• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Pleads Guilty to Coercing Girl He Met at Anime Con

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Strawberryelle wrote:
having low self esteem explains promiscuity but it doesn't excuse it.

just like how if we found out that the guy was molested as a child by his step father or some other random crap it would explain his perversion for little kids, but it wouldn't excuse it. Nothing would excuse it.

spoiler[I was molested my self but you don't see me doing so that's just a sad excuse like you said.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryand-Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
While this particular offense did not occur at the anime convention itself, the amount of "off the record" rumors I've been told regarding actual at-convention incidents of this very crime on the part of anime dub voice actors alone is great enough to practically fill a book. In fact...one of them HAS written a book! One may say that rumors are just that, but here in Florida the founder and chair of what is advertised as the largest anime convention in the state (personally, I wouldn't call it an "anime convention"...) was himself convicted of a similar crime as what is being discussed. Callous as it is on my part, this story strikes me less as an anomalous anime convention occurrence and more of a "this is the one they actually caught" one.

I highly doubt that cross-checking pre-registered attendees versus public offender registries would significantly deter such a crime from taking place. Let's say for the sake of example that such a system is implemented: that a sex offender pre-registers for a convention, and the registration staff after carrying out the MASSIVELY time-consuming task of looking up every single pre-reg finds a match. The person's pre-registration is thus rejected. What, then, is to stop this hypothetical person from simply buying their badge at the door? You don't need to show any form of ID at an anime convention. Most people don't even identify themselves by their actual names, and even if you knew what the person looked like, masking of faces is commonplace at such gatherings.

As such, even if Katsucon implements such a system I don't see such a practice becoming the standard for anime conventions any time soon. It's completely unfeasible for small conventions due to a lack of staff, and larger conventions would require thousands if not tens of thousands of manual lookup operations.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But I wonder, the guy is in the late 30's, why didn't he just date women around his age or at the very least someone around 18 or so?

While I can't condone the offender's actions, how many single women in their 30s (or even 20s) do you typically see at anime conventions, clubs, or other such advertised gatherings of anime fans? Statistically speaking, there aren't really any in attendance.

You wouldn't even need to do it manually, you could get the RAW datatsets via freedom of information act/searches at local state databses, and then run it through excell or a basic c/python/perl script, 50 states at most.

I do doubt that "statuatory rape regualary happens at aniem conventions," however, that claim is.. rather extraordinary and I would like to see more evidence on that.

Also, Mr. Surat, I think NYAF asked me for photo ID the first time I came, but that was 2 years ago, can someone confirm or deny this?

Anymouse: oh my god please be a troll or a gimick, this isn't real I refuse to belive it I don't. This is like... god faith in humanity dropping.
daveriley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
"Promiscuity" doesn't need an excuse because promiscuity is not an illegal or morally reprehensible activity.

Promiscuity is also not what happened here.

There's scads of research that suggests that even at 18 years old and older your brain isn't fully formed to the point that you can make fully rational decisions about your well-being. Calling a thirteen year old girl a "slut" because she was taken advantage of is detestable. You are stripping this girl of her personhood. "She was asking for it" is one of the worst sentences in the English language. Why do you say it? Does it make feel better about yourself that you weren't "that stupid" when you were young? Maybe you weren't smarter, just luckier.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Rutilcaper wrote:
"Promiscuity" doesn't need an excuse because promiscuity is not an illegal or morally reprehensible activity.

Promiscuity is also not what happened here.

There's scads of research that suggests that even at 18 years old and older your brain isn't fully formed to the point that you can make fully rational decisions about your well-being. Calling a thirteen year old girl a "slut" because she was taken advantage of is detestable. You are stripping this girl of her personhood. "She was asking for it" is one of the worst sentences in the English language. Why do you say it? Does it make feel better about yourself that you weren't "that stupid" when you were young? Maybe you weren't smarter, just luckier.

