• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Revenge of the Special Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Zac wrote:
Beck was Funimation.

Damn, I was certain that I remembered first hearing about that one at a Geneon panel. Oh, well.

You forgot that Geneon had a nice little collector's box for Saiunkoku.

I remember when Geneon shows it at Otakon 2007...I didn't know much about the show (the premise interested me though since I've seen plenty of live-action Chinese dramas set that time period), but that artbox sold me on it.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
How many of you here with large collections of shows that date back to the 1980's and 1990's are under the age of thirty?

I'm 28, and though my collection isn't terribly large (only a few hundred DVDs), I would say at least half of the titles I own are from the 90's, and at least a quarter are from the 80's. I have a personal preference for the cultural and artistic sensibilities of late 80's to mid-90's anime though, so it may not be a representative sampling.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Late might anime are infomercials? Really? I can't believe tv toukyou would go to all the trouble of creating internet content for a late night infomercial: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/natsume4/.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
I'm also disappointed that NIS America's box sets weren't mentioned. I feel their limited, premium editions really accentuate the reason I'm watching the shows.

I agree that Crunchyroll has made a real break through. I like that I can watch the shows from anywhere, any time on my Kindle Fire, Droid, laptop, home computer, or streaming from my laptop to my TV. It's got me watching immensely more anime and has resulted in me purchasing more as well.

Personally, I'm only in the market for complete collections of shows unless they have a ton of goodies with the individual collections (i.e. NIS's releases). I've only been purchasing sets that are under $50 unless they are limited editions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Late might anime are infomercials? Really? I can't believe tv toukyou would go to all the trouble of creating internet content for a late night infomercial: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/natsume4/.

Why is it so hard to believe? Unless the distributors succeed in selling DVD's and BD's they are not going to be able to continue to pay TV Tokyo to put the late anime on the air. So TV Tokyo has a stake in the success of the infomercial.
andyscout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
My favorite special edition was Haruhi. I bought all of the limited edition boxes (which, fortunately there were only 4 and were closer to $30 than the Lucky Star ones). It was very similar, however. It came with a very similar box for the DVDs as well as CD soundtracks and some other odds and ends like Haruhi's headband and armband.

The second season and movie? The second season only saw a 'budget' release, while the movie at least got a blu-ray edition, though still without any swag.

I agree with that other poster though. NIS America's releases have been pretty nice. A heafty box with nice art on it and an art book inside. My only concern with them is that their large size makes them very hard to include on a shelf with other DVDs.

As far as rewatching, I definitely rewatch series from time to time. I bought Ah My Goddess during RightStuf's holiday sale and rewatched that when it came in. It's funny that you mention Eden of the East and FMA as ones you wouldn't watch again, but I've seen both of those at least three times although part of that reason was because I watched them with friends. Thinking about it, most of the times I rewatch something it is because I bought it and I want to remember the show or see how the English release was treated.
DifferentD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
While I enjoy the value and convenience of streaming anime (especially the simulcasts from Crunchyroll etc), I will always prefer to own a physical copy of what I enjoy.

I've only been collecting anime & manga for about 2 years now so I missed out on many of the special editions you all have been talking about. But I do have the gorgeous sp. ed. box collections for both My-Hime and My-Z-Hime as well as Samurai Champloo volumes + art box, xxxholic volumes + art box & Fate Stay Night volumes, art box + sp. ed. clock.

My favorite has to be the Wagnaria Premium edition though from NISA.

I also agree with what most people have said here about re-watching what they own. A lot of anime that I've bought I haven't seen until I've owned it, but I don't own anything yet that I wont wind up watching again at some point. The anime I revisit the most is probably Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Samurai Champloo, Death Note and Shin Chan. I tend to re-watch comedy the most because it's fun and easy to watch while I surf the net or something.

While I don't expect to get entire series' for $20-$30.. I know that if the market turns into $100+ series' or half series I just wont be able to afford to support it. I just hope that we can continue to see a mix of high priced collector sets and still get more affordable series sets for the rest of us.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
We're certainly moving away from what had been the way people thought about what it is to be a fan through collecting tangible items to one where such items aren't necessary in today's disposable world.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
God do I miss the anime boom of the first half of the 00's, if only I knew how preciously brief those years would be....

but of course this article reminds me of what the problem was, just how unbelievably expensive so much of that stuff would be

I used to think that anime was a rich kid's hobby (still kinda do, as a matter of fact)
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Why is it so hard to believe? Unless the distributors succeed in selling DVD's and BD's they are not going to be able to continue to pay TV Tokyo to put the late anime on the air. So TV Tokyo has a stake in the success of the infomercial.

I think Mike Toole and the others on AWO made it perfectly clear the differences between how Japan and America handles these programs and the way it's done made sense to me.

Joe Carpenter wrote:
God do I miss the anime boom of the first half of the 00's, if only I knew how preciously brief those years would be....

At least you have something to tell your grandkids one day.

Quote:
I used to think that anime was a rich kid's hobby (still kinda do, as a matter of fact)

Hell look at comics in general given the type of people who do get into it. Sickening!
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
there is not a single anime disc in my entire collection that is worth more than what I paid for it... at least not that i Know about.

I dont know why you would think collecting anime is a good investment, unless you meant for our own enjoyment.

Im sure some guy in japan with his 9 macross laser discs collection is pondering whether or not he made a good investment.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
there is not a single anime disc in my entire collection that is worth more than what I paid for it... at least not that i Know about.

I don't know why you would think collecting anime is a good investment, unless you meant for our own enjoyment.

Im sure some guy in japan with his 9 macross laser discs collection is pondering whether or not he made a good investment.

I see we're certainly moving away from that mindset that we had in the last century these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8