to fault FUNimation when it's Kadokawa's M.O. If Railgun had a BD release from the start, I would have bought that (and fellow catalog-mate The Future Diary) in a heartbeat. I'm not going to spend money for a de-facto "inferior" version when there is a "superior" one out there and it's likely to come. That's not to be mean or cheap about it, it is what it is.
Except the reason why those two were DVD-only is because when FUNimation licensed them they got them DVD-only, back when BD's weren't always guaranteed. I mean The Sacred Blacksmith was DVD-only from FUNi (And still is!) when it was released in BD singles in Japan. FUNi got those two titles from Geneon Universal, not Kadokawa. Kadokawa has absolutely nothing to do with FUNi and Raildex.
Top Gun wrote:
And as someone who doesn't really care about Free at all, just what are the roots of this whole situation that's led to such a wonky release setup? Did FUNi originally go after the second season exclusively, or did Crunchyroll beat them to the first, or some other weirdness?
The second question in this Answerman column explains some things.

Simply put CR got S1 right away, and with it they got home video rights in order to stream it. Because FUNimation originally showed no interest in the show, they're now not able to release S1 as it's in CR's and Discotek's hands. If FUNi pursued Free! in the first place, they would have gotten the rights to S1, not just S2 when they suddenly realized what they initially passed on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

DVD is still by far the most bought format for home video. Blu-Ray is for collectors(which I realize that most anime fans are), but the industry cannot support Blurays under $50 for a new 12-episode series(market prices are closer to $100 and it seems like many are unwiling to pay the necessary prices in order for dubs and blurays to make sense for the smaller anime companies).

Funimation, Sentai, NIS, and Viz all release titles that are a little higher than $50 MSRP, but no one pays MSRP anymore. If you aren't getting the titles for less than $50, or around in NIS' case, then it's either a deluxe limited edition type of release or you don't know how to shop. That's not including Aniplex and Ponycan of course.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll add that I'd actually be okay with a rise in prices as long as it's not to Aniplex/Ponycan levels. The market does seem to be sustaining itself as far as we know right now, so I'd argue that the market isn't sustainable argument is false until we have information that says otherwise.
AbZeroNow wrote:
I could also mention that DVD was a bigger jump over VHS than Bluray has over DVD especially since most Bluray players will upscale the disc for you anyway. I'll say that I prefer Bluray for anime, but DVD is perfectly acceptable. I also buy AoA releases and I buy Sentai and NISA releases so I do have an idea of the range of what things go for these days.

DVD is not acceptable for me. The jump to DVD from VHS was greater, but I still don't see why people would want to pay for a worse product especially these days where streaming gives you similar quality. And upscaling still isn't nearly as nice as a proper Blu Ray release especially if you have a nice set up. I buy releasing from NIS, AoA, Sentai, Viz, and Funi too, so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:

There's nothing "entitled" about not wanting to waste your own money on a particular version of a product when, as history often suggests, the higher-quality one will be out later down the line. It's called "being prudent and wise with your money" and "patience". In Index/Railgun's case, it's hard to fault FUNimation when it's Kadokawa's M.O. If Railgun had a BD release from the start, I would have bought that (and fellow catalog-mate The Future Diary) in a heartbeat. I'm not going to spend money for a de-facto "inferior" version when there is a "superior" one out there and it's likely to come. That's not to be mean or cheap about it, it is what it is.

It's also possible that Funimation based on their sales numbers just won't release Railgun S on Bluray since they will believe that it won't be worth the cost of it(or Geneon Universal might be angry that Funimation basically said that the Japanese forced them to use an inferior audio option on the Index Movie BD. The Japanese hate it when you talk about Fight Club.)

Yes, it could be that the Japanese delayed it because of their valid concerns about reverse importation. But why throw good money after bad if the DVD doesn't sell. The "no BD no buy" philosophy could certainly backfire and companies see people just as being unwilling to support a particular show.
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Robot Carnival in decades. I'll happily pick that one up.

And I might be the only one, but I'm glad Galilei Donna is going to be available, even if only in DVD. The story was all over the place, but the characters were great and I'll be purchasing it as well.

