• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Relinquishes Ro-Kyu-Bu! Home Video Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is that this move has probably catapulted interest in the title. A lot of people that wouldn't have cared are now probably going to check it out, just trying to figure out what the issue was. I'm willing to bet the TAN streams are getting nice bumps in viewing.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder if Shawn and other people at the site ever considered having a Japanese language option to try to attract more Japanese customers. It must be appealing: "Why buy your domestic anime for ¥40,000 when you can get it for $50?"

A lot of the time they're told not to sell to Japanese addresses, like with Madoka.

Honestly if they tried to do that I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese companies refused to license out anime anymore.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hah, I like how that dude is all "Amazon's pretty good, but I kept looking and tada~ Rightstuf!" Yeah, I can totally imagine some otaku checking out cheap DVDs for less sought after titles, be it that they're just lower quality and less desirable in comparison to other new products, or that they're just old and possibly OOP in Japan. Our prices for anime hit bargain bin prices if they were produced in good quantity and still have a ton of stock remaining, and that's not even to say that our full SRP would still be bargain bin to them. Even considerable shipping charges cannot possibly approach the original Japanese prices. "It takes about two weeks to arrive." Not a huge wait, we wait about the same or more for figures to get here.

We apply the same principal when we scrounge the Bargain Bin at Rightstuf, that's how I got a nice collection of some older OVAs. I certainly wasn't purchasing them brand new at full or near full SRP when they first came out. I wonder if Shawn and other people at the site ever considered having a Japanese language option to try to attract more Japanese customers.

Amazon's good for most new US releases and more convenient for Japanese customers, but like you mentioned, rightstuf is the place to go to for old stuff, certain special sales and bargain bins.

It reminds me of what Justin mentioned:
Quote:
Anecdotally, I've seen a few Japanese fans who went to AX and were WAAAY too excited to meet Shawne Kleckner, if you get my drift. (Not that he's not an exciting guy, but...)
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
The funny thing is that this move has probably catapulted interest in the title. A lot of people that wouldn't have cared are now probably going to check it out, just trying to figure out what the issue was. I'm willing to bet the TAN streams are getting nice bumps in viewing.

At least the first 2 eps.
As I don't see many getting a subscription just to check out the full series on curiousity alone.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
A lot of the time they're told not to sell to Japanese addresses, like with Madoka.

Honestly if they tried to do that I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese companies refused to license out anime anymore.

Wow, having a disclaimer like that is very telling. Perhaps reverse importation isn't destroying anime as we know it, but it exists and the Japanese companies must consider it a threat to some degree. Well, if they can't get it through Rightstuf, there's always Amazon and second-hand dealers that don't have to put up with restrictions.
minirop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

like walw6pK4Alo said. Since there are website so foreigners can buy on yahoo auctions, there are probably the same the other way.

TitanXL wrote:

it will probably ends in "all japanese DB will have subtitles for X languages" and no more licensing. Or licensing like Madoka : going upwards the japanese one.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Wow, having a disclaimer like that is very telling. Perhaps reverse importation isn't destroying anime as we know it, but it exists and the Japanese companies must consider it a threat to some degree. Well, if they can't get it through Rightstuf, there's always Amazon and second-hand dealers that don't have to put up with restrictions.

Amazon is already full of Madoka (and other Aniplex - Rightstuf exclusive, US + CA restricted titles) resellers:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=madoka

I'm willing to bet a lot of them are shipped out of the US, though in this case for PMMM, I'd say perhaps mostly not to Japan but elsewhere outside of North America
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
From AnimeNation:
Quote:
My best guess is that the Japanese distributor realized that it owes royalties on home video releases of the show, possibly for music rights or due to some imagery that appears in the animation, so therefore wants to minimize distribution to minimize fiscal responsibility.

That might not be it, but it's the most plausible speculation I've heard so far. If it had been concerns about fanservice, then streaming and broadcast rights should have been the first to go, because with those alone it could be made far more accessible than some minor home video release. I'm no expert on the subject, but my understanding is that performance royalties are relatively painless compared to mechanical reproduction, and for that matter the production committee probably already had the performance rights anyway, in which case this arrangement begins to make sense.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
From AnimeNation:
Quote:
My best guess is that the Japanese distributor realized that it owes royalties on home video releases of the show, possibly for music rights or due to some imagery that appears in the animation, so therefore wants to minimize distribution to minimize fiscal responsibility.

