• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Announces Shangri-la English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
Funimation has gotten really burned in the past by announcing shows as soon as the ink dried, only to deal with complaining as shows would take a year, and sometimes two, to finally come out. With the exception of SOME simulcasts, it seems they have been waiting longer to make announcements so it doesn't seem like their shows are taking so long to come out. I think they took a page from the Sentai book and the positive responses to what seems to be rapid turn around, even though they likely take just about as long to produce a show.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
This does seem pretty quick for an announcements. However me thinks they already had the dub cast picked for some time before the announcement that Funimation had licensed the show.

I imagine that they dubbed the show thing already if not at least the first half of the show by now. According to Greg Ayres at a panel he did in 2010 (and you don't have to listen to the whole thing either. The part I refer to is only up until the first 2-in-a-half minutes of that video), Funimation usually has a dub for a show finished as soon as it's announced. Though it seems to depend on whatever kind of production push and I guess whatever kind of marketing push or licensing hiccup or something in terms of when a show is dubbed and ready to be released.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:53 am; edited 2 times in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
This does seem pretty quick for an announcements. However me thinks they already had the dub cast picked for some time before the announcement that Funimation had licensed the show.

I imagine that it they dubbed the show thing already if not at least the first half of the show by now. According to Greg Ayres at a panel he did in 2010 (and you don't have to listen to the whole thing either. The part I refer to is only up until the first 2-in-a-half minutes of that video), Funimation usually has a dub for a show finished as soon as it's pronounced. Though it seems to depend on whatever kind of production push and I guess whatever kind of marketing push or licensing hiccup or something in terms of when a show is dubbed and ready to be released.

That is a possibility that they already it dubbed some of it. Of course I am not an insider (if I was I would say anything) but just a thought that popped into my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
mrdarkrai wrote:
I just don't get the hate, its one of my rogue favs.

Good on them for grabbing it and dubbing it.

Same here, it doesn't deserve the hate.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow... Funi's got guts. This show failed miserably in Japan, and honestly, I doubt it will do anything in the USA. It's just... not that good. Maybe it was a package deal.

This, I remember trying to watch it back when it aired...it was just not good. I can't help but feel no matter what funi is making a huge blunder but I've felt this way about them for the longest time now.

Each to their own. I loved the show, not the greatest thing on Earth, but I was hoping it would be picked up and now it is going to be dubbed.
Nothing personal, but I am hoping you are wrong about it being a Funimation blunder.

Seems to be a lot of support on this thread for it, so got my fingers crossed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
I liked Shangri-la, too. Especially the visuals. I expect they will look pretty mouth-watering.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, someone licensed this? While I didn't watch it myself, I remember it getting slammed by just about everyone. If Funi intends to turn profit... the outlook is bleak.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
This announcement of the English dub cast was indeed very swift for Funimation considering they have yet to announce the English dub casts for Deadman Wonderland,C Control and Fractale which they have had the rights to these shows for close to a year now!

Well, they might have to wait if the Japanese licensor wants the Japanese DVDs/BRs of those shows to be available for a while before they're available in NA (all those annoying "reverse import" fears). Shangri-La, on the other hand, aired 3 years ago, so that's probably not an issue and FUNimation can being work on it as soon as they want.
Mimi The Freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Anastasia Munoz as Sayoko?

Feces just became reality.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I too am somewhat suprised by how quickly Funimation got the cast list out for this show. But as said odds are they have already had it planned out for awhile, if not dubbed.

Any who looking forward to checking the show out. Seems to be one of those shows people either mildly enjoy or just go "Meh", lol.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I liked Shangri-la, too. Especially the visuals. I expect they will look pretty mouth-watering.

This. I can't wait to finally own this and see the visuals on a real home release. Smile

Edit: The awesome soundtrack will sound even better too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2