• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Zestira the X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Took a few tries, but I finally got Alisha.

Her outfit doesn't allow for a panty shot, but they sure made the most of her short shorts Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
Well, I finished the first season today.

Good episode to conclude the 1st half. It reunited characters altogether and Alisha manage to survive.

Plus, I did like how she became Sorey's squire. First half is done. Second half should be more about their adventure and I look forward to what Sorey and his group will do. Pretty solid production quality overall for the show, this is how 3D and animation should be like. Very good for first half/season.

Oh and those Berseria episodes mid-season makes me want to play the PC version of the game next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
I was genuinely unsure if Alisha would survive. Thank goodness she did. She finally became a squire too, but she still leaves the party at the end. Well at least it's under better circumstances this time. Her finally being able to see the Seraphim was well worth it too.

Now we know it's a bad idea to mess with Sorey's waifu. Mikleo's gonna be so jealous...

And Dezel, it's pointless to flip a skirt if she's wearing pants!

I'm glad to resisted the urge to end the season on a cliffhanger too.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
I don't get why they did the squire pact with Alisha. They're obviously not going to be using the game's storyline, where spoiler[Alisha, not having enough spiritual energy, was too much of a drain on Sorey, making it necessary for her to dissolve the pact and follow her own path]. But without Alisha with him, what's the point? And will it affect spoiler[making a pact with Rose]?

Overall, the episode was good. I do wish they had've left in spoiler[Heldalf's domain being so strong as to cancel out Sorey's ability to see and hear the Seraphim], but it didn't bug me that it was missing.

Now that our set-up is finished, the second cour should run more smoothly. We have our cast assembled, our world established, and our villain introduced. Most likely, spoiler[the missing pope arc, the Trials, and Mayvn] will be cut, but I feel they will still be able to convey the overall themes of the game successfully in the second half.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't get why they did the squire pact with Alisha.

Well, Sorey makes it clear he wants to give her power and that that way they'll always be together.

If you mean an out of context reason like most things this adaptation is doing it's to appease those pissed off about how the game went.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I guess that was a good finale. Alisha finally meeting the Seraphim in person was a nice touch. The Berseria episodes felt like a waste of time, and they pissed me off, but overall I liked this show. I don't know who the new dude is, they didn't properly introduce him. I think he might be a Seraphim so I guess they have to explain in the 2nd cour why Rose could see him. I rated this show good.

P.S. I think there's still a typo in this thread's title. It will eternally torment me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't know who the new dude is, they didn't properly introduce him. I think he might be a Seraphim so I guess they have to explain in the 2nd cour why Rose could see him.

She can't see him (that's why she had to ask Sorey if he was around) but she can hear him. We see him hanging around her in an earlier episode so perhaps exposure to him has given her a degree of perception.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
We see him hanging around her in an earlier episode so perhaps exposure to him has given her a degree of perception.

We do? Then again, I'd easily miss things like that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
In episode 3.

Also when he helped out last episode Rose said "Not again" so he's done it before.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Man, ufotable does know how to bring the visual sumptuousness. Love the visuals in their shows. I rated this show as Good. I have to admit, I kinda lost the plot with that Count Barstool guy, so clearly my lack of familiarity with the game is a bit of an issue. It probably would have helped if I had read the episode reviews. In any case, looking forward to more.

Great, thanks for pointing out the thread title typo, Cam0 - now it's torturing me!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 ( Season finale)

I think what kind of hurt this season so much was that it felt like it spent too much time setting up the setting, there was something lost on the actual story. Although I would say that when Alisha got involved the story improved, like her woes of the village or on stopping war. Alisha in general was the sort of "princess" character I could get behind more, you could have made her a prince and there would not have been much difference, except maybe with less people thinking she should not get involved. No complaints with Sorey, Mikleo, Lailah, and Edna, although maybe a couple of them could have been more involved.

Regardless, maybe I have not seen much Ufotable anime or something, but the animation of this series was pretty beautiful, a surprising use of CG that they could make even a wasteland look good. I am looking forward for a second season that maybe will feel like shifted gears, finding out what is the significance of the story that they put in for a couple episodes that just as much felt like another story starting. I give a rating of Good (6/10), it is good so far but has the ingredients to be better, it just needs more.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
You know I thought they'd omit the whole squire system. They have been putting a bigger emphasis on the whole "The Shepard is alone" thing so having him be able to share his powers with other humans bunks that.

Also it's a shame there's no thunder Seraphim in the party. Can't you imagine how epic a certain lightning spell would be animated by ufotable?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also it's a shame there's no thunder Seraphim in the party. Can't you imagine how epic a certain lightning spell would be animated by ufotable?

Huh, apparently spoiler[Heldalf will use it when you fight him]. I never spoiler[got it triggered, knocked him out of it].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
And we're back!

But Alisha didn't appear, so it was pretty shit.

Kidding. While the episode was a tad heavy on the "HEY LOOK HOW GREAT ROSE IS EVERYONE!" she is a genuinely fun and likable character.

We get the age old question of "Is murdering one to save many still evil?" posed here. Sorey isn't the type of person who could make that decision, but Rose is obviously all about that. If he finds out about her side job there could be a problem.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Rose is definitely pretty bad-ass. If I was Sorey, I'd be tapping that instead of Princess Do-gooder.

...aaaaaaaaaand that concludes my intellectual contribution to the thread for today. Stay tuned for more thoughtful, analytical insights in the weeks to cum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 18