• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Swim Gauges Interest in Bringing Back Toonami

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Don't forget shows like Shugo Chara, Inazuma Eleven, and Jewelpet. Heck, if we're lucky, maybe they'll consider airing Digimon since Disney supposedly lost the rights...or even Hamtaro! GOD they BETTER bring back Hamtaro!!!

And yeah, bring Toonami back please.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
I had a discussion about this with a friend (who also wants the block back), and we ended up deciding a few things.

-It needs both new and old shows. Old to capture the nostalgia, new to keep people watching and keep the interested.

-Even if it runs only one night (probably Saturdays), it'd need a set of shows okay for the younger crowd, and another set for us old folks who grew up with the block.

-Putting episodes online.

And then the tough question of what to air came into play. Finding dubbed anime from the last 3-5 years owned by a company that's still around is tough. Since [as] showed Durarara, maybe Baccano. Something like Angel Beats might do well, or the newer Slayers series.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'll admit, I was quite happy to see Tom again after nearly what, eight or so years, but times have changed with anime. I've only been watching Bleach with AS for the last six or so years and that has really been the only anime I've only watched on TV in a long time as well.

Was quite fun to see to Dragon Ball Z (the Cell saga) on TV as well, as for me, it's been well over 10 years since I last saw that.

Looking back, I had a feeling this might be a Aprils Fools joke, but considering Toonami shut down in 2008, I was more confused than anything to be honest.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
Teletoon Retro (In Canada) Needs to get on playing some old Anime. Or we need YTV to start getting anime back. I'm sick of not having anything airing here in Canada except Pokeman's and BeyBlade! Mad
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Forget TV. Revive Toonami as a streaming service. I'd watch that. You could even throw on the AS original shows and I might actually give them a look.

(Ok, so maybe I don't have cable and couldn't watch it on TV even if I wanted. Still! Wave of the future and all that.)
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
OK time for me to put in my two cents.

Personally I think if there were any time to bring back Toonami, it would be now. Since the networks last re-brand in 2010, they have only been improving. Brining to the table smash hit comedies like Adventure Time & Regular show. As well as The Amazing world of Gumball and of course the modern Loony Tunes & Scooby Doo series.

On the action side we have gotten series like Geneartor Rex, Sym-Bionic Titan, and more recently Thundercats, Young Justice & Green Lantern. On top of all that Cartoon Network recently brought back its Cartoon Planet block an hour long showcase of classic cartoon cartoons hosted by Brak & Zorak of SGCTC & "The Brak Show" Fame.

So yeah it would only make sense for CN/AS to bring Toonami back at this point imo. It could also be a way for companies and legal streaming sites to get some advertisement on a more widely avalible TV network.

And in closing, all the people saying negative things about the network in your post, i'm guessing even back in the day you probably only watched it for Toonami, but really its not a bad network at all, and heck its a hella lot better then the Disney & Nick networks are at the moment. (heck its alot better off then alot of networks that were popular in the 90's that have since become utter garbage.) But thats just my 2 cents. So yeah.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Forget TV. Revive Toonami as a streaming service. I'd watch that. You could even throw on the AS original shows and I might actually give them a look.

(Ok, so maybe I don't have cable and couldn't watch it on TV even if I wanted. Still! Wave of the future and all that.)
Streaming the linear channel would definitely be a good idea, even if it were only on Roku. I can't image the costs of that would outweigh the extra viewership.
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I'd love to see Toonami come back. As for what to air, I'd like to see newer anime aimed at kids.

- Beast Player Erin
- Hunter X Hunter 2011
- One Piece
- Pretty Cure

...and so on.
The only way you're getting Pretty Cure onto TV is during the day with the names changed(and as long as they're not as stupid as Blackstone and Whitehouse, I'm fine with that). I'm fairly sure the only reason Funimation ever got One Piece was that it was still being televised at the time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:

Wasn't there a streaming service with CN years ago and didn't that ultimately fall apart?

