• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Solicitations (Crunchyroll Solicitations: June 2022 & beyond)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
I have D Frag and Nobunagun, where's No-Rin? It's going to be joining the C Cubed club, isn't it?

Actually no, they confirmed some time ago that No-Rin would be getting a home video release. Now the big question is whether it'll be dubbed or not.
I would guess that it'll be dubbed, as it's largely an ecchi/comedy/harem series that doesn't center around a questionable fetish like OniAi did.

I had been hoping for an Anime Classics DVD/BD combo for Vampire Bund -- even though the show was on the border of the HD transition and the TV-rips were only worth 480p, it'd still be nice to have the BDs around for the future and stuff. At least the original release doesn't seem particularly scarce atm.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/07/25/black-lagoon-collectors-edition-announced-at-otakon-2015

The Black Lagoon Collector’s Edition
- Season 1 + Season 2 + Roberta’s Blood Trail OVA on Blu-ray
– over 13 hours of content
- Collectible “Ammo tin” chipboard box
- 60 page full-color art book
- Black Lagoon lighter
- Black Lagoon dog tags

Coming November 2015!

------

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/07/25/tokyo-ghoul-collectors-edition-revealed-at-otakon-2015

Tokyo Ghoul – Season One Collector’s Edition
- Complete Season 1 in Blu-ray/DVD Combo
- Fabric Poster
- 60-page art book
- 40-page blank journal
- 4 Art Cards

One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so I'll probably get Tokyo Ghoul CE because I like interesting packaging and the show had its moments. My only concern is whether that is a real digipack (with disc trays) or one of those cheapo-crapo card-stock packs that only has slots for the discs (you know like their Darker than Black BD or CB album packaging). I hate those paper slots--other companies (live-action) seem to be doing this as well and frankly it stinks. Here's hoping its a normal digi-pack. Picture shows it has 8 art cards (come on lets just call them postcards ok?), but description says 4? Typo?

Black Lagoon!? Seriously? You release a CE now? I had the show on DVD and then their BD and you expect me to triple dip? This version only seems to have the box and artbook (the DtB one was nice and large but a little underwhelming content wise) which will probably just recycle every piece of cover art they've used in the past 9 years (boo-hiss!). It would be nice if Funi copied some of the style of NISA’s books and included some text and character artwork then this might be called a CE. Cheap tin (or is it plastic?) dog tags does not make this a CE imho. Its not even a BD/DVD combo which is kind of lazy because if I was to buy this to replace my current combo I'd be actually losing stuff. Ok, I'm now irritated. Interestingly, it already has a Universal Logo on the packaging.

Huh, I can see it now "Ultimate Hellsing CE coming soon" and this time you will actually be able to fit the third part in the artbox. But it wont come with combo packs because its more special that way. /s
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Ghoul I'd never buy because it has no rewatchability and the Black Lagoon franchise I already own in the form of the steelbook sets which look way cooler than that set to me honestly.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Actually no, they confirmed some time ago that No-Rin would be getting a home video release. Now the big question is whether it'll be dubbed or not.

"Some time ago" describes when many of their potential physical releases were announced. Nobunagun and D Frag were both in the same season as No Rin but already came out split by several months and that time, combined with most known potential releases up to November, is already well past what I would call No Rin's "freshness" date. If they're contracted to release a DVD, it's not going to be much of one.

Plus, Funimation is beginning to get a bit more like Viz with each new "Collector's Edition" of old shows they do; repackaged nostalgia just isn't what I want from them.

What I want is their brand on new properties. Whether if it's old or new ones, I don't care. Five years ago, last year even, it wasn't a problem but now, they license so many things but just sit of them.

Funny to think that about 9 years ago, they were mostly just DBZ. Now they're trying to create a monopoly on dubbed streaming- no, they've created the market for it but it's not something that interests me, given its "pay to play" status. "You should be watching." It seems like something of a threat these days...

I'm not going to be for it until I can switch audio channels mid stream. Or is that horses?
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
via FUNimation Shop & TRSI:

Buddy Complex: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $54.98 - 375 minutes - 11/17/15 [sub only]
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115465
Quote:
Language: Japanese; Includes: Eps 1-15
Special Features: Promotional Videos, Blu-ray Commercials, Final Act Commercials, Final Act Promotional Video, Textless Opening Song "UNISONIA", Textless Closing Song "Ano Sora ni Kaeru Mirai de (In the Future that Leads Back to that Sky)", U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Danganronpa the Animated Series: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 335 minutes - $64.98 - 11/10/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115463
Quote:
Special Features: Episode 1 Commentary, Textless Openings, Textless Closings, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Danganronpa the Animated Series: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - 335 minutes - $69.98 - 11/10/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115462
Quote:
Special Features: Exclusive Collectible Chipboard Box with Foil Printing, Episode 1 Commentary, Textless Openings, Textless Closings, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Dragonar Academy: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 300 minutes - $64.98 - 11/24/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115468
Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, Commercials, Promotional Videos, Textless Opening, Textless Closing, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Dragonar Academy: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - 300 minutes - $69.98 - 11/24/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115467
Quote:
Special Features: Exclusive Collectible Box with 6 Art Cards, Episode Commentaries, Commercials, Promotional Videos, Textless Opening, Textless Closing, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Eureka Seven AO: Complete Collection (DVD) (S.A.V.E. Edition) - 640 minutes? - $29.98 - 11/24/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115470
Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, Commercials, Inside the Booth, Textless Songs, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Eureka Seven AO: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) (S.A.V.E. Edition) - 640 minutes? - $34.98 - 11/24/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115469
Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, Commercials, Inside the Booth, Textless Songs, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Fafner (TV & Movie): Complete Collection (DVD) (S.A.V.E. Edition) - 745 minutes - $24.98 - 11/3/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115459
Quote:
Special Features: Making of Fafner, Promotional Videos, Commercials, Textless Songs, Trailers, Actor Commentary

