• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Nyu Age

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Maybe for western gamers but the psp is still doing quite well in Japan and is still getting games developed for it right and left "no matter if they are visual novel tie ins or not to tv anime that air"

Which perfectly explains why there would be PSP JRPGs to license, but not enough western fans to support a deluxe release.

In all honesty it would be best at this point if america developers go digital only on psp games like with corpse party. I love deluxe editions for games "lunar, persona, fate/extra etc" however since the vita is out they can release digital versions so they will work on the original psp and the vita via psn. This would still get the games out for us that like them and make it easier for developers to get the games out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
War Gods at least had two awesome characters (that you couldn't even play as unfortunately without hacking the thing).

Devil Summoner: Hey now, Elena and Millenia's connection was never meant to be subtle, Todd. Anyway, it's nice to see more of the Shin Megami series. I don't know if we'll ever get everything in the series (unlikely), but it gives us a chance to play some very unique and interesting RPGs. Demons are still pretty cool.

GKH Cancellation: What!? No Grand Knights History? That's a shame. That's still one of the games I've been eagerly awaiting. On the other hand, I don't blame XSeed at all. They're such a small studio, and taking on too much work can result in cancellations. I mean, we're all still uncertain if they can handle the enormous task of translating Trails in the Sky's second chapter. I hope Atlus, not Ignition, can pick this up.

In Brief: I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out, and they were so enthusiastic about it too. Kickstarter is a neat system, but getting contributions is its own task. There might be some people who want what's offered, but refuse to donate a single cent. Then there are those who just don't have the money they want to send for the project. I can't say Conception would probably be too noticeable. Its premise is once again an example of Japan's monumentally strange creativity, but its presentation might be better than it sounds on paper.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
That Sega racing game looks pretty cool, actually.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Wait so is class getting a digital only release, if so they might as well cancel it flat out. I would have to say the majority of people who play jrpg, especially on the psp are collector's, so paying for nothing physical, not going to happen.

I honestly did not know the Ireland was still around, hasn't done anything since what Growlanser Generations.

Honestly, I will always be skeptical about the trouble to localize a game, considering fan made ports or roms get made all the time, often with technical and fairly professional looking results. And you cant get paid professionals to do this, apparently you are hiring the wrong people.

And one last point Xseed is not that small, and they have released even more questionable releases like anyone remeber Valhalla Knights ported to the Wii from the psp?

OH well one of these days Ill learn Japanese, and just important the thousands of games that the US misses out on.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Wait so is class getting a digital only release, if so they might as well cancel it flat out. I would have to say the majority of people who play jrpg, especially on the psp are collector's, so paying for nothing physical, not going to happen.

I honestly did not know the Ireland was still around, hasn't done anything since what Growlanser Generations.

Honestly, I will always be skeptical about the trouble to localize a game, considering fan made ports or roms get made all the time, often with technical and fairly professional looking results. And you can't get paid professionals to do this, apparently you are hiring the wrong people.

And one last point Xseed is not that small, and they have released even more questionable releases like anyone remeber Valhalla Knights ported to the Wii from the psp?

OH well one of these days Ill learn Japanese, and just important the thousands of games that the US misses out on.

Hey don't underestimate fan translators since most work very hard to let us play games we would never normally get. Hell higurashi, school days, deus ex machina demonbane, corpse party would have never been picked up if fan translators never got enough attention to the work for the series to come over.

Yes there might be some with grammar errors or just troll translations. I would say around 90 percent are pretty decent so far "little busters, clannad, kanon, umineko, 11eyes, stein's;gate, chaos;head" got full/decent translations and I am looking forward to re-write.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited to see Soul Hackers being re-done on the 3DS with always the possibility of Atlus USA localizing it.

Regarding why the PSP port of the original Devil Summoner was never localized - supposedly, Atlus lost the source code to the game and had to write a Saturn emulator for the PSP to port the game. Same goes with Princess Crown.

Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Also regarding the low reviews for Phantom Breaker... that seems like one of those games that isn't aimed at the mainstream reviewers. Its full of moe and made for the otaku. Hyperdimension Neptunia also got really bad reviews from them and I loved it, so I'm not gonna be dissuaded.

No, PB is simply a bad and boring fighter. If you eant a good anime fighter, go buy BlazBlue. You want a good anime fighter with plenty of moe, go buy Arcana Heart 3.

It's actually not that terrible. The problem is that the game doesn't play like a fast, fluid modern day fighter. It's more akin to fighting games of the 90s when things are slower paced compared to now. It looks clunky and the animations might be stiff, but it's still pretty fun. I say this as someone who owns the JP version and is a casual fighting game fan.

You want to see a terrible fighting game that's a relatively recent release, check out Twinkle Queen by Milestone on the Wii.

Aquapazza is coming to the PS3 later this year and looks to be good for an anime fighting game.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I gotta ask about that Cherry Hill game. Is it just some cheap flash game (thats what some of the screenshots look like), or is it actually good?

It's definitely better than a run-of-the-mill Flash game. I'll save the full explanation for my review, though.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, it seems Phantom Breaker has (possibly) been delayed yet again until 6/12 now, seriously 7sixty, don't you want our money or not, I know you mentioned somewhere the game is complete (in a Siliconera article), but seriously, why is it taking so long to announce an actual release date, sheesh.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/10/phantom-breaker-delayed-to-may-due-to-bug-fixes/

You said its done and should be in printing and later on in transit, and would be anticipating a 5/8 release, now what's going on here...

But then again on their facebook...

(7sixty) just sent an email to check on the game's status as far as getting it out to retailers goes. We'll have an update for everyone in the next few days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2