When I was that age I normally hung out by myself so I would get occasionally hit on by middle aged creepers. I've had old strange men try to get me in their car before, but funny thing is, a simple snub always seemed to work. I never gave any old dudes my contact information at least thats for sure. Sure, kids that young aren't capable of making fully rational decisions, and yes, she was clearly taken advantage of, but thats not to say they don't have some sense in what they're doing. If you truly believe that nothing a kid does is there fault then your going to have a hell of a hard time punishing your kids when they mess up. So by your logic were the girls at your high school that slept around not sluts (not that its a bad thing, it just is what it is), and instead they were just being raped every other night? I mean, these foolish little girls with their tiny undeveloped female brains couldn't possibly be expected to be able to make any of their own decisions on who puts there p in their v let alone anything else in their life (Rolling eyes)
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I am glad there is one other sensible poster on this thread.
Quote:
Actually, in some parts of the world it is illegal. If you actually believed in the moral codes of a Christian, a Traditional Buddhist, or a Muslim you will acknowledge that what she did was morally reprehensible, and she should share some responsibility with the pervert she had physical relations with.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I hope the feminist guerilla activists at "SlutWalk" don't read this thread. Wink
Really I blame her parents for not keeping an eye on her internet usage, and chaperoning her at this convention. What were they thinking? Rolling Eyes
I'd be interested in what the perp's childhood was like. Most child sex abusers were abused themselves as children usually by a close family member, rarely by a stranger. At least he's owned up to it and really that should tell the authorities he's too dangerous to be allowed on the streets. He needs to be lock away for the rest of his life.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Note: The next person who is even remotely insulting to another poster in this thread will be banned for a minimum of 72 hours, and possibly significantly longer. *Even remotely insulting* -t

On another note, I wish to repeat ANN's rule on opinions. No opinion will be censored as long as it is expressed in accordance with our rules (be polite, use proper grammar, etc...). The only exception to this is hateful speech such as racism, etc...

PS: Assume we're all stupid. If you're being sarcastic, point it out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Actually, in some parts of the world it is illegal.
That's completely irrelevant. This event occurred in a place where it isn't.
Quote:
If you actually believed in the moral codes of a Christian, a Traditional Buddhist, or a Muslim you will acknowledge that what she did was morally reprehensible, and she should share some responsibility with the pervert she had physical relations with.

Completely irrelevant, not everyone is religious, and while many elements of our laws can be traced back to religious code, they are essentially (and fortunately) non-religious at this point.

Whatsmore, your understanding of the Five Precepts and the Eightfold Path is, to be blunt, wrong on almost all levels. Google it. You'll find 2 thing, 1) sexual activity isn't "morally reprehensible" in anyway, it is merely unpure and a distraction from the path to enlightenment, and 2) the suggestion that one abstain from sexual activity is only for a person who is on the path, not for a lay-person.

As for Christians, you are essentially right that her behavior was amoral, but she did not commit a cardinal sin (somewhat a catholic point of view) and if you truly understand Christianity, you'd look the more to the gospel (in particular the beatitudes and John 8:2-11) than to the old testament.

I don't know enough about the Quran and the Muslim faith to address that part of your comment.

Enough of that crap. Let me just say that I'm truly sad to see people condemn this girl for her actions and say that she deserved it or was in anyway responsible. She's a typically stupid little girl who was taken advantage of by an adult. She's no more at fault for what happened than senior citizens who are scammed by conmen, young adults who are screwed (non-sexually) by their employers or people who have their valuables stolen from their house because their home security wasn't quite as adequate as they believed.

-t
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Having the convention checking registries and publicizing (even if it is just in the fine print or whatever) that they perform these checks provides a false sense of security. The convention could be checking against out of date records, which would potentially (depending on when that state adds names to their database) allow a recently-released person attend because their name was not yet in the database the con checked for. Additionally, those people would have had to commit a crime and be charged with it to be on the list. There is the possibility that a first-time offender would commit their crime at (or connected to) the convention.

Parents and teens would likely let their guard down thinking that the pedos were being blocked from entry to the con, potentially making it easier for them to be preyed upon.

