• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
This is totally Ichigo's fault. I would think I be understanding, and she was mostly trying to protect who was important to her, but she along with everyone else pushed Zero Two to the edge. They did not realize what her true darling that she just found about, really meant to her, they were petty much the scientist trying to rip the picture book away from her, in the context of what we saw last episode. They well and truly pushed Zero Two so far, that I would not even say a beast thing, but so much stress built up in a pretty much human way.

Fair that they did not understand, not realizing that they pretty much took the thing she cared about more than her own life. They pushed her into a nervous wreck after she realized she was hurting someone so important to her, and pushed her beyond a snapping point. By some point she should also realize that all his friends are important to him too, and that a free caring for others is important, but we also got through that Zero Two has never really been afforded the luxury of being allowed normal empathy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

Hiro and Zero Two are the couple of 2018. After such a downer last episode, the upper part of this episode felt oh so high. And more than that, the show sold me on things I was not completely so before, which was the "darling" nickname, and the OP song, which features a sensuality and mentions of "darling" that felt connected to my thoughts on the word for this series. It felt kind of pointless earlier that they blocked out words in their past which were more likely than not that he be her "darling", but it was a big impact here when we got one major push right on the foundation of who Zero Two is now, with one hell of an empowerment scene, that was not just meant to be a sad past.

But on top, everything in this episode was practically overpowering in how much there is to digest. One being a full show of how full of shit APE is, that without flinching they ordered those teenagers to commit suicide, and even an entire plantation, just to achieve their goals. And their goals seem to be where Klaxosaurs are from, which are clearly coming through some sort of human made facility that has a resemblance to the plantations. The "free them from their bodies" was especially creepy. We also see the inside of a Klaxoasur core, and it looked humanoid, so there is some hidden truth about the Klaxosaurs, that I expect to mirror aspects of the humans.

And I think that I practically had some of the hidden subtext messages pass me by, some of them practically felt subliminal as I am sure they were passing thoughts of our heroes calling out to each other. The build up to the reunion was just too good, that by the end even Ichigo seems to have given up. And Hiro hugging child Zero Two! It was too good. I have actually kind of hoping to get a good child Zero Two as a new avatar, which I have not changed in quite some time.

Oh, and the Nines seem to switch gender roles around a bit, and have faux horns.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
Finally, I'm caught up!

I heard this series got pretty feels-y once you get to episode 13 and yeah, I am not disappointed. Anime hyper

Cried like three times already. Anime cry Little Zero Two is adorable, I agree. Though I wonder how she was able to get a more human-ish (skin/eyes) appearance over time....? I don't think it's makeup.....Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

This is not good. By which I mean everything is good, too good. They are too happy, which means we are about to go down the tragedy line, just like what happens in the story after the point that the episode started off on. Zero Two hasn't seemed to have been happier, the greatest part being that it is not just with Hiro she is interacting with everyone, showcased when she said :"you two" when talking to Hiro and Goro. She is almost out of character in how open she is being, but it feels like she has overcome her largest flaw from earlier, which was opening up, and has become a more full person.

Hiro seems to also made some work to his more leader role, and Mitsuru seems to have forgiven HIro and started to move forward, getting a haircut that shows his kinder side. Mitsuru also got a surprise kiss. It would look like so far, that the doctor is wanting to see how independent the parasites can act, that they are starting to think for themselves, and can work outside of rigid situations. Although it looked like Zorome's outburst was about being worried over Futoshi, it seemed very clear that he has undergone a pretty drastic shake up to his world. We have been shown that Zorome more than the others has a dedication to Papa, a feeling of reliance and wanting to act to be of help out of thanks., but he has started to see that Papa can seemingly abandon them, and they are not helpless without him. I am more and more suspecting that the mystical Papa is just some myth, a construct for control that somewhat steals their ability to work for themselves. And now they can grow up

But on the subject of growing up, things are also looking bad. Mentions of the fevers that are the same thing that hit Mitsuru before, and presumably connected to aging, which Hiro is apparently resistant to. Zero Two even found grey hairs on Miku. Presumably this is the same sort of thing where for instance the partner Zero Two in the first episode seemed to look so much older. A looming threat that it feels like things will go bad for everyone.

I like that we have a new OP, and am completely fine with keeping the same song thematically I am really into it now. The visuals were a nice display that things have progressed, with Zero Two a much more positive character, but, there is also some tragic aspects. The ED looks even more menacing, that all personal issues are not solved. The episode also finished on a curious scene, Zero Two seems to be able to hear something akin to a call, something from the Klaxosaurs. We left off with some sort of figure that looks similar to Zero Two, brining to mind that she could be a sister like an evil side, or maybe the mother figure we saw in her flashback episode.

