• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The fact that they are side stories does nothing to invalidate their relevance to asessing the characters and the story's merits.

When the side stories (flashbacks aside) are nothing like the actual content of the novels than how are they relevant? Here's how the conversation has gone.

You "Starts out good but it's not going to stay like this because I read the manga"
Me "Manga isn't like the novels in terms of story"
You "Nuh uh"
Me "/facepalm"

Quote:
Typical shounen. There's eventually a harem for God's sakes.

Oh no not a harem! :roll: Now take out the ones who aren't serious, it's called a triangle.

Quote:
Not preposterous. Typical. If I had the time I could probably get you a dozen other anime that rely on the same character archetypes >.>

I thought my sarcasm implied that I would know dozens of similar archetypes.

Quote:
I'm not insulting you. I'm discussing merits of a cartoon. You're acting silly here.

Where did I give the impression that I thought you were?
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The thing I find the most amusing out of this whole discussion, aside from the fact that people complain that the reviews are both too diverse and too similar, is that the usual legion of ANN anti-fansub crusaders seem to be absent. One would think they would nay miss a chance to vehemently state how the watching of any fansub is evil and punishable by death!
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
The thing I find the most amusing out of this whole discussion, aside from the fact that people complain that the reviews are both too diverse and too similar, is that the usual legion of ANN anti-fansub crusaders seem to be absent. One would think they would nay miss a chance to vehemently state how the watching of any fansub is evil and punishable by death!

Zac already pointed out that Fansub hatzoring is his position and not the entire staffs' position.

If anything, the one thing I find amusing is how much people are willing trash talk about the previews. It's such a completely different response than you see on any anime blog. Maybe people are expecting more ANN than they do from blogs O-o

Kinda weird considering this is the format everyone asked for the last time around =\

On that note, I think they did a great job this time and was gratified to see skew of reviews by Key, who generally out of the entire staff is the only reviewer I agree with O_o;;
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

If anything, the one thing I find amusing is how much people are willing trash talk about the previews. It's such a completely different response than you see on any anime blog. Maybe people are expecting more ANN than they do from blogs O-o

I think it's a semantics issue. Some people are expecting reviews, other people are expecting something more objective.

When I hear the word "preview," I tend to side with the latter--more summation rather than criticism.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Time for some really MEAN* numbers:

• Allison and Lillia (4.0)

• Blassreiter (2.5)
    Ep 2 (3.5)
  • Bus Gamer (3.0)
    Ep 2 (2.5)
  • Chi's Sweet Home (3.0)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (3.0)
    Ep 2 (3.0)
  • Kamen no MAID GUY (2.5)
  • Kanokon (1.5)
    Ep 2 (1.5)
  • Kure-nai (4.0)
    Ep 2 (3.5)
  • Kyou Kara Mou! Season 3 (2.5)
  • Kyouran Kazoku Nikki (3.0)

• Golgo 13 (2.5)
  • Itazura na KISS (3.0)
    Ep 2 (4.0)
  • Macross Frontier (4.0)
    Ep 2 (4.5)
  • Nabari no Ou (3.5)
  • Neo Angelique ~ABYSS~ (1.5)

• SPECIAL A (S.A.) (3.0)
  • Soul Eater (3.0)
  • To Love-ru (2.5)
    Ep 2 (2.0)
  • The Tower of Druaga (3.0)
  • Vampire Knight (3.0)
  • Wagaya no Oinara-sama (3.0)
  • xxxHOLiC: Rei (4.0)
    Ep 2 (3.5)
  • Zettai Karen Children (2.5)

*Rounded down to halves; not responsible for silly math jokes or lack of any other types of averages (yes I know this means one person can skew it).

Edit: updates

Last edited by TiredGamer on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Houlgrave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmn, nobody has mentioned Amatsuki yet I see. Very nice transition from manga----> anime. Not quite on par with either Macross Frontier or Kura-nai, but it's heads and tails above Vampire Knight and Soul Eater. :/

Things are looking up; both the Fall and Winter 2007 failed to bring even a dozen decent shows to the table, but Spring 2008 seems to be interesting indeed! Very Happy

Nice reviews btw.
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Quote:
The fact that they are side stories does nothing to invalidate their relevance to asessing the characters and the story's merits.

When the side stories (flashbacks aside) are nothing like the actual content of the novels than how are they relevant? Here's how the conversation has gone.

You "Starts out good but it's not going to stay like this because I read the manga"
Me "Manga isn't like the novels in terms of story"
You "Nuh uh"
Me "/facepalm"
They're written by the same bloody author o,o

He wouldn't write them if there wasn't an intention to go in that direction. That's like saying the data books for bleach are irrelevant to the story.

Quote:

Quote:
Typical shounen. There's eventually a harem for God's sakes.

