• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Shounenmageddon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
But lumping Crunchyroll with the other sites that are largely restricted to North America doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Hmm.. i will bite only once I can understand dvd regions becasue of how the market needs to sell things.

What are you biting on? Whether IP blocking should exist at all? Whether it makes long term strategic sense to grant these licenses with these checkerboard regions? Whether it makes current financial sense to grant these licenses with these checkerboard regions? In this:

Quote:
... IP blocking however and restrictions to sites becasue you live somewhere I don't care what your reason is.. it's b.s. I grew up with the net always being open/free for anybody in the world now it's just ending up like everything else.

I'm assuming you're biting on whether IP blocking should exist at all?

I was responding to a claim that most streaming is restricted to North America, and that's simply untrue for the largest anime streaming site. It doesn't become true based on different positions people might have on IP blocking.

From a long term strategic perspective, content created for a domestic market ought to be licensed for digital streaming access on the broadest workable scale. The long term strategic ideal for anime is to stream worldwide outside of Japan, within an hour or two of domestic broadcast or domestic stream.

Pragmatically, for some regions where advertising might not be able to cover the cost of bandwidth, that might be on a subscription-only basis, so there's your first basis for IP blocking ~ IP-blocking ad-streams from regions if there are in fact no advertisers willing to pay enough to the site to cover the bandwidth cost to the streaming site.

However, at present, the principle limitation is that digital streaming distribution returns such a small share of the total cost of the production that if there is someone willing to actually help fund the production, and included in their rights they want rights for "X" part of the world, and there is someone else willing to actually help fund the production, and included in their rights they want rights for "Y" part of the world, then there will not be a single place to go to to get worldwide-ex-japan rights.

And also, at present, the revenues from large parts of the world are so limited that they cannot even cover the costs of drawing up and signing a second contract to give one streaming site the right to stream worldwide-ex-Japan rights.

So, pragmatically, when someone starts going on about internet freedom and worldwide flow of information, a production committee that has to put together a production budget is likely to answer, "show me the money".

When Crunchyroll went legit, they aimed for 0.6% of their 5m users to subscribe within 3 years. They hit that in under a year and a half, and have gone above 1% ... but if they had hit even 5% of their users in their pirate bay days subscribing, and streaming royalties for the top ten streaming hits of a season were paying something like the production cost of one episode per season ... they'd be sitting in some production committees and be getting worldwide ex-Japan simulcast streaming rights to shows at the outset, in the production committee formation negotiation. And signing two or three simulcast streaming contracts to merge worldwide-ex-Japan rights that had been fractured would be financially feasible. And production committees would carve out worldwide-ex-Japan simulcast streaming rights as a separate thing in the first place, and not let them get split up.

Now, pragmatically, hoping for 5% of the bunch of entitled freeloaders that were getting their bootleg fix at Crunchyroll to front up to the bar and pay for a round of drinks ~ that's unrealistic. That's why they were aiming at 0.6%. But if the tiny occasional "storm sewer in a desert" trickle of money from internet streaming became a small steady creek of money, then "give us the rights for this or that long term or intangible reason" would become "give us the rights because it will get the most possible money in this small money-creek trickling in to refund a small slice of the production budget".

That's all from the business perspective, not the artistic rights perspective. Ethically, the creator of an original work has the right to specify the terms under which it is copied, and if those terms are that its only made available to Mongolia between 12am and 12pm on the first Monday of each month, that's their prerogative. The desires of an individual viewer, without whom the work would still exist, does not trump the desires of the creator, without whom the work would not exist. The technical ability to trample that prerogative does not make it right, any more than the technical ability to shoot a young black man for the crime of walking while black when coming back from a trip to a convenience store makes it right to shoot that young man.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Fansubs in the past did greatly contribute to anime fandom, but for the most part they're no longer necessary, especially for new anime. But I would like to see more groups like Live-Evil who focus on older anime that have never seen a release, although maybe not as slowly as they release some shows. I would like to see them finish Snow Queen.

