• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wow... I think I actually like Rumbling Hearts.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
demonroach wrote:
Im sure people would wait for someone they love. Mitsu is the type to sleep around just for a reaction. As a character, she is just comical. The only strong point she has in this anime is that she is sexual, and in that case, she is just an object.

I find this hilarious especially since spoiler[you seem to think that he loved Haruka when he went out with her in the first place because he felt sorry for her and as a favor to Mitsuki (who he liked). Mitsuki and Shinji go to him, "Is she really your girlfriend" and he replies "You don't understand she's your....".

The only time he started to care about Haruka was when she slept with him which is something more akin to infatuation than love especially since she was his first. No realist in todays age would consider Mitsuki a whore/slut, calling her one for what she did would've have been laughable 10 years ago let alone now.

Mitsuki gave up everything for her love and unlike Haruka she can't simply pick up the pieces and resume her dream after 3 years. She was a potential Olympic finalist and Akane who in the epilogue won a gold medal based her stroke on Mitsuki.]

Last edited by Westlo on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, true, and like I mentioned to him before he seems like he'd really benefit from watching the series again and paying closer attention.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I've so often seen couples in high school promise that they would wait for each other during the four years of college while keeping a long term relationship. This rarely (never from my experience) lasts anywhere near four years.

The only times I have seen this work is when a long relationship has already been established (usually kids involved) and even then it is difficult. I find it a bit hard to believe it working with a couple of high school kids who only dated for a short time. spoiler[Then again there is a huge guilt factor in Takayuki which makes the situation in Rumbling Hearts believable. He isn't so much in love with Haruka as much as he feels obligated to be with her since he blames himself for her accident. He becomes so unhealthily obsessed with her that he becomes an unemployed loser who can't even feed himself.]

I really felt sorry for Mitsuki spoiler[by the end of the second DVD. She really is at her wits end at this point since she had tried everything she could to reestablish her relationship with Takayuki despite him lying to her and not coming home. All this after she basically saved the guy from almost being unemployed and homeless.]
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I would like to personally thank everyone who has posted in this thread. A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this thread and read about how much you folks enjoyed this show. The conversations intrigued me, and I decided to take a chance. This past weekend I purchased the boxset and I was blown away, to say the least.
It was a moving, well-written show that really spoke to me.
I mean, I'm a 19 year-old guy who has been in such relationships before, and in a way, I felt as though I could relate to Takayuki and his lack of decisiveness. So, thanks a lot for making a thread about it, guys! I really appreciate it! (Also, if anyone knows of any similar shows, I wouldn't mind some more reccomendations Smile )

If I had been in Takayuki's shoes
spoiler[ I think I would have chosen Mitsuki. He obviously liked her from the beginning, but dated Haruka only out of pity (as well as to please Mitsuki). When Mitsuki and Shinji slept together, I nearly changed sides, but then I remembered how cruel Takayuki had been to her. Truly, Mitsuki seems like a great, dedicated girlfriend. ]
Now if only I could find myself a girl like that Sad
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Again i agree with Randall's notions on the story,and about the comments in this thread in general.

spoiler[
Yes, I also fall into the thought that Mitsuki was the one he loved from the onset.

The fact that no matter what she tried, other then when she spoke directly to Haruka, Mitsuki always said she still loved him. Even when she walked, her feelings hadn't changed, but she felt as she was loosing everything. She had given up so much already, and at that point there was little left to loose. ]

In the end I can say this, it takes a lot for spoiler[a couple to stay together] after such an event in their lives, not to mention any spoiler[cheating] that may have happened.

A good show, and i can say with absolute certainty, the show could be seen as very real. I know of one of my own family members that have a very striking resemblances to Mitsuki, it's uncanny even. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least to see the beginning of this series say "based on a true story".
game

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
how do you feel about the ending?

who do you like more Haruka or Mitsuki?

My KgNE Final Thoughts and Ending Interpretation

spoiler[That said, I think at the start of the show its pretty obvious that Mistuki is the stronger of the two, as the show progress, we see Mistuki and Haruka shift positions which is not a bad thing. Mistuki at the start acts much like more male then female (not a bad thing) while Haruka reminds me of Shinobu from Love Hina (again not a bad thing), but as the show progress these two characters balance out. I will however say this, Mistuki at least fought to get Taka while Haruka just kinda took him for granted after the accident, partly of course because she doesn't realize the time lapse, but really all she did after the accident is give me give me etc. So I still think Mistuki is stronger of the two, fighting to get Taka and having the guts to betray her best friend to get him, shows how much she loves him.

Some say its obsessive, I don't think so because she did know when to quit. As for her not wanting to meet him I think that is quite natural, how many of you would want to see your ex right after break up? As for Haruka's strength, someone has to give in the end or else the show would last forever since Taka is such a nice guy. Her world revolved around Taka before the accident, for her to be able to break free of he previous attachment shows strength as well as weakness in not pursuing it, its a matter of opinion.]