The music rights might make sense since I think someone here mentioned music being held by Warner or someone like that. Regarding the imagery, for anyone who has seen the show, is there any product placement of sorts that would warrant licensing fees?
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

The music rights might make sense since I think someone here mentioned music being held by Warner or someone like that.

The JP distribution license is held by Warner Entertainment as well as them being part of the production committee.

This and Heaven's Memo Pad were their productions, which is why I've said before that This ( Ro-Kyu-Bu! ) was probably bundled with Heaven's Memo Pad when Sentai picked them up.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Considering the content, and the fact that Warner is on the production committee and is likely aware of the recent Sandusky trial, it wouldn't surprise me if that they were just being overly PC. They probably didn't want their name or logo appearing on a DVD with underage girls playing sports and bathing together.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Amazon is already full of Madoka (and other Aniplex - Rightstuf exclusive, US + CA restricted titles) resellers:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=madoka

I'm willing to bet a lot of them are shipped out of the US, though in this case for PMMM, I'd say perhaps mostly not to Japan but elsewhere outside of North America

I was at a convention here in the UK this past weekend and one of the dealers had the US limited editions of Madoka, which I know RightStuf isn't allowed to sell outside the US, so there you go.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

I was at a convention here in the UK this past weekend and one of the dealers had the US limited editions of Madoka, which I know RightStuf isn't allowed to sell outside the US, so there you go.

Technically, when they went up for pre-order, there was no restrictions on them.

Then about a week later, this was added to the TRSI listings:

Quote:
Due to licensing restrictions, this product cannot be shipped to Japan.

It wasn't until after the first vol. shipped and about 2 weeks before vol. 2 started shipping that this was added to ALL AoA TRSI listings.

Quote:
Due to licensing restrictions, this product can only be shipped to the United States and Canada.

So there was a good 5 months of pre-order time that anyone outside the US (save for Japan) could have purchased them.
And those that actually did put in a pre-order before the US/Canada restriction was placed, their pre-orders were still honored and still shipped.

-edit-
Now that I looked again, interestingly enough, the new RE Oreimo set that comes out July 10, doesn't actually have the AoA US/Canada restriction on it.
I wonder if TRSI forgot to add it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Usually I don't argue with ANN staff, but this is an unfair instruction. I brought up piracy in Asia to respond to a statement saying that Ro-Kyu-Bu's presence in Asia is a pointless thing for the original rights holders to buy back whatever licenses there are. RKB is too niche to be of interest by any legal distributors, and if the pirates are distributing RKB there's nothing much that Japan can do (either to protect the rights or be wary of how the show affects the country's image).

To disapprove your "RKB is too niche to be of interest by any legal distributors," I visited Mighty's website again in order to give you the link to their releases, and this picture is right on the index page:

The DVD boxset can be found here. Let me ask you: do you even know that Mighty has licensed RKB? In addition to home video releases, Mighty also acquired merchandise rights and has produced lots of accessories:

For the record, Kadokawa Taiwan has licensed the original novel.

dandelion_rose wrote:
If you'd wanted me to move the conversation elsewhere, I would have much appreciated it if you simply politely requested it, rather than make a point to argue with some vaguely insulting remarks, and then expect me to just shut up and shuffle off obediently. 

Excuse me? I never meant to have you "shut up and shuffle off;" I just meant that, if you want to discuss piracy issues further, you and I could use another thread (or use PM to do so in private, if you wish) so we don't derail the original discussion of this thread. On the other hand, I don't owe you anything so I speak with you in a straight tongue, particularly you've started it by spreading outdated, misleading information (and I felt a little offended by THAT).

Do you know why "the waters are so pirate and shark-infested" in Selat Melaka? Because your government (along with Singaporean) issues "certified by the Malaysian censor board" stickers to bootlegs, and ordinary customers would take government's "approval" as a symbol of legitimacy. Ask your government to stop issuing stickers to bootlegs would be a good start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Dormcat,

I thank you for your thoughtful and mature advice on how I, as a citizen of my own country, should be doing to communicate my wishes to the government that I may or may not have voted for. Clearly your mentioning of the Straits of Malacca shows how knowledgeable you are, particularly after the thoughtful advice on how I might get arrested for reading manga with incest. I'd never though that an issue involving international trade agreements and crime networks could have been so simply resolved by a note or a call to the government. ( I wonder who has the Prime Minister's Office on speed dial?). And yes, I absolutely agree with you, spreading wrong information about anime licensors is pretty offensive and deserves a condescending smackdown. I stand corrected on RKB's legal distribution in Asia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10