Fafner (TV & Movie): Complete Collection (Blu-ray) (S.A.V.E. Edition) - 745 minutes - $29.98 - 11/3/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115458
Quote:
Special Features: Making of Fafner, Promotional Videos, Commercials, Textless Songs, Trailers, Actor Commentary

Fairy Tail: Collection 5 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 600 minutes - $54.98 - 11/3/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115460
Quote:
Special Features: pisode 97 Commentary, Episode 99 Video Commentary, Episode 107 Commentary, Episode 109 Commentary, Episode 119 Commentary, Marketing a Fairy Tail, Textless Songs, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Good Luck Girl!: Complete Collection (DVD) (S.A.V.E. Edition) - 325 minutes - $29.98 - 11/24/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115466
Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, Episode 08 Video Commentary, Textless Opening Song "Make My Day!", U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Noein - to your other self: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $64.98 - 600 minutes - 11/24/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115472
Quote:
Special Features: On Location with Haruka Kudo and Director Akane, NOEIN Art Edition, Episode 24 Commentary, Promotional Videos, Commercial Collection, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Noein - to your other self: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - $84.98 - 600 minutes - 11/24/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115471
Quote:
Special Features: Exclusive Collectible Chipboard Box with Foil Print, On Location with Haruka Kudo and Director Akane, NOEIN Art Edition, Episode 24 Commentary, Promotional Videos, Commercial Collection, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

One Piece: Collection 14 - 600 minutes - $34.98 - 11/10/15
- http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=115464
Quote:
Special Features: Episode 326 Commentary, Episode 335 Commentary, Episode 338 Commentary, Episode 348 Commentary, One Piece in the Booth: with Luci Christian, One Piece in the Booth: with Stephanie Young, Textless Opening Song "Crazy Rainbow", Textless Opening Song "Jungle P", Trailers

Last edited by WTK on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the Noein LE is $20 more than the standard edition. From the listing the only difference is the chipboard box with a foil print. Normally the LE with a chipboard box is only $5 different. The foil print must be almost as expensive to make as it is to care for.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Buddy Complex? I think they should have sent that straight to save or just left it streaming, ugh.

Fafner went from standard release to SAVE? Ouch must not have done well and they are including the movie too.

Noein is something like 10 years old, interesting that they are giving it an LE. But yea if there is a funi sale on RS I'd probably pick it up. Lots of stuff being released at the end of the year, wouldn't be surprised if something else pops up. Oh, boy its going to be expensive for me the next 4 months.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Wow, the Noein LE is $20 more than the standard edition. From the listing the only difference is the chipboard box with a foil print.

Good on Funimation if this trend continues. I don't get why they only charge $5 more for their LE's. I know that it is only a chipboard box and, most likely, an extra BD case, but companies should get all the money they can.

To me it would make sense for Funimation to make their standard, one cour BD/DVD combos $70 MSRP and price their LE's (with the chipboard box and a booklet) at $90 MSRP.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Wow, the Noein LE is $20 more than the standard edition. From the listing the only difference is the chipboard box with a foil print.

Good on Funimation if this trend continues. I don't get why they only charge $5 more for their LE's. I know that it is only a chipboard box and, most likely, an extra BD case, but companies should get all the money they can.

To me it would make sense for Funimation to make their standard, one cour BD/DVD combos $70 MSRP and price their LE's (with the chipboard box and a booklet) at $90 MSRP.
Do you work for Funimation? Confused
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Do you work for Funimation? Confused

No. Funimation and Sentai (the two biggest N.A. anime distributors) sell anime at very cheap prices. I have wondered for years if they are making enough money to sustain themselves.

Offering pricier collector's editions to generate bigger profits is a great idea, but I would not mind it if in the coming 2-3 years they increased the MSRP of their products 30-35% across the board. This will become especially important if indeed the cost of licensing has increased significantly in the last 2 years.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
@angelmcazares

I think it is best to leave such decisions up to the companies in question. Sentai in particular should be aware of the dangers of paying too much for a license. While prices may have to rise in the future, sufficient unto the day the evil thereof. If they want sell anime cheaply, I for one will be happy and assume they know what they are doing.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45

Fair enough. These are just some of my thoughts on anime prices. Companies should know better than fans how to manage their businesses.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Shame to see a lack of the dub outtakes on the Noein release. I'm still going to buy it anyway, since I really like that series, one of my favs. But damn, guess I'm keeping my original set too. Waiting for it to get listed on rightstuf though.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Fafner went from standard release to SAVE? Ouch must not have done well and they are including the movie too.
The first release could be considered an Anime Classics release that wasn't labeled that way, given that it's a license rescue of an older show. I am tempted by that Blu-Ray SAVE collection to supplement my old Geneon DVDs, even if it means an getting an extra BD copy of the movie.

And just a random observation -- as far as I can tell, Funimation is the only long-time licensee that has never had one of their initial licenses pass to another company. The only things that come close are Aniplex having BD rights to Baccano! while Funi retained their DVD rights, and Familiar of Zero and Higurashi getting picked up by Sentai, but of course those last two were Geneon titles to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 46