Also, you usually do not need to have registered with the convention in order to hang out in gathering places like hotel lobbies.
nekedo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Strawberryelle wrote:
When I was that age I normally hung out by myself so I would get occasionally hit on by middle aged creepers. I've had old strange men try to get me in their car before, but funny thing is, a simple snub always seemed to work. I never gave any old dudes my contact information at least thats for sure. Sure, kids that young aren't capable of making fully rational decisions, and yes, she was clearly taken advantage of, but thats not to say they don't have some sense in what they're doing. If you truly believe that nothing a kid does is there fault then your going to have a hell of a hard time punishing your kids when they mess up. So by your logic were the girls at your high school that slept around not sluts (not that its a bad thing, it just is what it is), and instead they were just being raped every other night?

Your experiences are not the standard, do not and should not represent the experiences of every other person in the world. I don't judge people who smoke, drink, or have casual sex because I know enough not to impose my lifestyle on anyone else.

What you are doing is truly slut-shaming, and reeks of misogyny. If she were male, you wouldn't give it another thought. Like it or not, there is a male bias in society where having sex with multiple people is acceptable, and even encouraged by many, for men, but perish the thought of women having a sex life.

But that is so very beyond the point when it comes to this case. This is not a case of high school girls, who are usually at least 15 as opposed to 13 (this can be a huge difference in intelligence/common sense), but a case of a previously convicted sex offender luring a young girl out and molesting her, then admitting to it with his plea. To call her a slut or insinuate she's to blame for being manipulated, again, shows that one is out of touch with such issues. Aside from running away, she's an innocent victim.

Strawberryelle wrote:
I mean, these foolish little girls with their tiny undeveloped female brains couldn't possibly be expected to be able to make any of their own decisions on who puts there p in their v let alone anything else in their life (Rolling eyes)

When they're raped, no, they can't. Surely this isn't new information.
citizenplain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This thread is becoming the talk of Twitter, and who knows where else. I'm sad for ANN. I'm sad for it's fan community too.

Some of the opinions expressed here (read: any blaming the minor for being coerced) turn my stomach. It's depressing and outrageous just how many people commenting here seem to advocate those views.

If there weren't misanthropic manchildren in every subculture, I'd be ashamed to ID myself as an anime fan.

We aren't all sexual deviants of course, though the public at large will continue to stereotype us as such, no thanks to the criminal mentioned in the article and the people defending him or demonizing the victim here.

And when that leads to further derision by the general public, and further scrutiny by law enforcement, when an opportunistic politician attempts to use Anime and its fans for cheap political gain, who to blame?

It's not that 13 year old child.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
citizenplain wrote:
This thread is becoming the talk of Twitter, and who knows where else. I'm sad for ANN. I'm sad for it's fan community too.

Some of the opinions expressed here (read: any blaming the minor for being coerced) turn my stomach. It's depressing and outrageous just how many people commenting here seem to advocate those views.

If there weren't misanthropic manchildren in every subculture, I'd be ashamed to ID myself as an anime fan.

We aren't all sexual deviants of course, though the public at large will continue to stereotype us as such, no thanks to the criminal mentioned in the article and the people defending him or demonizing the victim here.

And when that leads to further derision by the general public, and further scrutiny by law enforcement, when an opportunistic politician attempts to use Anime and its fans for cheap political gain, who to blame?

It's not that 13 year old child

no it's not her fault she didn't deserve anything that did or might have happened to her. I put myself down alot and I might even call myself a man child but there is no excuse, none for having sex with a girl that young when your 33 years old, I might die virgin but at this point I don't really care. This is the internet you can expect people to be themselves online, I am not even a 100% my normal self if you understand what I am saying but still .. I don't have nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
nekedo wrote:
Strawberryelle wrote:
When I was that age I normally hung out by myself so I would get occasionally hit on by middle aged creepers. I've had old strange men try to get me in their car before, but funny thing is, a simple snub always seemed to work. I never gave any old dudes my contact information at least thats for sure. Sure, kids that young aren't capable of making fully rational decisions, and yes, she was clearly taken advantage of, but thats not to say they don't have some sense in what they're doing. If you truly believe that nothing a kid does is there fault then your going to have a hell of a hard time punishing your kids when they mess up. So by your logic were the girls at your high school that slept around not sluts (not that its a bad thing, it just is what it is), and instead they were just being raped every other night?

