• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the same people liked both, but I gather that Railgun pipped Index at the post in terms of popularity.
That's suggested by the ratings information on this site, for example, and by Key's review of Railgun.
Rathchet

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Toradora last night and i loved every second of it!
I just wish the ending was a bit more complete. Because there are questions like: spoiler[ is Taiga back for good, or is she just visiting? Where is she living now? With Ryuji?]
But apart from that, I really liked it. There was a good mixture of comedy and drama and there weren't any weak characters that I can think of off the top of my head.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I have decided to eliminate the NIS releases from my backlog and have been knocking em down on a fair clip. I own them all currently, and will own them own them all in the future.

Persona Trinity Soul: I am about as big of a fan of the Persona Games as I can imagine. Initially put off by this show, I think it does a good job of telling a decent, if unrelated, story. I would put it above the recent P4 anime which I own and have watched.
Zakuro: This one surprised me, a simple yet pretty moving/entertaining story. Turn of the century military teaming up with half wolf spirits to take down rogue spirits. If you can not spot the future bad guy in the first episode, you are truly blind. Still plays out enjoyably.
Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up: The definition of stupid fun. I am not sure on the translations, but I really liked the shear overload of American rock references."Only KISS is allowed to rock this hard at night."
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl Much like Penquindrum, this one made me think a bit, I thought I was being fed one thing, but it changed, and changed again. I was slack jawed at the climax and all that it somewhat implied but not definitively stated. Why was this made? What was it going for? I am not sure if I was played, or awed.
Pandora Hearts My least favorite NIS release. The grain issue on the first set must be seen to be believed, but I can get past that.
This story is so twisted, with so many absolute declarations violated time and time again, that by the end, I was only interested in reading wiki to find out what the true motivations were.
After wiki.... even 150 episodes would have seemed rushed laying the groundwork for every motivation/plot twist.

Natsume's Book of Friends: I am about 20 episodes in, and I have found my new Aria. One-off stories each week with slow world building spanning each episode, many of which leave you weeping with happiness... very similar to Aria for me.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Just started Ixion Saga DT this weekend and I'm surprised that I'm really enjoying it. I didn't know it was going to be a parody going in and have been pleasantly surprised at its troll-ish sense of humor. The first episode was pretty brilliant, doing a great job of making fun of fantasy-adventure stories and had me really laughing. I'm 7 episodes in, and have started to notice that a few jokes are stretched a little further than they should have been, but as of yet it isn't taking away from the fun of this very entertaining show.
born2die

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
Right now I am currently watching Soul Eater, it has become one of my favorites for the fact that the characters can make me laugh, Death the Kid and Stein have proven to be worthy characters and the chemistry between Maka and Soul make me want to melt into a Popsicle or something weird
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Pandora Hearts My least favorite NIS release. The grain issue on the first set must be seen to be believed, but I can get past that.
This story is so twisted, with so many absolute declarations violated time and time again, that by the end, I was only interested in reading wiki to find out what the true motivations were.
After wiki.... even 150 episodes would have seemed rushed laying the groundwork for every motivation/plot twist.

If you enjoyed the anime and have even the slightest interest in manga, you should really read the manga. It's even got an official English release from Yen Press. Of course you've spoiled yourself now, but it would still be fun to read... plus it's not over yet, so who knows what insanity is yet to come.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I've spent the morning and early daytime watching EX-Driver. The show occurs at a time in which every single vehicle was automated to the point that steering wheels even became obsolete. However, two high-school drivers, Lorna Endou and Lisa Sakakino, patrol the city streets and respond to emergencies of malfunctioned vehicles. They are from the special patrol group EX-Driver.
I've had a serious thrill watching all six episodes and a movie of EX-Driver. I wish there were more episodes of this small but energetic show. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Thu May 23, 2013 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
After buying the DVD I watched (re-watched) the Heaven's Lost Property Movie: Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork. I decided to watch it in English, which is interesting as I did not buy the first two seasons, and thus was not familiar with the English voices before now. Being the fact that about half the movie is a recap of the series actually worked in my case, not owning the series due to feeling turned off by the over the top pervyness as there was less to focus on here. I did not quite have as strong emotional reaction to the first time I watched the movie, there could be a few reasons, but I did find it still good.

I do have to mention the voices as this was the first time I heard the English track, and I would say that I was pleased with it. I especially liked how Mikako was done, Jamie Marchi sounded less higher class than how she was done in Japanese, but the troll traits were conveyed very well. Ikaros for the most part sounded well, but I don't think the singing bit was done quite right, perhaps it felt there was too much emotion that did not quite fit Ikaros, and that the original Japanese was just too beautiful, there were a couple times I felt it did not quite hit the right tone. Greg Ayres definitely feels like the right choice for Tomoki. I thought that Sugita did not quite give off the nerdy feeling that I got from the original, I don't quite know what to make of that. And lastly of note I found Astraea to be very well done, I would feel sorry to laugh at her issues (she is not smart) but rather than finding her rather cruel I found the performance to make her endearing.