The ending of Bleach has been coming for some time. The most recent arc looked like epilogue. Although given how long it's taken to play out other story arcs it seems as if this one has been cut short.

I think they should give Naruto another 25 episodes which would bring it's total between the two shows to 500. However, I suspect it will end with about 600 episodes. I really don't care anything about One Piece though, although if they do end it I might feel more inclined to watch it. I would like to see more D.Grey-Man but I don't expect to.

HunterXHunter does look to be the next mega-anime series but at only about 25 episodes it's too soon to say. I'm tempted to watch the old series but I don't want to spoil this one with what might happen.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Aereus: Your statement about manga importing is made with the assumption that the reader only cares about the Japanese companies.

I care about the English licensor as well. The Japanese execs get enough money from their own country. I buy translated volumes so the licensing company stays in business so I can....buy more translated volumes.

Also, reading a vertical medium on a horizontal computer screen is really annoying.

Also scanlations are made by weeaboos and often terribly translated.

Chagen...manga is made in japan if the companies here go out business manga is still going to made just not translated legally.Now come on not all scanlations are that bad unless you are reading naruto or bleach but I think the people that are doing to love darkness and kodomo no jikan are decent job. These people are doing out of their free time and have no obligation to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
... Chagen...manga is made in japan if the companies here go out business manga is still going to made just not translated legally. ...

I guess that buying a particular manga to support a particular artist or a particular more fringe genre has some "support the struggling artist" sense to it ~ but manga in Japan is not eking out a living on the back of some under 10,000 fans who are willing to pay the prices required to keep it going ... its much more of a mass market with manga sold once in cheap serials and then again in slightly more expensive but quite affordable tankoubon ~ and the two markets do overlap but not completely.

And not only is the manga industry in Japan in healthier shape than the anime industry, its better positioned to make the transition to gaining a substantial share of their revenue pie from digital distribution, because its as big of a leap from their current model.

So someone who likes professional translations of manga would seem to be "supporting" the struggling side of the market by buying the bona fide translations.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Aereus: Your statement about manga importing is made with the assumption that the reader only cares about the Japanese companies.

I care about the English licensor as well. The Japanese execs get enough money from their own country. I buy translated volumes so the licensing company stays in business so I can....buy more translated volumes.

Also, reading a vertical medium on a horizontal computer screen is really annoying.

Chagen...manga is made in japan if the companies here go out business manga is still going to made just not translated legally.Now come on not all scanlations are that bad unless you are reading naruto or bleach but I think the people that are doing to love darkness and kodomo no jikan are decent job. These people are doing out of their free time and have no obligation to do so.

I know that. What I meant was that I wanted manga to continue to e legally released in America, so I buy translated manga. The japanese execs get enough money from Japanese sales, and my purchase sti does get some money back to them.

In the end, I'd like for manga to have an actual market here in the west. Once I get a job, I'll try to import the volumes I like, but I'll also buy the translated volumes.

Also, I like reading physical media, as well. I don't like reading scanlations partially because horizontal computer screens don't really mesh with the vertical pages of a book.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I like reading physical media, as well. I don't like reading scanlations partially because horizontal computer screens don't really mesh with the vertical pages of a book.

My screen is about 22"x14", large enough to hold an entire 4"x5.5" page of manga comfortably. The viewable image is not being stretched mangled because my screen is wider than a manga page. You might want to take up your problem with the monitor's manufacturer.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I also see you forgot to mention my little comment on how lentgh of a series has NO TIES with how the story is written. if you want to rate how well the story is then you have to see for yourself. I won't say some bullcrap like "Oh one piece is the greattest anime of all time" because it isn't, but what IS factual is that Oda took his time with the plot and writes it out decently well. its evident in the later portion of the first half when the things that were just throw away comments and characters that seemed pointless, showed up again and played a bigger role in the plot. not saying bringing a character back is a automatic sign of good writing, but its the coherency that keeps the story afloat.