I remember CN tried that with MAR and Eyeshield 21 and that didn't pan out really well.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
All I have left to say that if Toonami does comeback and they wanna get those old Bandai shows they had, they better hop on the chance to make a contract before Bandai is completly gone (and not just gone in the sense that they are no longer acquiring new anime.)

But yeah heres hoping that if it does come back they can get a decent line-up of newer & classic action toons & anime. Really hoping they would put re-runs of the new Thundercats on there since CN is having trouble finding a good timeslot to air it.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
oh man, I hate that I missed this, why didn't I decide to tune in to see what Adult Swim's April Fools prank would be? why? why? WHY? Mad this really bums me out Crying or Very sad

but regardless this is still excellent news, but let me get this straight, are they talking about resurrecting the kid's version of Toonami in the evenings, or are they talking about resurrecting Toonami as a late night block on Saturday? because I got to be honest, at 22 years old I don't really have much interest in watching heavily edited anime intercut with commercials for toys and breakfast cereals

but if it was a late night block I would definitely check it out, I love that idea!

man, Adult Swim used to be my bread and butter for anime for years, but when they started messing with Code Geass' timeslot coupled with what I sensed as an actively hostile attitude towards anime in 2008, I stopped watching Adult Swim for good (save for The Venture Brothers) and like I said, I had been religiously watching anime on Adult Swim for YEARS up until that point, I did not make that decision lightly

but this April Fools special man, it warms the cockles of my heart, it really seems to me like this is Adult Swims way of trying to make peace with anime fans, their way saying "hey guys, we haven't forgotten about anime", we'll just have to wait and see what comes of this
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wasn't there a streaming service with CN years ago and didn't that ultimately fall apart?

I remember CN tried that with MAR and Eyeshield 21 and that didn't pan out really well.

Toonami Jetstream. It managed to outlive the Toonami cancellation until January 2009 and it had MAR, Prince of Tennis, Hikaru no Go, Magas XLR, Kiba, Naruto, Zatch Bell, Saurai Jack at one point, it even aired the 2nd and 3rd Naruto films along with a few interviews. I actually would know this since I payed mind to the streaming in mid-2008 I think, until it shut down.

Anyway, I don't know what good this'll do, but I'd rather wait-and-see what the ratings were for that night if it's going to be shown at all. That'll be when I know what to think about all of this.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
@JOE: It's Adult Swim asking people want a revivial or not, so odds are it would take the place of the Current Saturday Night Adult Swim broadcast, er that is to say it would be TOM on Adult Swim instead of regular CN, so more like the old Midnight Run.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
I mean, its cool and all they are considering bringing it back... but would any of us actually watch it? All they'd do is put outdated anime dubs that you would have seen already at this point if you were interested in the show.

Toonami was great for its time, because it allowed us to watch anime at a time it wasn't readily accessible... but that time has passed.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
and while we're on the subject, I've always thought that they missed a HUGE opportunity by not playing the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya back when it was a hot property, their explanation for that was "it's not an action show", that was a dumb, dumb decision

really, I think two things that contributed to anime on Adult Swim's downfall was not only their stubborn insistence on playing only action anime (even though they themselves had already broken that rule with Super Milk Chan), but also their hesitance to play any anime with any amount of fan-service, Mai Hime in particular felt like a show that was practically made for Adult Swim, but due to the sexy ladies (even though it really wasn't that bad at all) it never got played on there
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I mean, its cool and all they are considering bringing it back... but would any of us actually watch it? All they'd do is put outdated anime dubs that you would have seen already at this point if you were interested in the show.

Toonami was great for its time, because it allowed us to watch anime at a time it wasn't readily accessible... but that time has passed.

Sure they'd air some old stuff for Nostalgia, but they would obviously get new programs as well, on top of continuing to air new episodes of Bleach, theirs countless titles they could pick up from Funimation, VIZ, Media Blasters, etc. And Toonami could still be a good way to get people into anime, ecspeically the younger AS viewers (c'mon we all know theres kids that did the same thing we did and stay up late to watch Adult Swim, even if there parents tell them not to.)

IMO Good TV & Good TV blocks don't have experation dates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16