• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing Ultimate (OAV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
OVA 5 comes out at the end of this month I believe in Japan, so we'll be waiting a good while for it as usual. I hope nothing really changes with the new director and madhouse and all. I like Madhouse, but I hate when animation just suddenly changes, really bugs me especially cause i'm a fan of the artstyle they've already chosen. If they mess up this series with the new director i've lost all faith in hellsing.
wormraper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
I just binge watched the 1st four volumes of this show because I couldn't wait anymore. Usually I wait for a a full series to be complete before watching but I needed my vampire fix. Gotta love it Very Happy, just wish they would come out faster Very Happy.

The only grip I have with the releases is the audio between the special editions and the regular editions. I understood that there was a DTS track on the limited editions with another special features disc. I was fine with missing out on the DTS track because it was in English only and I don't listen to dubs (personal choice). But what I found reprehensible was that the Japanese audio track on the regular edition is a 2.0 stereo track while the 5.1 track is on the Limited edition!! I understand that the DTS track is "special" along with the special features track but it is ridiculous to NOT INCLUDE the darn 5.1 Dolby Digital track on the regular edition. I mean I would understand if they had a 2.0 track on the limited edition for the Dolby digital track and then had the kick a$$ DTS track, but if the track has already been mastered why in bloody blazes was it not included on the standard editions??!! that is just a plain evil way of trying to force you to get a special edition and spend copious amounts more when a 5.1 dolby track already exists, but they decided to master ANOTHER track and have it be a 2.0 track on the regular edition. Just cheap in my opinion.

/rant
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I realise I'm slightly late to the party but I've finally gotten around to watching Volume IV so I thought I would go ahead and post my thoughts on it.

I have to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in Hellsing Ultimate. Its not that it hasn't been good. However I had hoped it could be the amazing adaptation that the TV series failed to be by crapping out so much in the end. This does that in many ways by blowing the TV series away in terms of plot and animation. However, I can't help but feel like it has lost something. There was just something about the TV series. It had this amazing stylish and spooky coolness and atmosphere that made it great in spite of it's flaws. I guess the music was a big part of that. Particularity the opening theme which just set the perfect mood for each episode. There was also just something about it though that I can't quite describe. It was that which truly set Hellsing apart to me. While the OVA is still very good it's disappointing to think of what could have been if the strengths of the TV series and the OVA could be put together. Of course, even without achieving that this is still excellent. Realistically, I'm probably setting my expectations too high. Anyway, I found the first volume a little choppy and rushed in terms of plot. They really didn't have enough time to adequately address both episodes. However the content itself of the plot and characters was excellent. The action was absolutely beautiful of course, which is probably why I loved the second volume which was so much more action focused and less plot focused. The third volume was the best yet. It seemed a little strange that Alucard and/or Integra would not be more cautious in creating such a public scene. I can understand not caring if people get killed in the crossfire, but they are supposed to be a secret organization. That was pretty minor though. Volume four is a little tough to judge because it primarily sets up future events. It was still solidly enjoyable on it's own though and I was happy to see a bit of that stylishness and atmosphere I felt was lacking. I continue to be put off by the comedy relief though. I know it's in the manga but this is a case where a change would have been an improvement. (Reminds me of the Ghost in the Shell movie vs manga.) It really seems out of place and disrupts the flow and suspense of the series. It's not really that funny either. I think volume 5 will really make or break this. Things seem to have all been building up to this point and with volume 4 showing hints of what I loved about the TV series, the next episode has the potential to really break out and turn this series into the masterpiece I hope it can be.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
To really understand what's going on and what makes the series what it is, I would suggest reading the manga. Because then you have an understanding and an appreciation for the OVA versus the TV series. I watched the TV series at first, was impressed with it until the end, which I had hoped would turn out better. Then I read the manga, which I liked alot, and then they came out with Hellsing Ultimate. Thankfully I can say that I have not been too disappointed with it, if at all.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
subs are out for OAV 5... my god that was incredible. not only was it the best volume so far, but it was one of the best OAVs i've seen awhile. the only complaint i had was spoiler[Alucard and Seras were nowhere to be found, but it was great to see everyone else being awesome for a change, though]
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Besides the fact that Alucard was on for 30 seconds, it wasn't a bad OVA overall. No character development unfortunately, was mostly pure action, which is cool, but I like to see story after waiting so long. Ah well, as long as they show spoiler[ Seras getting her eyes cut by whatsherface i'm happy.]
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I found the ending to be extremely spoiler[anti-climatic. It felt like very little actually occurred and the way he temporarily died had an utter lack of action. They were also so thorough in preventing loose ties that it felt like they were going out of their way.]

spoiler[Walter, Professor, and wolf-guy were all disposed of in a way that made it feel like they had to be removed so the next item on the checklist could be dealt with. The death of Major and Schrodinger was handled in a manner that contributed, though. There was also the guy that shot Walter and he just had to make an appearance at the end to tell everyone "that's where that guy is, he's doing well."]

Usually, I don't mind the amount of talking in Hellsing, but spoiler[when you don't have much going on and the talking just keeps going: one of the most explosion-filled animes around takes on a dull tone.]

Last edited by Rhyono on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Even though I try to watch all the episodes of this, I always find myself forgetting about it every year until something reminds me to see the year's episode.

btw, what episode was it thatspoiler[ Anderson stabbed himself with that piece of metal?] That's the last time I watched before forgetting.

...thanks for reminding me btw.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Decided to merge the thread for the final episode with this one.

Needles to say, I didn't keep it updated because I never got a hold of any episodes past number 3 (legally, anyway), so I apologize.

Guess I could update it whenever FUNi decides to release a complete box set or something.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
spoiler[There was also the guy that shot Walter and he just had to make an appearance at the end to tell everyone "that's where that guy is, he's doing well."]

That's Heinkel and she's a woman... Maybe. It's complicated. She was one of the main characters of a spin off.

@Gon*Gon: That's episode 8.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
If you saw the full fight with Anderson (and part of the fight with Walter): you've seen every episode except for 10.

Vaisaga wrote:
@Gon*Gon: That's episode 8.

The fight starts in 8, but does continue through 9.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
The fight starts in 8, but does continue through 9.

Episode 8 ends with Anderson stabbing himself with the Nail of Helena, which is likely the scene Gon*Gon is remembering.
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
The last OVA was ok i guess,but i found it a little too rushed.They delayed it for 6 months so i thought it was gonna be good.Instead all there was,was talking.spoiler[The Major explaining his plan and Alucard insulting Walter].That was all there was.Also i never got what happened to Alucard.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I had already read the manga so I knew about the spoiler[cop out ending and agree that it was kind of a let down.]
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
@MrDandi97 I'll try to explain it in a comprehensible manner (which may not be possible).
First, briefly glance at this. Based on your individual paradox tolerance: it may cause you a headache.

So the answer is essentially that spoiler[by absorbing Schrödinger's cat (the cat-boy), which can be alive or dead (or as used in the anime's case: existent or non-existent), it creates a paradox in Alucard's own existence.

The cat is the only party that knows its own predicament, but when the cat loses that ability (being absorbed amongst many souls), what happens then?]

The theory expressed here is not even in the realm of quantum mechanics, really. It is applying quantum mechanics to something that defies science, and thus is a lot like arguing over what type of dinosaur Jesus liked to ride.

I could shoot holes in the theory all day, but I tried to explain it to you in their warped logic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8