In my spare time I have been watching some analyses videos that go for about an hour long for each episode, which really have given some interesting insight into it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this is for sure "the calm before the storm". Sad

But....I just absolutely love episodes like this where we just relax and watch the interaction between everyone....and everyone just so friggin cute with everyone in this one. Between our main ship, Kokoro and Mitsuru (his hair looks way nicer now), and Zorome and Futoshi's drama-filled bromance....there wasn't a single boring moment for me.

Zero Two, the magnificent artist. :'D

The new OP animation is beautiful....but the tragic undertones are definitely worrisome.

I love how Hiro and Zero Two's kiss is more passionate and done right before the refrain drops; it feels much more powerful.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

They had sex!

Well in general, there has been a mix of great movement forward, but things are about to go shooting back, since the APE council no doubt are about to learn what the doctor has been working with. The Nines are telling on them. They were bad news. But somewhat interesting the topic of gender brought up.

But also a lot to theorize about at this point, that it looks like we have been given a bunch of different hints. It had felt like the direction we were going was on what makes a human, and that we would find out that the Klaxosaurs are one direction of humanity, with who we have been following, being the other. Interesting especially when the Klaxosaur princess accused two of the APE council of trying to pretend to be human. We did not get a look at the face of the council member after the mask was removed, perhaps putting forward that they themselves are not even human in much of a sense of the word, but robots.

Humans under Papa might be human only under appearances. They are cultivated, and just supposed to do things that look human, because that is what humans are meant to be from that point. We might learn that humans under the Klaxosaurs might have the emotional side of what makes a human, including the rage and procreaction that that forces that be under Papa see as disgusting.

An interesting point I also found is that Hachi, who has mostly seemed cold and unfeeling, actually looked far more human, and in the know of what the doctor is doing with this test group. Nana having some sort of breakdown from I would guess supressed feelings coming through, I was hearing an interesting theory yesterday that both Nana and Hachi may have been in the previous group, which we saw a photo of in those locked off rooms. Alpha also made reference that "Nana" and "Hachi", are indeed positions rather than names, which I oddly did not think about despite names clearly not being something common. Made me think that a "nana" is often the name for a woman of caring, like a grandmother, and always brought to my mind of something like a nanny (kind of like the dog from Peter Pan, I am silly).

And, yes, Hiro is getting horns.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Nana and Hachi being positions rather than names makes perfect sense since their “names” are also the words for seven (nana) and eight (hachi).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
(My fave part of 17 was actually this.
Anime smile

Episode 18

So we finally got a glimpse of Nana and Hachi's past. I think he had feels for her, definitely.

HOW DARE YOU INTERRUPT THE WEDDING!! Twisted Evil

02 looks great in the 13th squad uniform; that hat is especially cute on her.

Ikuno finally spilled her emotions. o.o But Ichigo handled that really well. Futoshi upped his bro level by taking the role of the minister. xD

While it's horrible with what happens to the cute newly weds, I confess, I'm just grateful these children are still alive. Sad And as Hiro proved, spoiler[the memory loss isn't quite 100% undoable.]

But what happens if Kokoro DOES become pregnant!? Because I'm sure these two didn't use protection......or even have access to some....you know? xD The ones in charge will for sure try to abort the baby. Sad

The Nines are really starting to piss me off. Every time they show up, I'm like "Argh, go away." =_=
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
What was great, but also kind of terrifying, about seeing Zero Two around the sakura blossoms, was that we had actually seen this before. I think that it was at the very start of the series we see small glimpses of Zero Two, one being her as her red oni child, and one of her in this uniform dancing as we just saw. The start of the show was telling is that there was something important about these two parts, as being a part of who Zero Two is, and what it means for the grander story.

Was feeling a bit ill in my stomach that it was looking that the wedding was going to be interrupted, that Mitsuru and Kokoro would be separated, and it did feel bad when it happened. And while it certainly is not feeling good that the two of them have had their minds altered to separate them, this actually feels hopeful if anything, they are alive, and have most memories of who they are intact, they can't remember the other but hints seem to push that them actually keeping the rings means the bond is not actually fully erased. We have also seen that the memory alteration is not perfect, that Zero Two could resist parts, that Hiro I think was still drawn to Zero Two regardless, and they regained the memories. Things are not over.

Also, from looking to something from the Nearly On Red, I think he managed to pick up small clues to something that is also happening. He theorised that from some OP imagery, and some parts of when the APE member met the Princess, that there is likely to be a split in the council. Not all the members may actually be the same thing, somewhat seems to be what was being foretold when one of them was unaffected by the princess, but I think it was done even more from a piece of dialogue. Some of the APE council seemed confused about how the meeting went down, that it was not as cordial even from their side as what they thought. One of the APE members talked about some of the others that the goal will help release "them" from their "shells", their so called bodies. Which I think is pointing that some of the members are people, but some might be robots, and while these robots are claiming that the goal they are going for will help preserve humanity, I think that it will be in a way that the human members will think. These robots may be responsible for some of the dehumanisation that has happened to them, that they perhaps think that they are trying to make themselves humans in how they see it, while removing, while removing the parts from the rest of humanity that does not conform to that. Although, I guess this is still speculation.

