• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tohru may still love Kobayashi, but we've come a long way from her pronouncement of sexual love in the earliest episodes

That holds only true for the anime,so far-if the anime could only get to the Iruru storylines.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12,

I've already read the manga but the anime does such a good job at adapting it I enjoy it just as much a second time. Sadly next episode is the last, I'm guessing its her father, unless they decide to throw Iruru in last minute, although that doesn't make too much sense as a final episode. Or maybe they'll do an anime original to wrap it up.

Either way, I do hope they do another season of this, or at the very least adapt another one of the author's series. They are all pretty damn adorable, although none of them are quite as unique as this one.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:43 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
So, tl;dr, from my perspective the New Year's money scene was also a tacit admission from Kobayashi that she not only considers Tohru and Kanna her family, but she's realized that her relationship with them has moved her from the "kid" category to the "raising the next generation with her family unit" category. And I found that adorable.

I fully agree! There were nuanced moments of self-reflection in episode 11 that managed to blend so harmoniously with its otherwise flippant tone. Tohru's reluctance to tell her mother about her new life, despite its fully positive nature, was a relatable conveyance of the liminality between childhood and undisputed maturity with which we are all familiar.
If there is a neatly-packaged message to draw from Tohru's character as a whole, it is that embracing one's adulthood is greatly aided through developing a quiet, stable love for certain people, and for oneself by extension.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Leave it to the anime about lesbian dragons to get an A-. Apparently they win again. Confused
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fafnir and Takiya have also established a comfortable companionship as close friends, which we see when Takiya comes home drenched from an unexpected rainstorm to find that Fafnir has laid out a towel and dry clothes for him. Fafn

we also got a similar scene for lucoa and shouta, the one wher lucoa is treating shouta like a child instead of a sex enabled adult.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt your regular scheduled Kanna-chan to say how amazing this show is. Let's talk about freedom. Let's talk about reappropriation. Let's talk about reclamation of agency. My god. Absolutely beautiful couple of minutes there with bandit girl.

Also, the ending. Just wow.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
Leave it to the anime about lesbian dragons to get an A-. Apparently they win again. Confused

Hey now, it's a really good show imo. I think it really does deserve that score with how excellent its characterization and emotional execution have consistently been since it began airing. Also, I may be missing some crucial thing here, but isn't Tohru the only lesbian dragon in the show? I mean, even if you counted Kobayashi, it's never really been suggested at all so far that she's gay in any way. Again, unless I'm missing something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
About question of a high grade and as an adaption, I recently saw some good videos on YouTube that talked about how K-ON as an adaption was actually fantastic in how it took its source and kind of perfected what it was. It is likely no pure coincidence that Kyoto Animation can be behind the adaption of something that looks like pure fluff, but through some solid execution can actually make something that is pretty good.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
This was probably one of the few shows this season that should have held my interest, but I got bored with it a long time ago and stopped watching. Maybe it's just that slice of life shows have become so hard for me to enjoy. I mean, at least this one has dragons, which obviously I love if you look at the avatar pic I've been using for years. However, I have never liked Tohru thus far. She comes across as the same annoying female love interest who is ridiculously obsessed (usually in a totally over the top way) with the self insert lead that I've seen in hundreds of other shows.

When I can't connect with her type of character the show falls flat for me. Maybe I would like some of the other dragons, so I might come back and watch this later, but I think Tohru is dead to me.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
the self insert lead that I've seen in hundreds of other shows.

Dude, Kobayashi is nothing like a self-insert character. I don't know how much of the show you watched, but any hint of that being the case was completely disposed of very quickly. And yes, Kanna, Elma and Fafnir are all superior girls/dragons compared to Tohru. Every episode focusing on Kanna especially is so good.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
the self insert lead that I've seen in hundreds of other shows.

Dude, Kobayashi is nothing like a self-insert character. I don't know how much of the show you watched, but any hint of that being the case was completely disposed of very quickly. And yes, Kanna, Elma and Fafnir are all superior girls/dragons compared to Tohru. Every episode focusing on Kanna especially is so good.

