• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2017

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I have seen 77 of the shows on the mega poll list to completion so I would hope I would qualify in your mind for seeing enough shows. I also had MHA in my top 5 but not Made in Abyss (which was an honorable mention) because I thought MHA season 2 was a genuinely better show.

I’m sorry, what? How does that work? MiA and MHA are two completely different shows that can have different audiences and both go about their own different way of presenting their own stories. They are both good shows and I know that it’s perfectly fine to have your own opinion to have enjoyed one more than the other, but I’m just a little confused by this comparison between two different genres (even if it’s not intentional). Also, a show’s second season vs. another’s first isn’t exactly a fair comparison, IMO.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I removed the obvious troll bait post and responses to it. Please don't take such obvious bait and just report/ignore it. Thanks.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the rather generic Attack on Titan ranking so high just makes me lose faith in the anime fandom. Other choices are really good overall. Sad to see better shows not higher up like March Comes in Like a Lion. I still don't think on-going shows should be counted since no one can fairly judge them as a whole but whatever, Magus Bride is at least good so I won't get too upset seeing it on there when it's incomplete.

edit: song choices honestly surprised me on your best theme song list. BUMP OF CHICKEN deserved their vote. loved that song since it came out on their 2016 album. Sayuri deserved it as well. Only thing missing that I'd add is the other fhána songs that were used this year, and ClariS's Eromanga theme
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Comparing this year's poll to some of the previous ones:

My Hero Academia moved from 4th in last year's poll to 1st, which makes sense with the show's not only increased popularity but also improved quality of the second season, I'd say.

Konosuba moved from 8th last year to 5th, which is pretty nice to see, as one of my favorite comedies of the last two years.

Dragon Maid ranked 7th, compared to 19th in 2015 and 15th last year for KyoAni's previous work, Sound Euphonium, which is great, even if I would rank Euphonium higher myself.

Even if I would have preferred to see it higher this year, March is doing much better than last year (10th versus 24th), though the second season was an improvement over the first.

While Food Wars isn't doing as well as its debut year (5th), its third season did improve to 12th from the second season's 14th place.

While BBB didn't do poorly at 13th this year, it was going to be hard to match the first season's 6th place rank in 2015.

Even if it wasn't a full season, Owarimonogatari's second season improved to 15th from 20th in 2015.

While it would have been nice if Rakugo was higher, given even some of the reviewers who ranked it highly saw Rakugo's second season as a little below the first, I guess it isn't surprising it fell from 12th to 16th.

Gintama dropped slightly from the 2015 season's 18th to 19th this year.

I think I'll leave it at that so that it doesn't go on for too long.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
While I'm sure we all read the results of the poll with interest, the most pressing matter for me was to confirm the precise number of my fellow voters. I can now confirm that I am one amongst The Twenty-Seven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
While I'm sure we all read the results of the poll with interest, the most pressing matter for me was to confirm the precise number of my fellow voters. I can now confirm that I am one amongst The Twenty-Seven.

You have my respect, good sir!

Not sure I can say the same about 37 who voted for Hand Shakers or the 75 who voted for King's Game.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed at no Kemono Friends in best anime theme song. Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. isn't one of the worse shows this season. Why? spoiler[Because it ends in a harem.] Thank you to the 10 other users who voted for Reikenzan. Nice to see your culture cultivated. Another thank you for voting for Kemono Friends and Hajimete no Gal.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I watched a good amount of new shows this year, but there weren't many that I thought were of particularly high quality, so I only voted for 4 series:

4: the unusual-for-me Seiren. Harem is not my kind of thing typically, but I liked the different route idea and the first two romances felt really nice and genuine. It also made me watch its predecessor Amagami SS which I liked even more.

3: Recovery of an MMO Junkkie was nice and very heartfelt.

2: Scum's Wish is, for lack of a better term, a 'dark romance', which is a genre I don't see nearly enough of, and I found this one to be a very good example of it.

1: Re:Creators succeeded in being a strong meta-anime with fascinating characters that transcended their archetypes and a story that transcended traditional lines in many ways, while having some great things to say about the creative process and nature and meaning of fiction.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I'm very surprised that MHA is that high, to be honest. It's a good show, but I guess this is what having a larger viewership does for something. I imagine a lot of the votes for MHA are by people who have watched very little else this year. I figured here on ANN the more niche shows like Made in Abyss and Land of the Lustrous would have a higher chance of getting good rankings, so I'm happy to see them there, but I didn't expect MHA to see these numbers. I can only imagine after seeing MHA's rank though, that the result of CR's Awards is once again going to be inevitable.

Mainstream viewers still didn't help AoT get to 1st place. Boruto was also a show with high traffic, but it didn't help it all that much A show succeeding at reaching mass appeal should also be taken into account imo. It proves that show captivated lots of people through maybe its cast, its premise or its animation. A show that doesn't do it obviously failed somewhere. Also you know MHA was also really good. Some of the best highlights of the year. It is a really beloved series. You don't need to search for reasons to discredit its high placement.

It better wins it all at the anime awards. It deserves it.

This is an ignorance of effect modification. Exposure, rather than raising the popularity of all shows, makes bad shows more infamous and good shows more dominant. In this case, MHA's being on a free streaming service allowed many more people to see it than made it through MiA's double paywall.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:

This is an ignorance of effect modification. Exposure, rather than raising the popularity of all shows, makes bad shows more infamous and good shows more dominant. In this case, MHA's being on a free streaming service allowed many more people to see it than made it through MiA's double paywall.

I don't think this is a big factor for people on ANN though. I think it was either Jacob or Zac that said that a show being on Prime didn't affect the traffic on their site anymore. For the anime community at large though? You probaly would have a point.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So here's the summary of the 14 ANN contributors, who ranked a total of 29 titles. Number given is the number of different lists it appeared on. In cases of ties, I used highest placements as tiebreakers. If tiebreakers still couldn't determine an order then I listed them on the same line.

