• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
I am way behind on 2nd episodes due to obnoxious real life issues like encroaching ground water in my basement and such, but so far my faves this season are:

1. Tie: Gargantia and RDG - Story and art both at a very high level for both of these.
3. Devil is a part timer - This is more serious than I expected, but also extremely funny because of that. Does that make sense?
4. Arata the Legend - I only read the first chapter of the manga, so I can't really compare. So far I really like the show.
5. Photo Kano - I would prefer if it followed the story of the "Sweet Snap" manga instead of having him join the pervert club, but I enjoy the basics of the story and the designs. I really liked the way they "stepped up" the art quality on things he took pictures of (and the "photo" like things in the ED) it is a nice way to highlight the photos. I would prefer if the background art were less generic in the first place though.

Majestic Prince and Leviathan were enjoyable, but not overly so. I am not sure if I can get past the character designs for MP.

There is so much I haven't had a chance to watch even the first episode though... Confused
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
foxinthestars wrote:

I felt the same way. My big problem with ep. 2 is that too many things in it just happened for no good reason until it started to look silly. I'm still curious about some aspects of it --- like I still want to know what's going on with Karoku --- which is better than I can say about some shows, but I don't think that's enough to keep me on board at this point.

I usually don't post here but since you mentioned Karneval:
Some manga fans of Karneval(myself included) feel that they are rushing things and are skipping some important parts of the manga.
I'm not going to go over what since that would spoil the whole thing but all I'm saying is, if one important part of chapter 2 had been explained in the first two episodes, it would make much, MUCH more sense.

What scares me regarding Karneval is that it seems like they're going to cover material till volume 6(judging by the ED) but how they're gonna crap all of that in 12-13 episodes....I just don't know. I have a feeling a lot of important stuff will be skipped.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Key, I completely understand that you still think lowly of the first episode even though you thought the second episode was alright. However, you seem to miss my point; that you're flat-out wrong for hating on the first episode. It wasn't good - I have always admitted that - but it wasn't god-awful terrible either. I quickly scanned through your ratings in the past two years of Preview Guides, and I don't have to look long nor hard to find episodes of equal or lesser quality to Date A Live's first episode which nevertheless got better scores from you.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
However, you seem to miss my point; that you're flat-out wrong for hating on the first episode. .

Because this makes sense, right?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
An episode can be weak without being so terrible as to warrant the overreaction we saw from Key.

So yes, it does make sense.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ikc, something tells me you're not quite picking up on the point of these last few FoE posts. Unless your post too is a parody and I'm just missing it. My apologies if I am.

Are they kidding Blood? Are they really? God, I just...can't tell anymore. Maybe they are just making fun of people complaining. Maybe. But maybe not. Those comments are hardly out of line with the rest of what I'm hearing from the Flowers of Evil hate mob. I mean, that's hardly the most ridiculous thing I've heard said about the show. When you're dealing with crazy people the line between parody and actual insanity becomes blurred. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Trust me, ikc, they're kidding. You can be forgiven for not picking up on it, though. I have to admit it took me a second or two to key into the dog one. As soon as I realized what the poster was doing I cracked up and then made my post. Parse Error definitely got into the spirit of things too.

It's a sad commentary on just how over the top knobbish the show's visual detractors got that these parody posts could be mistaken for the real thing.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the last couple were definitely intended to make fun of the real haters.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Poe's Law at work in the secular world. Smile
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's a sad commentary on just how over the top knobbish the show's visual detractors got that these parody posts could be mistaken for the real thing.

Of course, the show's visuals have actual issues and pretending they don't isn't any better.

Here is a good analysis of the actual problems with the show's use of rotoscoping, from someone who likes it.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
; Divergence Eve had a notoriously bad first episode, for instance, but it still ended up being a respectable sci fi horror story.

Haha, I forgot about that! Divergence Eve's first episode was only bad because it was in the wrong order for no reason. It was the 12th episode. Nothing else to it. I get that they were going for an in medias res or frametale or something like that, but it really didn't work. The show is pretty solid, but if I were to recommend anyone watch it, I'd tell them to watch the episodes in internal chronological order.
tearitdown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Of course, the show's visuals have actual issues and pretending they don't isn't any better.

Was there anyone here putting forth the claim that the show's visuals had no flaws? I may have missed it. If they were their position is completely indefensible. I think you're conflating defense of merits with absolute worship, but I'm not about to confirm this by rereading the thread.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with the person in that article pretty much 100%^^ The animation is cheap and awkward, but I still really love the visuals, despite and because of that.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Here is a good analysis of the actual problems with the show's use of rotoscoping, from someone who likes it.

The end of that blog post sums it up pretty well:
Quote:
Are these so-called failures lazy? Do they end up enhancing the work? To both of these questions, I say, “absolutely.”

Say what you will about its technical merits, but for myself and some number of others, these supposed flaws actually lend it a very eerie, continuously unsettling quality, which makes it immensely more interesting to watch than it otherwise would have been. Not only that, but the horrifying and unforgivable mistakes I've seen people moaning about and claiming to have dropped the show over are at least as petty and absurd as the ones we brought up earlier.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

An interesting article about how Aku no Hana is good, thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 76