Your experiences are not the standard, do not and should not represent the experiences of every other person in the world. I don't judge people who smoke, drink, or have casual sex because I know enough not to impose my lifestyle on anyone else.

What you are doing is truly slut-shaming, and reeks of misogyny. If she were male, you wouldn't give it another thought. Like it or not, there is a male bias in society where having sex with multiple people is acceptable, and even encouraged by many, for men, but perish the thought of women having a sex life.

But that is so very beyond the point when it comes to this case. This is not a case of high school girls, who are usually at least 15 as opposed to 13 (this can be a huge difference in intelligence/common sense), but a case of a previously convicted sex offender luring a young girl out and molesting her, then admitting to it with his plea. To call her a slut or insinuate she's to blame for being manipulated, again, shows that one is out of touch with such issues. Aside from running away, she's an innocent victim.

Strawberryelle wrote:
I mean, these foolish little girls with their tiny undeveloped female brains couldn't possibly be expected to be able to make any of their own decisions on who puts there p in their v let alone anything else in their life (9_9)

When they're raped, no, they can't. Surely this isn't new information.

I never said the girl was a slut, nor do I think that she is, and nor do I think its wrong to be so. and quite frankly it's irrelevant. I also never said my expereiences were the standard, I was responding to a retorical question by another poster.

And really? that last part was sarcastic. I would have thought the smirking rolling eyes emoticon would have covered it.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am not blaming her for being coerced. I am blaming her for willingly having carnal knowledge without her parents approval and without being married.

Quote:
I love how feminists assume hypocrisy. I condemn the bastard who had sex with the girl and lied to her. Strawberryelle never said she didn't think the same.
Assume good faith.
Quote:
Whatsmore, your understanding of the Five Precepts and the Eightfold Path is, to be blunt, wrong on almost all levels. Google it. You'll find 2 thing, 1) sexual activity isn't "morally reprehensible" in anyway, it is merely unpure and a distraction from the path to enlightenment, and 2) the suggestion that one abstain from sexual activity is only for a person who is on the path, not for a lay-person.

As for Christians, you are essentially right that her behavior was amoral, but she did not commit a cardinal sin (somewhat a catholic point of view) and if you truly understand Christianity, you'd look the more to the gospel (in particular the beatitudes and John 8:2-11) than to the old testament.
I was using Tradtitional Buddhism as a catch all for the patriarchal cultures of the Far East. I don't believe a religion can be understood outside of it's actual practice. I could have included Hinduism.
I am a Roman Catholic, and a Cardinal Sin is strictly speaking only a cardinal sin. It is a sin that can lead to greater sins, but most of them are Venial (minor) sins on their own. Sexual sins are almost inherently in the category Grave sins, sins that are required to be confessed to a priest. Only the Old Testament ritual and punitive law has expired, not Old Testament morality.

This is my last post on the subject. We all know where we stand.
citizenplain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Quote:
I am not blaming her for being coerced. I am blaming her for willingly having carnal knowledge without her parents approval and without being married.

Quote:
I love how feminists assume hypocrisy. I condemn the bastard who had sex with the girl and lied to her. Strawberryelle never said she didn't think the same.
Assume good faith.
Quote:

I was using Tradtitional Buddhism as a catch all for the patriarchal cultures of the Far East. I don't believe a religion can be understood outside of it's actual practice. I could have included Hinduism.
I am a Roman Catholic, and a Cardinal Sin is strictly speaking only a cardinal sin. It is a sin that can lead to greater sins, but most of them are Venial (minor) sins on their own. Sexual sins are almost inherently in the category Grave sins, sins that are required to be confessed to a priest. Only the Old Testament ritual and punitive law has expired, not Old Testament morality.

This is my last post on the subject. We all know where we stand.

You can't be forced to do something willingly. Coercion means that you don't get a choice. And why go through such a nuanced argument to defend an admitted rapist?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13