Oh no not a harem! Rolling Eyes Now take out the ones who aren't serious, it's called a triangle.

Pfft. By that standard you could barely even call Love Hina a harem anime >.>

Quote:

Quote:
Not preposterous. Typical. If I had the time I could probably get you a dozen other anime that rely on the same character archetypes >.>

I thought my sarcasm implied that I would know dozens of similar archetypes.

I suppose I should've added H-game adaptation in there.

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not insulting you. I'm discussing merits of a cartoon. You're acting silly here.

Where did I give the impression that I thought you were?
[/quote]

Most of the time when people get to the point when they start using sarcasm and a derisive tone they tend to be emotionally attached to the topic of discussion. You've been acting offended if not insulted >.>

Meh I'm done here. I'm not going be watching much more of it and you're free to like it as much as you want. No need to discuss it anymore >.>

Houlgrave wrote:
Hmn, nobody has mentioned Amatsuki yet I see. Very nice transition from manga----> anime. Not quite on par with either Macross Frontier or Kura-nai, but it's heads and tails above Vampire Knight and Soul Eater. :/

Things are looking up; both the Fall and Winter 2007 failed to bring even a dozen decent shows to the table, but Spring 2008 seems to be interesting indeed! Very Happy

Nice reviews btw.

My guess would be that it's because the subs only just came out today.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They're written by the same bloody author o,o

He wouldn't write them if there wasn't an intention to go in that direction. That's like saying the data books for bleach are irrelevant to the story.

You're hopeless, people who have actually read the novels say they consist of one long arc, is the manga one long arc? Why would Shouji write comedic side stories for FMP if is going to end dramatically, it doesn't make sense according to your logic!

Quote:
Most of the time when people get to the point when they start using sarcasm and a derisive tone they tend to be emotionally attached to the topic of discussion. You've been acting offended if not insulted >.>

So if you say the Lakers suck and I call you an idiot I'm emotionally attacked to the Lakers even though I'm a Miami Heat fan? There's a difference between pointing out the obvious and getting offended, learn it. As for the sarcasm you said something that deserved a sarcastic response. Do you always try to shift the argument onto something else when you're not winning?
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
As much as it amuses me to watch Westlo make mincemeat of babbo, I hope that was the last of it. You guys have been at it for more than a whole page of this forum and I think it's pretty obvious that you're not approaching a mutual understanding here. Confused
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
Those who know me here know my stance about fansubs and I've had my discussions with staff about their usage here in the past, but I'm just a member and have no control over what goes on at ANN. I'd rather they were actually in Japan watching their TV and writing and posting reports from there, but fumaerukaifu, c'est la vie, I read the previews under protest, that's the best I can do. I've never said it should be "punishable by death". I just said it is morally and ethically indefensible. I've left agreement up to one's integrity of conscience. No more should be said on the matter here.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
calawain wrote:
Those who know me here know my stance about fansubs and I've had my discussions with staff about their usage here in the past, but I'm just a member and have no control over what goes on at ANN. I'd rather they were actually in Japan watching their TV and writing and posting reports from there, but fumaerukaifu, c'est la vie, I read the previews under protest, that's the best I can do. I've never said it should be "punishable by death". I just said it is morally and ethically indefensible. I've left agreement up to one's integrity of conscience. No more should be said on the matter here.

Well, I'm in Japan, have been watching them on TV, and wholeheartedly say "I agree with the reviews and everything said in all of them".

Now you can read them without worrying about moral issues Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Well, I'm in Japan, have been watching them on TV, and wholeheartedly say "I agree with the reviews and everything said in all of them".

I'm afraid I don't see the link between morallity, and editorial correctness.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

All you have to do is consider all the reviews as nothing more than reflecting MY opinion, instead of the authors, and then you are reading the opinion of someone who legally and without moral ambiguity watched the shows.
Or at least that's what I was going at.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
All you have to do is consider all the reviews as nothing more than reflecting MY opinion, instead of the authors, and then you are reading the opinion of someone who legally and without moral ambiguity watched the shows.
You mean like a sort of moral legaliser? I could except that, but only if they have put the caveate at the end saying something like "these reviews have been submitted with the approval of samuelp, who guarantees their moral, ethical usage and editorial correctness", and includes your true name and contact details should anyone involved wish to contest your authority to do so. Wink
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Nevertheless, this doesn't really change the fact that the source of the information being read is derived from viewing fansubs, so that's a difficult disassociation to make.

The fact of the matter is, though, that without these fansubs it would be difficult if not impossible for ANN to offer an effective season preview. Of course legally provided review material would be preferable, but because they are currently lacking somewhat, fansubs are the only means by which ANN reviewers can stay up to date on anime being aired in Japan.

Anyway, not trying to incite a flame war here either, so I'll stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13