• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive: Funimation Launches Kickstarter to Dub Escaflowne TV Anime Director's Cut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
I've backed many things on Kickstarter and always lower tier items are given with higher tiers. Not making different tiers exclusive. It's pure nonsense.

Either this one's worded extremely strangely, or you're actually wrong.

There are 3 different releases of the series that they're offering.

1) 2 half-series sets, which will go to retail

2) 2 half-series sets, Part 1 of which comes with a Kickstarter-exclusive chipboard box that will hold both sets.

3) A Collector's Edition set, which is the entire series, plus the movie, an artbook, and a DVD set with the original dub.

It's made clear in the lower tiers that you're getting #2, the 2 half-sets with the chipboard box. But once you hit the $175 tier, it changes to the Collector's Edition set, and the chipboard box (which wouldn't be needed, as you have a different box for the CE) is never again mentioned.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
j Talbain wrote:
I've backed many things on Kickstarter and always lower tier items are given with higher tiers. Not making different tiers exclusive. It's pure nonsense.

2) 2 half-series sets, Part 1 of which comes with a Kickstarter-exclusive chipboard box that will hold both sets.

3) A Collector's Edition set, which is the entire series, plus the movie, an artbook, and a DVD set with the original dub.

It's made clear in the lower tiers that you're getting #2, the 2 half-sets with the chipboard box. But once you hit the $175 tier, it changes to the Collector's Edition set, and the chipboard box (which wouldn't be needed, as you have a different box for the CE) is never again mentioned.

The issue is there is stuff I want in both the lower and higher tier. I do want the exclusive Kickstarter box because it's exclusive.

But then I also want the art book and exclusive item in the $175 set. And I wouldn't mind getting 2 boxes. Actually it would have been nice if you could fit the Kickstarter box somehow in the CE box. That would have been ideal.

But the way Funi did this I just pledged $65 dollars now I'll get the Kickstarter Box. But I'll buy the CE box on retail (note it doesn't say it's exclusive). I'll probably just miss out on the bonus item but I'm more concerned with the art book honestly. I would have pledged more but it's dumb when I will have to double dip later.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm passing on this bigtime-already preordered Anime Limited's set. I like their approach much better.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
j Talbain wrote:

For $65, backers will get a KS-exclusive chipboard box, a KS-exclusive poster, and KS-exclusive art cards.

For $175, backers will be getting exactly what retail buyers will be able to purchase down the line, and retail buyers will be able to get it for considerably less given Funi's typical pricing and sales/discounts. Even the "exclusive" bonus item has now been clarified to be included with the eventual retail release as well. There's literally nothing exclusive to the people willing to pay $110+ over the $65-tier.

It's absurd, and not how to please high-tier backers for a campaign. I originally pledged $200, and I'm thinking of either dropping it down to the $65-tier, or maybe dropping it entirely and just picking up the CE down the line for probably half the cost. I never touch dubs, and was backing this due to my love for Escaflowne, desire to get the BDs, and for some nice exclusive packaging and swag. If they don't fix these tier rewards, I can easily fulfill those reasons by paying a helluva lot less.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Just preordered the Anime Limited set and it came out at $150 at current exchange rates-done deal. As for the beautiful ost-I already have it.

Last edited by zrdb on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
^ Only $125 gets the poster and exclusive box. $65 gets the exclusive box.

$175 gets the retail collectors editions which will come with the Art Book & Ocean Dub & yes surprisingly even the exclusive item.

Anyways there have been a lot of complaints about this so I am hoping Funimation will reconsider this. You can change your pledge up to the end of the campaign. It's possible the CE will retail for a lot more than people are thinking but for now I'll stick to my $65 pledge and buy the CE at retail. That's the only way to get everything I want.

But I like that Funimation clarified quickly and honestly. I'll give them credit for that.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
^ Ah, right. But that extra $60 is mostly going into the 2nd half of the set, which most fans of Escaflowne would certainly be buying anyway (at a discount outside of the KS, probably).