Made in Abyss - 9 (4 1st)
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - 7
The Ancient Magus' Bride - 6
Land of the Lustrous - 5 (1 1st)
Attack on Titan s2 - 5
My Hero Academia s2 - 5
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 3 (all 1st)
Kemono Friends - 3
Scum's Wish - 3
Little Witch Academia - 2 (1 1st)
Princess Principal, Recovery of an MMO Junkie - 2
Gintama, Gundam Thunderbolt, In this Corner of the World, Mobile Suit Gundam: IBO s2, Saga of Tanya the Evil - 1 (1st)
Natsume Yujin-Cho Roku - 1 (3rd)
Gamers!, Konohana Kitan, New Game!, Owarimonogatari s2, Re:CREATORS, Sakura Quest - 1 (4th)
ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept., Berserk, Girls' Last Tour, Girls Beat Boys, The Eccentric Family s2 - 1 (5th)

Interestingly Girls Last Tour didn't get that much publicity. Well being released late in the year and behind Amazon's double paywall was a factor. Still I thibk it is a worthy spiritual successor to Haibane Renmei.

Anyway I got all my other favorites of the year in there except Mahoujin Guru Guru. That one was an overlooked gem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shaterri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the core lesson to be learned from Kemono Friends is the power of (a) worldbuilding, and (b) creative vision. It's a show that I think would have been legitimately less interesting if it were more polished; after about 15 years(!) of watching anime, quality almost isn't enough in and of itself; a show has to be good and different to really stick in my brain, and this quiet, quirky little series managed to stand out by sheer force of personality, a personality that I think would have been buried under better visuals. TATSUKI's work on the show is so much his own that it's hard to see how anyone else can safely handle the series now.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
Might as well do my mine before the year ends...
1 Tie between Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Season 2 and Made in Abyss
In the end, it had to come down to these two and I just really couldn't put one over the other.
2. Land of the Lustrous
3. The Ancient Magus' Bride
4. Little Witch Academia
5. My Hero Academia Season 2
Honorable mentions: Scum's Wish, Eccentric Family 2, Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond, Fate/Apocrypha, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
Best non-stop ongoing series from a previous year: Dragon Ball Super which saw a pretty big upswing in it's quality with the Tournament of Power arc.
Best plot twist: Made in Abyss: Nanachi and Mitty's past and how it must end...
Rakugo: How Kiku and Miyokichi really died.
Best Characters: Phosphophyllite (Land of the Lustrous), Chise and Elias (The Ancient Magus' Bride) The entire main cast of Rakugo, The entire main cast of Made in Abyss, Hero Killer Stain (MAH Season 2), Toru and Kanna (Dragon Maid), Mordred (Fate/Apocrypha), Caulifla and Kale (Dragon Ball Super)
Best theme songs: Limit Breaker x Survivor (Dragon Ball Super), Deep in Abyss (Made in Abyss), Here (Ancient Magus' Bride), "Imawa no Shinigami (Rakugo S2), Fake Town Baby (BBB&B) Aozora no Rhapsody (Dragon Maid) gravityWall and shØut (Re:CREATORS)
Worst Anime: Hand Shakers and Dies Irae

Last edited by Zeino on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:29 am; edited 4 times in total
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
Apologies for the late comment as I finally escaped from the clutches of my family during the holiday season. In any case, here are my Top 5 Anime Series of 2017 (including sequels):

5) Land of the Lustrous - A show that took me by complete surprise with its very well-done CGI animation, blending beautifully with the gorgeous painted backgrounds, and a solid story to boot. My former interest in gemstones as a child increased my enjoyment of the show even further. Watching Phos' character development was interesting to watch and I hope a second season will arrive to help answer the mysteries the first season sets up as the story is currently incomplete.

4) Made in Abyss - One of the best new anime series of recent years with a powerful OST, gorgeous visuals, strong direction (thanks to having the same director as Monster), detailed environments, and very good storytelling. Despite the good things I've said about the show, I remain reserved in calling it a masterpiece or a classic though.

3) Owarimonogatari S2 - Fantastic conclusion to the Owarimonogatari arc. Can't say much more.

2) March Comes in Like a Lion S2 - Director Akiyuki Shinbou and his team at Studio Shaft continue to perform a masterful job of elevating Chica Umino's lovely storytelling with outstanding visuals, sound, and direction. Really makes me sad to see it overshadowed by AMB's hype as it doesn't get enough appreciation from the anime community in my opinion.

1) Descending Stories: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - While I do agree with others that Yotaro's story is less compelling than Yakumo and Sukeroku's story in the first season, it's still a fantastic season in its own regard as it carries the show's same strengths (like Paul mentioned) and concluded the show wonderfully. Unlike some people, I wasn't disgusted by its ending and didn't let my personal feelings blind my vision from seeing its purpose in the story as it makes sense from a thematic & storytelling standpoint. A true modern masterpiece and it's something I don't say lightly.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
Here is how i voted, i think:

1 Welcome to the Ballroom - 9/10
2 March comes in like a lion - 9/10
3 Mr. Osomatsu Season 2 - 8,5/10
4 Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 8/10
5 Attack on Titan Season 2 - 8/10

2 made it in the top 10. That´s something, i guess. A solid year for TV anime and fairly rough one for movies and OVAs. Dat Blade Runner ONA though! It portably got my first masterpiece rating since the 2nd season of Mushishi. Not that i will likely see more such experiments in the future if i consider how much money Blade Runner 2 lost. Insert a tears in rain meme [here]. And actual tears...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11