I found Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork to still be really good, especially if you can stand the perverse nature of the series, after all I Hiyori is still my favourite character from the series. The spoiler[nipple song] is always great to see the reactions, regardless of language. If I had to complain about the summary, it is that it does not really have much of the cool action scenes that was one of the coolest parts of the series, or the emotional parts with the other Angeloids. Might just buy Forte for Chaos also, she is easily my favourite character in the series and she did not get any speaking moments in the movie.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Continuing my war against my backlog, I finally finished the trifecta of Yoshitoshi ABe shows (well, there are actually four, but I watched Niea_7 years ago for ANN Book Club - remember that, guys?). Thoughts:

Serial Experiments Lain: I enjoyed the Eva-like mind freak permeating this show. I wasn't nearly as confused as I thought I'd be. That said, this feels like something I would have to watch again to fully understand, and I wouldn't mind doing so.
Haibane Renmei: Solid story, I liked it. I think at this point I realized that I prefer some sort of action in my anime, but this show managed to hold my interest the whole way.
Texnolyze: Depressing. The first half drags a bit but by the second half you understand why. This story is about the struggle, not the end result, and once I understood that I was able to enjoy it a lot more.

Also watched Angel Beats: This was a fun little show. The comedy was over-the-top at times but the characters were a joy to watched. I found it interesting that spoiler[they never animate characters disappearing, like going *poof* or something. They're just in the shot one second, then they switch angles and they're gone]. I thought that was neat and changed the impact those scenes had. Good dope.

And some none-anime: Battle Royale. I really liked it. It's hard to care about 40 different characters but they do an okay job. They don't waste too much time getting into the game, and there's plenty of blood and survival and desperation and 15-year-old kids being 15-year-old kids throughout.
SailorStarish

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Watching tenchi muyo war on geminar. I thought it might be as good as the main series or universe. But no, this is some hot garbage.

And finished. The high ratings this series gets are confounding because there is nothing redeeming about this show at all.

Last edited by FLEABttn on Tue May 28, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
thegoanna

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@Knoepfchen
Welcome to the club! This is the AMV we show to people who have completed the show, so enjoy it!

Yep must agree this is a hot rocker of an AMV, Already ripped it to my Anime Music Videos folder.. Smile Thanks for the link.
May I add I love this AMV to bits!!!!

I am just starting episode 14... I am actually liking this series.

FYI song is from a Swedish Rocker, Nanne Grönvall. Very interesting person.. Smile

Last edited by thegoanna on Sun May 26, 2013 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
thegoanna

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
OK last post said it, Yes from the posted comments I have started watching Princess Tutu, So far so good, Feel sorry for Rue, even as Kraehe she's just jealous of Tutu, I will l watch this character develop Smile

So far would give it VG. still a lot of eps to go.. Smile

Coyote Ragtime Show - second disk.. Still go to watch.. Smile wait for D3.

Claymore second disk also still good to watch and await D3.. Smile

Cheers till next time.. Wink
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
^But don't spoiler yourself any further. Wink
Tutu still does not let me go, I am impatiently waiting for my DVD set to arrive to re-watch in better quality.

I started Blassreiter recently. After what I felt was a strange and kind of unengaging beginning, it grew on me. It's still only parts I like, though (the story of the kid being bullied and the tragic outcome, the grim and dark setting, the spoiler[everyone can (and many likely will) die] attitude...) others annoy me (the constant screaming of some characters, a lot of the CGI, an unevenness in the mood...). All in all mixed feelings so far, but still on the positive side, so I guess I will keep on watching.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
My watching has slowed due to illness and exhaustion. But I power on with:
Railgun
Master Keaton
Bodacious Space Pirates
Nana

I take back everything I said about Index being superior to Railgun. My judgment was premature, and based on the early, boring-as-hell, Kuroko-centric slice-of-life episodes of Railgun. Once the plot kicks in, Railgun far outshines Index. Not that I love it. Neither will be remembered as a great favourite of mine.

Bodacious Space Pirates though is really something. It's totally delivering on the spunky girls-in-space promise to the viewer, while being very smart and interesting. Cool, admirable characters too.

Nana (now 3/4 done) has been a big disappointment. My wife deserves more credit for continuing to watch than me, since I'll watch any old thing. She was secretly hoping it would be "as good as Hana Yori Dango", which is her ultimate melodramatic anime. But it isn't. I'm not sure what is, actually. (And no, Marmalade Boy ain't either.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 765 of 1062