Still, bleh. There's already a lot of people questioning their tier decisions on the KS comments, so hopefully Funi will do something to better reward the higher backers. (If anyone here was also planning on backing big and troubled by their decisions, I'd recommend you also make your voice heard here)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
LOL Poor Ocean. This is the third time their work has been replaced/redone by FUNimation, and they continue to get no work to boot. It's a shame because they did some of the best anime dubs of all time. I'm open to a new dub for Escaflowne, and I support the idea of funding more through Kickstarter, but I would've personally rather them just cut the extra scenes out from the dub through seamless branching and call it a day. Cut scenes aside, the Ocean dub is really good.

I can understand them doing a Kickstarter for this though. I know it's an iconic show, but I don't think it would do Sailor Moon numbers, and I'm still even a little surprised Viz was willing to do a whole new dub of THAT.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation can commission character designer Nobuteru Yuuki to do new package illustration, then I might pledge.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

The DC scenes are really just casual conversations and alternate takes on scenes. They aren't as plot relevant as much as you're implying. You still know they happened, just after the fact.

The one that sticks to me the most is where Hitomi's mom explains why she isn't particularly concerned about Hitomi's disappearance, and that her own mother had had something similar happen to her in the past, and that that was the origin of the pendant.

Sure, we find out the rest of that later, but that is the only time that Hitomi's mother's behavior and attitude is explained. It seems very odd without that scene. I remember the first time I watched it was the edited version and that didn't make sense to me.
cheapassgamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
^ Only $125 gets the poster and exclusive box. $65 gets the exclusive box.

$175 gets the retail collectors editions which will come with the Art Book & Ocean Dub & yes surprisingly even the exclusive item.

Anyways there have been a lot of complaints about this so I am hoping Funimation will reconsider this. You can change your pledge up to the end of the campaign. It's possible the CE will retail for a lot more than people are thinking but for now I'll stick to my $65 pledge and buy the CE at retail. That's the only way to get everything I want.

But I like that Funimation clarified quickly and honestly. I'll give them credit for that.

lol, it's funimation... you'll be able to get the collector's edition for less than $100 easily during any Amazon/Rightstuf/whatever sale.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Dubbed or not, I'm still psyched to see Escaflowne on Blu-ray, and a director's cut at that. Escaflowne was the first TV anime I saw in its entirety, having rented it on VHS back in 1999. I still consider it one of my all-time favorites.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Cut scenes aside, the Ocean dub is really good.

No it isn't. It was stiffly acted and bland. This is considered one of the worst dubs of all time for a reason. The dub affects the quality of the show in a perverse manner. That's how bad it is. The dub is objectively bad.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
LOL Poor Ocean. This is the third time their work has been replaced/redone by FUNimation, and they continue to get no work to boot. It's a shame because they did some of the best anime dubs of all time. I'm open to a new dub for Escaflowne, and I support the idea of funding more through Kickstarter, but I would've personally rather them just cut the extra scenes out from the dub through seamless branching and call it a day. Cut scenes aside, the Ocean dub is really good.

I can understand them doing a Kickstarter for this though. I know it's an iconic show, but I don't think it would do Sailor Moon numbers, and I'm still even a little surprised Viz was willing to do a whole new dub of THAT.

I like the Ocean dub too.

I wonder if we go far enough over the target, Funimation would be open to dubbing the songs as well.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Cut scenes aside, the Ocean dub is really good.

No it isn't. It was stiffly acted and bland. This is considered one of the worst dubs of all time for a reason. The dub affects the quality of the show in a perverse manner. That's how bad it is. The dub is objectively bad.

What planet do you live on?
You're implying objectivity when it's really subjective.

It's nowhere near as bad as stuff like Apocalypse Zero and in general, a lot of 90s OVA dubs. As much as I as love it for the cast novelty alone, the Zeorymer dub is easily way worse too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12