• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rooster Teeth's RWBY Heads To Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Jacquipuff,

Some people become attached to some cause and get emotionally invested in it. For some people, once that happens, rationality goes out the window and they don't even realize it.

RWBY isn't anime. Japan may call it anime, but that's how *the Japanese* use the word, not how we use it. Japanese people also use "otaku" differently than we do, even though we coined the word from them. In fact, the Japanese use otaku more broadly than we do, just as they use the word "anime" more broadly than we do.

Correction, RWBY isn't anime to us. To them, it is. That's what matters. Language doesn't and shouldn't change to fit our standards. By that logic only Durum wheat flour from Italy constitutes as "pasta" which is dumb. Like I mentioned before, words aren't based on what we think of them. When Japan uses a loanword, 100% of the time, it is broad. "Arubaito" is not "Japanese part time job" because "arbeit" just means labor/work in German. I mentioned the native Japanese word of "seiyuu" binding all voice actors, regardless of nationality. Besides, animation isn't nationality based. Whether it's based of the French or English variant, "animation" isn't some nationalistic word. It's not like these words are false friends or anything. Anime and animation mean exactly the same thing, but it's how it's been used in Japan that we define it as something Japanese for Japanese by Japanese. I call Japanese animation "anime" but only for separation purposes. Technically, anything can be an anime, as long as it's animation of some sort.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
The US animation industry makes up 40%+ of the global market, while only producing about 20 or so animations per year. It's wrong to claim that the anime industry is anything close to more profitable. Oh and last time I checked, the Simpsons movie did better in France than any anime will ever dream of doing. That's France of all places. No anime is as popular as Simpsons in France, not even DBZ. Even if South Korea, American toons are more popular. Even in Japan, the American animation market is decent, contrary to what that Stuart guy says.

Uh, do you have any citations for these claims or what? Your comparisons seem weird. What are you comparing the Simpsons movie to? Anime movies? Does France even air any? What about television series? What about manga? How do you compare all those against one another logically across mediums? It seems like it'd be hard.

Besides, I didn't say anything about profitable. Money is a whole different issue. Though I really want to know how you determine profit out of cartoons. Merchandise? DVD sales? This is why citations are important. If merchandise I'd be curious to see how it compares to marketing giants like Pokemon and stuff. I just have to doubt how many TV shows could stand up to Pokemon.

American animation in Japan is literally crippled. They air on channels most people don't get. A lot of people in Japan don't get Japanese Cartoon Network and Disney. Nickelodeon Japan shut down a few years ago. I'm really interested to hear your evidence as to how it's popular in Japan at all.

Is your whole argument based around Disney movies or something and not the television industry? I could see if most of that alleged 40% was something like Frozen's box-office gross. But that's not really a subculture or market like I was talking about
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9