• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Steroid wrote:
To answer your question, why are bird-species such big deals to an anime fan, it's the same reason that species are big deals to taxonomists and biologists: it's one more fact, one more bit of truth, added to the store of knowledge.
Expect that most anime fans aren't taxonomists or biologists or at least I've never met one before. Whether the bird is a parakeet or not, it's unimportant to the plot whereas the rant seems to exaggerate its importance and tries to make Bleach appear to be as butchered as a 4Kids dub. I think the point trying to be made is that while it's an annoying change, whether you call it a parakeet or not, it doesn't affect the plot in anyway, so who really cares? There are other more important things to worry about, aren't there? And I find it amusing that the ranter makes a big deal about Viz getting the name of a bird wrong but doesn't even point out all the typos, inconsistent name spellings, and misplaced word speech bubbles that are frequent in the FMA manga. I think that's a far more pressing issue given how much they reoccur in the series and I think it would've made a stronger case for their rant than complaining about what a cartoon bird is called.

Um, I didn't say anything about Viz getting the name of the bird wrong... I for one don't care about that... and sadly, I'm very far behind on reading FMA. Besides, as far as I can tell, I've seen errors from every publisher, in which they put the wrong text in the wrong bubbles, or the same text in different bubbles on two different pages. As for inconsistent name spellings, some of those are just typos, that happens to everyone. I was referring to common practices, not nit-picking all the little errors they make.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Seriously though, please try and link them because I still have no clue how I got from each field to the other Embarassed

In fact, I can even link them altogether to a manga and its live-action adaption.

(Why hasn't it been submitted and I have to add all of them personally? Terasawa's manga is popular not only in Japan but throughout East Asia)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10