• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long have you been into anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aikoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I started watching anime around 1995 or 1996 but I didn't actually know what it was until 1999 when a friend of mine had me watching Evangelion with her. I didn't really start getting into manga until I started reading Shonen Jump USA in 2003 because manga was a lot more expensive when I first became an anime fan than it is now (I'm looking at an older edition of one of Viz's Dragon Ball Z graphic novels and I can't believe it was really $14.95 in US Dollars!).
finalcloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
When I was young I watched Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, and Pokemon. That the best show I saw when I was young.

Sometime I used to watched something funny like when they talk weird. Smile
imperative7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I started to watch Anime in some form or another since the mid-80's with Voltron, G-Force, and Robotech on TV. I was also a huge fan of Transformers and loved the show, comics, and toys. I didn't really realize that these shows were based from Japan until much later since I was a little kid back then. I saw some anime films on and off in the early to mid-90's but didn't really get back into it until I was watching DBZ on a local station in syndication (the Namek saga) and loved it. I also became a fan of Tenchi by watching shows on CN and enjoyed Gundam Wing. I became an even bigger fan with Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop coming to the US on TV. I started buying Anime on VHS with DBZ once Funimation started to release the show themselves. I first really started to become a huge fan when I got my first DVD player in 2001 and I bought the first 2 collections of Outlaw Star and the Tenchi Muyo OVA collection. I eventually started to buy a great deal of anime and now buy a great deal of anime on a regular basis. I am now what some would call a total Otaku.
DKong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh started me off in like 1999ish...I didn't really know it was anime until about 2001ish, though.
Then in something like 03 I started watching Inuyasha and other animes.

Then in '06 I went to my first con and that really set me off.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow, without thinking hard about this question, I would have said it seemed like a long time to me that I have been into anime, however I didn't get into it big until I was watching Cowboy Bebop and Trigun on [as] back in '03. It's only been about 5 years that I have been big into anime.
This surprises me when I think about it.
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, If you count time as 'casual' anime fan I think I forget the first anime I ever saw.. (but I'm pretty sure it's a robot-themed anime)

After the 'robot' era, I am as casual as ever following the craze of DBZ, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon... even though I grow to know more about anime (its definitions etc) I never take much interest in it.

Then in High school I met a (more than) casual anime fan, from him I watched some things such as Cowboy Bebop, Saber Marionette J, DNA 2, Cardcaptor Sakura, Wolf's Rain, and many more (at that time I don't care a thing about legal or not so I don't remember what copies they are). However, at that time not any one of them encourages me (or maybe I just don't have the motivation) to know more about anime. Instead, I was sweeped by the Naruto fandom (which, admittedly, introduced me to mangascan).

It was not until college that I found another anime fan.. It's pretty unrelated, but from him I came to know the Super Robot Wars games (Alpha 3, MX, and J) which really 'burns' the 'child' in me. I then motivated to know more about the series borrowed from him some shows that featured in those games such as Shin Getter Robo (the 2004 one, though I know now it;s different), Nadesico, Full Metal Panic and Gundam SEED... Then I somehow heard a show named Fullmetal Alchemist, admittedly initially interested because of the name similarity to a previously mentioned show I asked my friend about it and he mentions how good it is. I saw it and man, my love for the show at that time exceeds any show I've seen before (hell, I've even marathoned it a few days before my exam). I begun to search for more info about anime (especially reviews).. Finally, at one time when I borrowed Full Metal Alchemist Conqueror of Shamballa he also brings a show called The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi... Having read about it before and how it received a good review I borrow it too.... And how for the first time I was really BLOWN by the colorful animation which I think was vastly superior to any anime at that time, even though I don't understand many of the implied homage (believe it or not, If my memory serves correct I don't even know the meaning of the word 'moe' at that time). It was around its time I finally know ANN (though I stumbled ANN once or twice before) and become its rather frequent visitor. Now I can finally say the rest is history... Now that I more or less become a bigger anime fan than my college friend (my overall knowledge about anime, its creators and its fandom are much better than his even though he's seen more series than me due to my irrelugalar pace of viewing compared to him)
xm0123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The first anime I saw, or at least, the first anime I saw when I knew what anime meant, was pokemon back in 1999. I didn't like it.

Then, in 2002-2003 or so, I tried watching some other series, including Inuyasha, Fruits Basket, Battle Athletes Victory, Dragonball Z, and Sonic X. I did not enjoy ANY OF THEM.

I came to believe that all anime, or at least all anime released in America anyways (I am American, FYI.), really truly sucked. So I went cold turkey for about four years. Only in mid-2007 did I end the moratorium.

Late one night in mid-2007, I saw a rerun of Fullmetal Alchemist on Cartoon Network. All of my online friends loved the show. Feeling bored, I watched it. I loved it. Shortly afterwards, I rented Miyazaki movies and watched more anime on Adult Swim. I came to love many of them, too. Although I'm still wary of a large portion of the anime fanbase, I have, at the very least, discovered good, watchable anime.
lobo217

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I know I love anime since I was a child but, there is big gap from child to the next time I watch anime
I must say that the two series that help me go back into anime were Onegai Teachers and GTO

I guess I can make an argument that anime has always been in my blood and that I just took a little vacation but once an anime fan, always an anime fan
KrissTale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Since i was about 7/6 years old....
Calina_Maito

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
I started watching anime in 2002 maybe 2003 when I started getting into the anime series YuGiOh and I got the anime magazine known as Anime Insider and started reading about other animes and discovered a few on tv that I started watching and well... yah. I had seen animes in the past like sailor Moon and Pokemon but I never knew they were animes (and I didn't know what anime was at that time, either.)
Hatumasuku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
I just got into it but with alot of anime watching i should be Jesus when it comes to anime i just bought every session to eureka seven it was my First anime dvd i ever bought
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I got into it around the same time I finally got cable. DBZ was what got me into anime at the time, although staying up late yeilded Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star as well.
Way before that, I was into the Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow games, but that was more as a kids show than actual anime. Therefore, I didn't really get into it until the Buu saga of DBZ. As of now, I've been into anime for about 6 1/2 years I suppose.
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I have only been into anime for the last 9 months. I have been exposed to it for a much longer time though. Most of my friends were obsessed with anime during middle school and high school. At the time, I really could never get into it. This is mainly due to the genres that they almost exclusively watched.

My real turning point happened when I learned that were other genres that existed in anime besides action based shonens and ecchis . It seemed like this the only type of stuff they ever watched. It wasn't until I met someone in college before I started watching it on my own will. If only someone had introduced me to Cowboy Bebop or Excel Saga sooner, I would have become addicted at a much younger age.
misosoupwitheggplant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime since... 1995, with Pokemon? I was really little, though... Considering I was born the year before, it's kinda amazing I remember watching Pokemon with my brother. But even before 1995, I was apparently always messing with electronics, earning me the title, 'A technological kinda girl.' So I probably saw Pokemon and thought of the games.
Of course, I really got into anime when I turned ten, watching stuff like Tokyo Mew Mew, Cardcaptor Sakura, Di Gi Charat, Mermaid melody, mostly magical girl stuff. Very Happy
Slykain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, really, really hard question, I might say... around... 8 years, when they putted Dragon Ball in TV for the first time in México.
(or even more than 8 years now o.o)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11