The problem is, most of the One Piece fans come on here spouting stuff where the tl;dr summary is basically: "One Piece is awesome and so is Oda, so anything else just can't compare."

The thing is, One Piece is a shounen manga. It has a story and battles. Oda is a better-than-average storyteller, but he is constrained by the medium just like every other mangaka. Further, he is constrained by the audience he has to appeal to. If Bakuman even has a drop of truth to it, then you can easily see why this is the case. The thing I hate is how One Piece fans come off as if what it is doing is revolutionary. No. It is not. Goodness knows, I love Naruto, but as someone who reads a lot of books and novels, I can easily see just how shallow it is. One Piece is no exception. The storytelling is above average, perhaps even good. And there's nothing wrong with that, it is a product of the system. But being revolutionary? Give me a break.

That doesn't mean that I think Naruto should be taken off or One Piece, for that matter. I think Naruto has an above-average story just like One Piece does. I think there is still plenty of room for new story lines and adventure. Despite knowing it is shallow, I still enjoy it. I know I am not alone. It may not be as popular as One Piece, but you know what? I'm fine with that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I know that. What I meant was that I wanted manga to continue to e legally released in America, so I buy translated manga. The japanese execs get enough money from Japanese sales, and my purchase sti does get some money back to them.

In the end, I'd like for manga to have an actual market here in the west. Once I get a job, I'll try to import the volumes I like, but I'll also buy the translated volumes.

I completely understand the wanting or feeling of holding a book in your hands i don't have the space anymore so I am trying digital manga with viz. On the other series that I mentioned... well I do import some of them but knj is not something I want to risk importing through customs so reading the scans..is safer than a court case and having my computer taken away lol....aye

On subject it's been a weird kick off for this year all around, first of all back in jan media blasters cutting back to 3 people and bandai of america canceling all physical media here. Then mega-upload with other sharing sites have been yanked or blocked via 403 isp blocks, negima has ended as well. Now bleezle bub, bleach and gintama anime are over as well so.. for main stream anime fans.. it's a pretty damn hard blow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

The problem is, most of the One Piece fans come on here spouting stuff where the tl;dr summary is basically: "One Piece is awesome and so is Oda, so anything else just can't compare."

The thing is, One Piece is a shounen manga. It has a story and battles. Oda is a better-than-average storyteller, but he is constrained by the medium just like every other mangaka. Further, he is constrained by the audience he has to appeal to. If Bakuman even has a drop of truth to it, then you can easily see why this is the case. The thing I hate is how One Piece fans come off as if what it is doing is revolutionary. No. It is not. Goodness knows, I love Naruto, but as someone who reads a lot of books and novels, I can easily see just how shallow it is. One Piece is no exception. The storytelling is above average, perhaps even good. And there's nothing wrong with that, it is a product of the system. But being revolutionary? Give me a break.

That doesn't mean that I think Naruto should be taken off or One Piece, for that matter. I think Naruto has an above-average story just like One Piece does. I think there is still plenty of room for new story lines and adventure. Despite knowing it is shallow, I still enjoy it. I know I am not alone. It may not be as popular as One Piece, but you know what? I'm fine with that.

Agreed. Though I do have to say that it finds itself less constrained by the genre than it takes advantage of it in its stroytelling. God knows what happens when a shounen series' story gets confusing and fails to grip the audience any longer. The organization of the story arcs is easy to understand, the battles are given psychological meaning, and the constant comedy keeps you laughing and interested. But as you said, it's a shounen manga. To compare it to something like Pokemon just doesn't make sense. Different purposes, different circumstances, and both have different intended audiences, so the standards are different.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:

IMHO import the Japanese volume and read the scanlation. It's not like most people do more than read a volume once and put it on their shelf anyways.

