• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are People More Upset By Nudity Than Violence?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
And I'm glad that those anime (and stage play) exist, that go into social and political commentary and criticism about their own country. On the other hand, Mr. Osomatsu got two episodes banned for taking their parodying too far.

However, this is a country that also has the Chrysanthemum Taboo, the idea that one should not portray the Emperor in the media in any way. I'd guess this has something to do with the squeamishness over Metal Wolf Chaos, a game in which you play as the U.S. President rescuing civilians from the clutches of his evil Vice President, as they feared Americans would not take a tongue-in-cheek depiction of a president well, even a fictional one.

Though it isn't Japan, the country where my parents came from also has a culture in which the leader of a country is deemed sacred, and it's blasphemous to poke fun of him (or her...though there's no female one yet), or to even speak of him in a non-formal way. Consequently, the people from this country who immigrated to the United States were quite shocked when they discovered that Americans make fun of their leaders all the time, whether it be the president, the governor, the mayor, or the boss at work. Some of them are registered to vote but choose not to do so, as they consider it as speaking against the government. The place isn't even some totalitarian dictatorship of any sort--they just genuinely believe that it's morally wrong to speak out against your superiors, even in private.
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
In both America and Japan, sexual lust is seen as uncool and sinful, while lack of sexual lust is seen as cool and bad-ass. People get upset over nudity because on some level, exposing sexual lust inside people is a form of weakness, so they attack nudity to give off this impression that they hate nudity and sex, just to prove to the world that they are cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9