• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megaupload Site Shut Down Partly Due to Fruits Basket Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
It's the difference in money, music is relatively cheap to make and generally needs at most something like 5 people to do. With anime you need about a hundred people to make it, and it cost millions of dollars to make just 13 episodes of it.

This makes it sound more appealing for manga ~ but there's still the fact that the free downloads are both a direct income to the musician and a boost to prospective ticket sales for concerts. Plus social media makes it much easier for a niche musician or musical act to find places where you can be sure of drawing your fans than in the old days.

The concert income side is hard to duplicate for a manga-ka.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

This makes it sound more appealing for manga ~ but there's still the fact that the free downloads are both a direct income to the musician and a boost to prospective ticket sales for concerts. Plus social media makes it much easier for a niche musician or musical act makes it easier to be find places where you can be sure of drawing your fans than in the old days.

The concert income side is hard to duplicate for a manga-ka.

There's a reason why webcomics are made only 3 pages a week. The average web comic creator can't live off his creation, only the largest hits like Penny-Arcade, Ctrl alt del, and Girl Genius allow that.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't heard a dark age for the Internet. Crimes is a crime, but rapid fear when even if your legally okay in the eyes of the law doesn't seem stop service people being panicly and shut down things.

I wish Japan's anime makers weren't so darn tight fisted about exporting their art over. Some companies outright refuse to export for one reason or another. Some wait decades to get around doing it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
All of these site shutting down or changing their sharing policy is actually a legitimate problem for legal filesharing as well. Now sending legal documents, videos, pictures, and music is going to be much more inconvenient for the normal Joe. Just hope MF doesn't cave, because that will really hurt how people give other people files.
Avarwen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that one down and 500 more just popped up

^
This

I haven't used Megaupload in ages but from what I remember they did take down files that weren't legal. So it's silly to blame them for what their users did you can't watch and delete EVERY illegal file. Napster went legit yet people still pirate music they got rid of limewire yet people still pirate movies and T.V shows. This means nothing in the long run they are wasting their time on this when they could be working on more pressing things.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Avarwen wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

^
This

I haven't used Megaupload in ages but from what I remember they did take down files that weren't legal. So it's silly to blame them for what their users did you can't watch and delete EVERY illegal file. ...

Yes, that would be silly, and if that was the charge, the Grand Jury would have been much less likely to indict them.

The charge is that they were informed about infringing files by their rights owners and deliberately decided not to take them down.
Avarwen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Avarwen wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

^
This

I haven't used Megaupload in ages but from what I remember they did take down files that weren't legal. So it's silly to blame them for what their users did you can't watch and delete EVERY illegal file. ...

Yes, that would be silly, and if that was the charge, the Grand Jury would have been much less likely to indict them.

The charge is that they were informed about infringing files by their rights owners and deliberately decided not to take them down.

But how can they tell the Megaupload deliberately left the files up. With so many files they were bound to miss some. Though I did read somewhere else that Megaupload only got rid of the links and not the actual content but I'm not sure how true that is.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Avarwen wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Avarwen wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

^
This

But how can they tell the Megaupload deliberately left the files up. With so many files they were bound to miss some. Though I did read somewhere else that Megaupload only got rid of the links and not the actual content but I'm not sure how true that is.

there are also supposedly emails that confirm that they were not taking anything down and saying they were making money on others peoples work. So if there is any incriminating evidence that proves that then they are screwed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Avarwen wrote:

That is hard to prove, which is why this has been a two year investigation. However, they did prove it to the satisfaction of the grand jury, so now it goes to trial and they have to prove it in court.

And, yes, the fact that the takedown tool is explicitly limited to a fixed quota per day makes it harder for Megaupload to argue they qualify for safe harbor protection. If the court is convinced that MU executives were deciding which companies were dangerous enough so MU should respect the takedown requests and which were small enough to safely ignore ...

... in that can be proven, not only are they in hot water, but they are scumbags who deserve to be in hot water, more or less respecting the rights of big companies but abusing the rights of smaller companies and individual creators.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a lot of thoughts on the subject, however I just noticed something really interesting on the Toonzaki facebook page. Apparently according to the people that run the site, because of Megaupload being shutdown, traffic on the Toonzaki website increased 20%.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Avarwen wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

I haven't used Megaupload in ages but from what I remember they did take down files that weren't legal. So it's silly to blame them for what their users did you can't watch and delete EVERY illegal file. Napster went legit yet people still pirate music they got rid of limewire yet people still pirate movies and T.V shows. This means nothing in the long run they are wasting their time on this when they could be working on more pressing things.

People are arrested, tried, and convicted on a regular basis for a variety of crimes, but those crimes are still committed on a regular basis. Based on your argument, we should disband all police departments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9