You know who you're giving money to when you import manga, anime, a figurine, or a game? 90% of the time? The person SHIPPING it to you, not the actual publisher. You're not giving your money to the industry, you're giving it to an individual who's already purchased it and is simply making profit off of you.

Source: I run a store on Amazon, so I'm pretty familiar with how import outlets operate.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
... You know who you're giving money to when you import manga, anime, a figurine, or a game? 90% of the time? The person SHIPPING it to you, not the actual publisher. You're not giving your money to the industry, you're giving it to an individual who's already purchased it and is simply making profit off of you. ...

This reads as if it doesn't count if the publisher gets paid in advance and the reseller gets that advance refunded when they sell the item.

But of course it counts. If nobody buys those items, the reseller will stop buying them from the publisher, and so stop advancing the publisher money.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
aereus wrote:

IMHO import the Japanese volume and read the scanlation. It's not like most people do more than read a volume once and put it on their shelf anyways.

You know who you're giving money to when you import manga, anime, a figurine, or a game? 90% of the time? The person SHIPPING it to you, not the actual publisher. You're not giving your money to the industry, you're giving it to an individual who's already purchased it and is simply making profit off of you.

Source: I run a store on Amazon, so I'm pretty familiar with how import outlets operate.

Same goes with buying anything from any store.

With importing, I think aereus was talking about buying directly from stores in Japan, like Amazon or HMV or CDJapan, instead of buying it from a local shop that imports (either way...money goes back to the publisher in some fashion or another).
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I also see you forgot to mention my little comment on how lentgh of a series has NO TIES with how the story is written. if you want to rate how well the story is then you have to see for yourself. I won't say some bullcrap like "Oh one piece is the greattest anime of all time" because it isn't, but what IS factual is that Oda took his time with the plot and writes it out decently well. its evident in the later portion of the first half when the things that were just throw away comments and characters that seemed pointless, showed up again and played a bigger role in the plot. not saying bringing a character back is a automatic sign of good writing, but its the coherency that keeps the story afloat.

OK, I know its not revolotionary, I know full damn well there are other better story intricated anime and mangas out there, but I'm just giving oda his credit, he derserves it. the more I see how the story of a series is functioned I tend to have more respect for the mangaka, for example I respect Hiromu arakawa for creating a larger scale shonen series(yes its a shonen) and still making it fun to watch. Yoshihiro togashi, while yes he takes to many hiatuses, but what he writes in his work as a moral or philisical lesson is damn better than anything else in jump. In all Honesty, One piece, while I enjoy it is at the bottom of my own personal big three which goes like this: Beelzebub(manga only) is 1st, Hunter x Hunter is 2nd and One Piece is 3rd. I know there are alot of people who praise and overhype one piece already, but as long as I know in myself that there are better sereis and that once piece is just one of the above the norm ones, I could care less.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Endings: Yes! We fans have the right to demand a proper ending! There is no valid excuse for cop-outs and anything else that doesn't tie up loose ends! Some of the worst offenders: His & Her Circumstances, Inuyasha (Before Final Act premiered--why the long gap?), Highschool of the Dead, Fruits Basket, Air Master, Air Gear (25 episodes clearly wasn't enough), Trinity Blood (Just because the author of the novels died is no excuse for such a bad ending!), season 2 of Ai Yori Aoshi (THAT'S IT? THEY DON'T RESOLVE ANYTHING? J.C. STAFF COMMITTED A TERRIBLE CRIME!), Tokko, Odin: Starlight Mutiny, Flame of Recca, and Great Teacher Onizuka. We fans are entitled to a proper ending, not some cop-out that doesn't resolve anything!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, stick a fork in 'em, because those shows are done.

Just wanna mention that in the last Gintama episode, they had a note written by the anime studio at the end that was saying this isn't the end of the Gintama anime, and was suggesting it'll be back when theres more material.

So like I was saying, Gintama is far from gone. Its too successful to die now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11