Also, the weekly discussion area, it was kind of spoiled parts of how this episode was going down, and people were already going off that Ikuno was looking like some sexual assaulter, which would be bad as representation of the only gay character. But, it actually went down really well, Ikuno expressed how (sexually) frustrated she feels, about all her doubts, but I don't think actually forced anything really bad onto Ichigo. And Ichigo, she handled it really well, as opposed to her comments after the test from the partner switch episode, she talked things really well out with Ikuno, and validated those feelings, even if she is not returning them, which surprise I think is really nuanced.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
^I thought the Ikuno and Ichigo scene was written really well. People are always quick to point and yell "RAPE!!!!!" anytime a character is leaning over another one....which I find kinda silly. Rolling Eyes It was a love confession. That was all. She didn't kiss her, didn't molest her, really didn't do anything to make her feel uncomfortable. Ichigo was surprised, for sure...but she didn't look scared or upset about it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

So no real surprise that the Franxx are modified Klaxosaurs. It was pretty evident during the doctor's flashback, which some people thought how they worked was a lack of logic. Kind of surprise that the members of the APE council that started their organization and there were lots of evidence were not humans themselves, appear to be energy beings, that seem to have had the plan to absorb humanity. I guess they sort of see humanity like humanity was to the lava energy. And it looked we got hints that the lava energy themselves may be a people of sorts, a split development where the Klaxosapiens became what they did, while they seemed to become sort of energy for the planet. Which leaves to the question that if humans are klaxosaurs, then one might count the energy, but I also wonder if may be symbolic that if the Klaxosaurs like princess have no direct link to humans, then humans were created by the lava energy, that the humans are their children, but they were using the lava energy as a mere energy source.

It is a little complicated. But 001 (the princess), is a little mean, I guess she was not taking too well that humans planned on taking control of the "child", something that seems to be a defence system of the entire planet. Her and HIro are in the middle of being consumed, but hopefully Zero Two can save the day. By looking at how much trouble Zero Two is having from wounds, it seems a little sad that she could not do something like how she was a little red Oni she could heal really quickly, that possibly could come in help.

Also, Kokoro is totally preggers.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

I kind of suspected that Zero Two might have become one with Strelitzia, but it was not until a bunch of cuts appeared when she was looking up at the sky followed by explosions, did fully understand what the episode was setting up, and that was cool. It meant that Zero Two decided to fight above to protect them all.

The episode was filled with a lot of doubt and frustration, but at the same time they are so many good things like planning for the future, the other parasites pulled away from just combat, the return of Nana who can really take steps to be a parental figure, a confirmation of what Kokoro wanted in getting pregnant, and so on. Well I guess Kokoro and Mitsuru will be required to look after home, with I think the two Nanas, because like Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and a bit of Little Witch, they are going to space yo. I can already start to hear Libera me from Hell starting to play. Now for them to go out to spoiler[save the princess partner from the life fibre antispiral, so they can bring magic back to the world].

Oh, and was Dr Franxx saving the children who were going to be disguarded, by freezing them?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
I think this episode was definitely a step-up from previous ones. For me, the series is a its best (which, admittedly, is not a high bar) when the kids are learning (or trying to) how to live on their own.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

The series is definitely wrapping up. Without the mystery and roller-coaster emotions that come with watching the kids grow up, the series is slowly dwindling.

That's probably my only gripe about the entire series (other than those specials that really wrecked the flow).

I'm looking forward to the conclusion of the series more than anything at this point. I feel like all my questions have been answered, the ships are sailing, and all that's left is to finish their jobs. I am simply left waiting. I think I would have preferred a fast, action-packed episode 23 rather than what we got which was a slow walk.

Mitsuru continues to be my best boy. But I was sad to see spoiler[Alpha, my second best boy,] go down this episode.

Here's hoping for a good conclusion!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
One more episode, just one more. Honestly I let out a laugh when Apus got Zero Two's features, it looked kind of funny, but calling it strelitzia True Apus was cool, and really did give off the celestial atmosphere that it was trying to give. I also totally love the visualization of Hiro going into the picture book, with Zero Two as the scared little oni girl, and that the avatar Hiro then took was the dorky prince drawing that he made. Was great.

Now, the end has a couple things to consider, because at this point it really is fitting in its themes of a story going forward, and if they can change the last page. Two series I really look will be of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, because Darling in the Franxx is really in the vein of these two series. And the ending of those series had spoiler[Simon losing Nia] in Gurren Lagann, and spoiler[Ryuko lost Senketsu] in Kill la KIll,

Oh, and secondary couple, Mitsuru and Kokoro, also had great moments with love returned. I am expecting a time skip next week, to see how everyone has progressed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10