I am a Mitsuki fan

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added since this got merged into the other thread. ~Zalis]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I loved the ending, heck I loved the whole show, it's in my personal top ten favorites. I much prefered Mitsuki and spoiler[thus the series was quite satisfying for me to see her end up with Takayuki even after all the drama.] It was obvious to me from the start of things that Takayuki spoiler[prefered Mitsuki and only really dated Haruka because he didn't want to hurt her feelings and turn her down. He only really starts to have feelings for her after they sleep togather.] Through all they go through I think most if not all of the characters go through a lot of development, most of all Haruka. spoiler[She starts out as an annoyingly shy introvert but after her accident learns to be more confident and strong.] Takayuki also learns that spoiler[he has to face his problems rather than burying himself in work and running away from them, as well as that somethimes instead of bottling things up you need somebody that will understand you and help you (in this case Mitsuki).] Finally, Mitsuki, although her development isn't as obvious as the other two I think it's still there. spoiler[She was wracked with guilt for betraying Haruka and getting togather with Takayuki not to mention she probabally had doubts that he actually loved her and might have suspected that their relationship was wholely based on the fact she seduced him and felt that the only way she could fix things was to become the villain and sleep arround so that Takayuki would hate her and be happy with Haruka. However, even after this Takayuki still loves and accepts her flaws and all. So in a way she was also running and failing to accept her feelings for him which I found it fitting that things came full circle at the end with Takayuki being the one to break her out of her downward spiral by admitting to her that he really does love her and needs her which helped her get over that guilt I think. ]

Currently, I'm following the alternate retalling OVA as it comes out which I think deals with Haruka's storyline from the game. It's only 1 episode so far though so it's hard to tell.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I was really happy with the ending too, because I think Takayuki/Mitsuki make the better, more realistic couple (Takayuki/Haruka being more of a juvenile fantasy, which was fine in high school but doesn't work so well in the real life).

I'm also watching the OVA, which is really exciting. I think the 2nd episode is out now, so hopefully I'll see it soon.

I also watched the spin-off Akane Mainax, since Akane is my favourite character from the series. I really like how it dealt with Akane's feelings towards Takayuki, in particular the fact that spoiler[often she seems half in love with him herself.] While the series was a bit...odd and not as good as Rumbling Hearts, it definitely has some interesting character development for Akane, which is what I was watching it for in the first place.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I personally was hoping for Haruka and Takayuki, but alas, it was not to be.

What I didn't like was Haruka's final decision. Whatever feelings he had for Mitsuki at the start, it had become clear that Takayuki really loved Haruka more. He was devastated after her accident, and I was really hoping that Haruka would forgive him once she got her memories back.

I don't hate Mitsuki. The series made it quite clear that though she acted like a backstabbing b*tch, she felt awful, and hated herself for being so selfish. I felt sorry for her, and she had given up her promising future to be with Takayuki, but I still believe that she was the wrong choice.

But then again, was there ever a right choice, given the circumstances?

The series therefore ended on a bitter note for me, but there was some sweet involved as well. I was happy that all three managed to end up happy, making the best of an otherwise horrible situation.

On a side note, I watched this series faster than any other, on both a per episode basis and overall. It took me less than twelve hours to watch it, which is a great deal faster than my normal speed. Just goes to show how utterly gripping it was.

On another side note, the show was also very economical. It managed to pack its fourteen episodes into just three disks. This is contrasted with shows like Elfen Lied or Serial Experiments Lain, which had one less episode and one more disk. I commend the distributor, FUNimation, for such a great release.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
game

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I personally was hoping for Haruka and Takayuki, but alas, it was not to be.

What I didn't like was Haruka's final decision. Whatever feelings he had for Mitsuki at the start, it had become clear that Takayuki really loved Haruka more. He was devastated after her accident, and I was really hoping that Haruka would forgive him once she got her memories back.

I don't hate Mitsuki. The series made it quite clear that though she acted like a backstabbing b*tch, she felt awful, and hated herself for being so selfish. I felt sorry for her, and she had given up her promising future to be with Takayuki, but I still believe that she was the wrong choice.

But then again, was there ever a right choice, given the circumstances?

The series therefore ended on a bitter note for me, but there was some sweet involved as well. I was happy that all three managed to end up happy, making the best of a otherwise horrible situation.

On a side note, I watched this series faster than any other, on both a per episode basis and overall. It took me less than twelve hours to watch it, which is a great deal faster than my normal speed. Just goes to show how utterly gripping it was.

On another side note, the show was also very economical. It managed to pack its fourteen episodes into just three disks. This is contrasted with shows like Elfen Lied or Serial Experiments Lain, which had one less episode and one more disk. I commend the distributor, FUNimation, for such a great release.

i dont agree because Being that Takayuki suffered emotionally the whole time while Haruka was in her coma, Mitsuki worried about him and wanted to take care of him. She acted on her feelings and Takayuki accepted them which I thought was wrong if he truly loved Haruka. So if I had to blame someone, it would be Takayuki in the end.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
game wrote:

i don't agree because Being that Takayuki suffered emotionally the whole time while Haruka was in her coma, Mitsuki worried about him and wanted to take care of him. She acted on her feelings and Takayuki accepted them which I thought was wrong if he truly loved Haruka. So if I had to blame someone, it would be Takayuki in the end.