I watched the first few episodes then stopped. I don't know how you mean by self insert was "quickly" disposed of, but when I was watching she came across as the usual dispassionate, disinterested lead who isn't deeply developed. The usual dynamic was there - crazed waifu love interest (Tohru) goes absolutely insane trying to please the main character. Main character acts oblivious and disinterested to all of insane waifus advances and lovelorn attempts to show affection. This just makes insane waifu even more obsessed and over the top with pleasing main character. Also, usually there is an extremely attractive secondary love interest who enters the scene (often unannounced) and main character starts spending time with that secondary character, innocently perhaps, and without the slightest understanding that this is making insane waifu even more over the top out of jealousy. Eventually insane waifu gets "hurt emotionally" because main character has been ignoring or failing to acknowledge her love. Main character suddenly "gets it," calls them self a big idiot or is called that by friends, and shows he/she really does care for insane waifu in some touching scene toward the end.

This is the usual arc of the self insert main character. Since I haven't watched the show all the way I don't know if that's how it plays out, but based on what I saw early it looked like that was going to be it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
@ CK - I feel like I have suffiicient knowledge of your viewpoint to assure you that you'd probably be wasting your time trying to continue on with this show at a later date. I love it and will almost certainly give it an Excellent rating, but you pointed out that right now you aren't really down with the episodic nature of a comedic SOL which this show has. And although Kobayashi does warm up to Tohru, I'm not sure it is to an extent that you personally would find satisfying. Tohru's devotion to Kobayashi never wavers which would doubtlessly get up your nose. The last episode really underscored why that devotion is there, but again, I wouldn't be confident that you would find it all that satisfying.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Tohru's devotion to Kobayashi never wavers which would doubtlessly get up your nose. The last episode really underscored why that devotion is there, but again, I wouldn't be confident that you would find it all that satisfying.

I just think it would be uproariously appropriate if in a single one of these shows, the unrequited waifu love interest (who by the way is ALWAYS smoking hot, so why in the world would main character NOT want to bask in all of her attention) would just be like, "Oh, you're not interested? Okay, now I'm dating your best friend. Boom!"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Kobayashi often gets portrayed as almost old man like crotchety by the dragons with a lack of interest in physical activities, and can have a pretty big switch flip with maids or getting drunk, she does not feel like that much insert. A few episodes in she was pretty much bragging to one of Tohru's friends that she appreciates Tohru's part in her life, the charm really comes in that they feel like a family. I can't think of many anime waifu who are consistently half the time a scary dragon out to get every threat, and as much as she has had to learn to be a bit more human Kobayashi has come to expect that sometimes they just have to be dragon.

But still of that does not mean everyone is going to or hast to like it.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, literally the whole focus of the show is Kobayashi gaining a sense of love and compassion for her new "family," which is what I was talking about when I said the "self-insert" feeling is disposed of. It's gradual though. The other thing about her is that, contrary to your assumptions, she really has no sexual or romantic interest in Tohru. So while Tohru does get jealous in one episode, Kobayashi hardly reacts with any huge epiphany or something that makes her realize "she loved the dragon the whole time." They play it more as her realizing that she needs to learn to communicate with her loved ones more clearly now that such people are actually in her life. And there really isn't any alternate romantic rival in the show either. Hell, I'd assert that the show is hardly --- if at all --- a romance at all, aside from expressing the concept of familial love. Unless most teenage anime fans have always really wanted to be parents, I don't see how Kobayashi is in any way a self insert protagonist. Again, I highly recommend watching the episode where Kanna goes to school or the one where she participates in the field day. These two exemplify Kobayashi's depth of character and growth as a mother figure very effectively, and emotionally too. I think that the term "self insert" is thrown around way too loosely these days anyway. As long as you can relate to their circumstances relatively well, pretty much ANY character could be considered as such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9