As to DVD vs. BluRay, I'll always take the BluRay if it's available. But since I remember importing Iczer-One laserdiscs at $150 a pop (in late '80s dollars), and scouring Usenet for folks quietly selling fandubs of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars on VHS, I'm pretty happy that pretty much everything is available, in some form or another.

Now if someone, anyone, would license Hyouka (no, I will never give up hope!)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Actually the more entitled fans on here want their blu-ray and dub

Entitled? Not really. Pragmatic, yes. What logic is there in spending twenty bucks for a product that looks better streaming for pennies?

Besides, we didn't buy HDTVs, BD players, and speakers to not fully use them. I think the last vestige of argument for DVD over BD was for that person who keeps bringing up how Qwaser season 1 or older JC Staff anime in HD might not necessitate BD, but for the greater volume of anime out there since 2009, that argument is over.

We're also entitled to pass a release up because a company is not entitled to our business.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and I'll add that I'd actually be okay with a rise in prices as long as it's not to Aniplex/Ponycan levels. The market does seem to be sustaining itself as far as we know right now, so I'd argue that the market isn't sustainable argument is false until we have information that says otherwise.
Well yes, but lowering prices didn't do anything to help. In 2010 singles disappeared, and what happened? Sales declined, A LOT as there wasn't really an increase in buyers. http://i.imgur.com/u6hVSjI.jpg (We'll have the updated report around April this year. This is done bi-yearly, and maybe this time ANN will report on it. They did on the last one, but not the current one.)

What helps is licensings costs are no longer insane like they used to be. It costs more to dub a show now than it does to license it, and you need less than 10,000 copies sold for something to be a good seller with a dub (Subbed seems to be 3,000 going by what Sentai stated was a good seller for them years ago at a con). Back in the day that could be considered bad.
shterraarson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Took the words right outta my mouth. I mean, this is kind of nuts.

Why can't things be simple? Crying or Very sad

This is why we can't have nice things. Too many companies scrambling and fighting over titles. Sad buh. i am dissapoint.

Edit: Please refrain from Excessive Quoting. Thank you. Since you are new you'll get this one free warning. ~ Psycho 101
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Well yes, but lowering prices didn't do anything to help. In 2010 singles disappeared, and what happened? Sales declined, A LOT as there wasn't really an increase in buyers. http://i.imgur.com/u6hVSjI.jpg (We'll have the updated report around April this year. This is done bi-yearly, and maybe this time ANN will report on it. They did on the last one, but not the current one.)

What helps is licensings costs are no longer insane like they used to be. It costs more to dub a show now than it does to license it, and you need less than 10,000 copies sold for something to be a good seller with a dub (Subbed seems to be 3,000 going by what Sentai stated was a good seller for them years ago at a con). Back in the day that could be considered bad.

I never said that lowering prices helped. I merely said that the market seems to have stabilized. We obviously don't know companies financials, but it seems that way as far as face value goes. I actually agree that companies have devalued their product too much, but we are getting way off topic here.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited to see Robot Carnival listed. This was one of my gateway animes, so I've been wanting this for a very long time.
iatheia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually prefer dvds. I have a tiny tv on which I really cannot see the difference one way or another. But I found from few blu rays that I do have is that the subtitles are less readable than on dvd. They are too transparent, too small, too blurry. I read somewhere long ago that they are supposed to be adjustable to user's preference, but I am yet to find an option that would allow me to do that. Perhaps I just need to have a screen the size of the wall to be able to make them out easier. So dvd only release doesn't bother me.

Neither do I really care much about a dub. After hearing one too many old dubs that nearly caused my ears to bleed, I didn't even see a point of having one. So I never bothered to switch the track to english until couple of month ago, when I had a movie night with a friend who isn't into anime, and we were doing things in the background, so a dub helped. I guess they have improved a lot nowadays, and in this particular situation of watching it with other people there is a benefit of having a dub, but just for myself, I have no need of one.

What is mildly disappointing in the case of Free is that the design layout of the boxes will not be compatible, but it is a small hassle of dealing with when there is an american release of a sports anime. Just, dammit, years ago I gave up any hope of having any sports anime to be licensed any more. But both Haikyuu and Free? That is an exceptional treat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10