Mitsuki had to practically force herself upon him. She took advantage of a young man who was emotionally (and perhaps psychologically) vulnerable.

I do not despise her for doing this, though. Her actions brought him out of his stupor, and no-one knew if Haruka would even regain consciousness.

But still, there is no doubt (in my mind at least) that she was the instigator of the relationship, and the reason why Takayuki cheated on Haruka.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
spoiler[I personally was hoping for Haruka and Takayuki, but alas, it was not to be.

I don't hate Mitsuki. The series made it quite clear that though she acted like a backstabbing b*tch, she felt awful, and hated herself for being so selfish. I felt sorry for her, and she had given up her promising future to be with Takayuki, but I still believe that she was the wrong choice.]

I'm going to have to greatly disagree with you.
It was obvious to me that Mitsuki was the better choice by far from the get go. Like Kruszer, I felt that Takayuki dated Haruka out of obligation rather than love. Also, they're relationship just seemed so... phoney. It was that stereotypical high-school "We're soooo in love OMG!" kind of relationship that never lasted for too long (by what I've seen myself anyways). One of those relationships that is indeed too good to be true.

And I really have to slap my palm to my forehead and groan whenever people refer to Mitsuki as a "backstabber," or "Traitor" (one of the reasons that I got irritated by Akane). I really feel that it was not betrayal. I mean, seriously now: spoiler[Mitsuki is in love with Takayuki, that is made obvious from the get-go. Mitsuki flings him together with Haruka. Haruka falls into a coma. Mitsuki, acting as a true close friend should, helps Takayuki in his devastated state. Haruka remains in coma for 3 years. Mitsuki finally collaspses from her own feelings and throws herself at Takayuki 1 year after accident. Takayuki accepts her.
I mean, an entire year goes by before Mitsuki tells him of her true feelings. Three entire years go by of Haruka being in a coma.]
So were both Takayuki and Mitsuki supposed to put their lives on hold for someone who had a possibility of never waking up?

And about Takayuki loving Haruka more; again, I disagree. Takayuki was staying by Haruka's side after the coma out of his guilt. He blamed himself for what happened to her and felt obligated to stay by her side. I guess it could also be because he felt like the two of them were robbed of their time and that it was unfair that his relationship with her was cut short.

Overall, I'd argue Rumbling Hearts to be one of (if not the) best romance anime out there. I especially loved its ending. spoiler[I was starting to worry that it was going to go the way of Romeo and Juliet "tragic ending to a tragic love story" which I despise greatly. But it took a wonderful turn in that final episode. Haruka learned to not only accept what had happened to her, but sought to move on. She came out of the whole ordeal a stronger and better person. Mitsuki and Takayuki sought to repair they're broken relationship and move on as well.] It was a realistic and believeable happy ending. Nothing was "perfect," but healing was definitely taking place.
I really get irritated when I hear/see people say spoiler["Someone should have died, like, killed theirself over the ordeal,"] no, just... no, Rumbling Hearts would have sucked if it ended like that.
Anyways, I've written more than I had planned on, but that's my take on the subject Wink .

EDIT: I didn't realize that the other thread was merged with this one, so I tagged things that might ruin it for new viewers Wink .

Last edited by the Rancorous on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Well, it may have been a lot to read yes, but truth, all, in my eyes. I'll agree with all of that and have argued some of the very same points earlier in the thread so you're not alone at least. Smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
I definitely get mad when people attack Mitsuki for what happened. Was Takayuki just supposed to wait indefinitely? I don't think even Haruka would have wanted that.

Of course was is even worse is saying that everything, including the accident itself, is Mitsuki's fault. Yes, she was involved with Takayuki being late, but that was his choice. Plus, Haruka could have chosen a different place to stand. So the only person who is actually to blame is the person who was driving the car (and even then, we don't really know the details).

I think the saddest thing for me personally about this series is that Mitsuki and Haruka lose their friendship. It would have been nice to have some sort of scene with them after Haruka knew, though I'm not sure either of them would have been ready for it until Takayuki made his choice.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the saddest thing for me personally about this series is that Mitsuki and Haruka lose their friendship. It would have been nice to have some sort of scene with them after Haruka knew, though I'm not sure either of them would have been ready for it until Takayuki made his choice.

The recent OVA seems to be taking that road with spoiler[Haruka woken from her coma trying to make up for lost time with Takayuki and Mitsuki missing unable to confront her due to guilt at having slept with him.] Not really a spoiler since it's in the first episode and at the moment there is only one episode released but I taged it anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12