• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Ringing Bell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
"Are you telling me that the reviewer is telling his audience to exterminate wolves?

What the hell did Wolves ever do to you that you would tell us to kill them?

Hahahaa!! What!?! How in the world did you get this message? I'll admit his wording about the beauty of nature was a little vague, but where on earth did you get him saying "Kill all wolves?"

classicalzawa wrote:
"This pretty much sums up my general problem I seem to be having with all kids movies lately. Just name it, Bolt, Insert Disney movie, Spiderwick Chronicles, they're all playing it safe. None of the main characters or their parents/best friends ever die (or if they do it was way before the movie ever started), they all have happy endings, and they don't try anything objectionable.

Did you see "Bridge to Terabithia?" Now that's a good depressing kids' film. Generally there are a few good, deeper kids movies out there, but they are a bit few and far between, and they're usually based off kids/young adult novels. I really recommend this film from maybe 8-10 years ago called "The Mighty." Definitely a moving kid's story that doesn't pull any punches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The squirrels are not trying to kill you

That doesn't mean they're not a threat to other squirrels and therefore shouldn't be eaten, though! Mmmm, squirrel.

Seriously, though, I don't think Justin has a problem with wolves in particular, just this hippie notion of "Oh, nature, how wonderful! How perfect! How exquisite!" After all, the ebola virus came to us from nature and I certainly don't see anyone celebrating that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I just watched this movie and as I was expecting, I loved it. This is why I like Buried Treasure so much. I'm always up for a classic lesser known anime title and I'm never let down by this column.

I saw quite a bit of symbolism throughout the film. I'm not very religious or anything but I feel that Chirin represents a fallen angel. I think the farm is suppose to represent heaven and the mountains are suppose to represent hell. The wolf even says that his world is hell.

I was very impressed and I can't wait for the next Buried Treasure.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
oh shi-

Ringing Bell!

This thing is a legend among my siblings and I for being horrible. I don't remember it bumming us out as kids or anything, though.

I got a bootleg DVD of it a while ago, which is probably just a VHS scan, but at least I have a copy.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Just picked it up @ CDJapan.co.jp for about $23 shipped. Pretty nice price for a classic.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCBE-52415
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Umm, Charred Knight, ever think that he's talking about the popularized "Innocent Natural Harmony" bullcrap that we put in our kids' faces with movies where lions nobly explain that the only reason they eat antelope is because it's part of an Elton John song?

No one's saying kill wolves. What he's saying is let's look at the real nature where wolves do eat livestock because they're hungry and livestock are easy prey provided Farmer Frank doesn't have his twice-barreled shootgun on hand.

He didn't say that human and nature shouldn't belong, he stated that nature was not beautiful. It makes me think of Justin as having a screw loose and thinking the squirrels are out to get him.

It came off to me like Justin was promoting the destruction of the ugly nature to make it more safe for humans.

It shows me that Justin is incredibly short sighted believing that humanity and nature can not live together when that is a must.

Should you go around trying to keep lions as pets? No, but that doesn't mean you get in a jeep and start gunning them down so you can stuff them and hang them in the den.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
What a great counterpoint to Bambi. I just finished it on YouTube and I was impressed. From an adult viewpoint, there's no villain. The wolf lives his life honestly, and survives by being the creature he is. I found the wolf the most respectable character in the film.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well that was some premium nightmare fuel. The worst moment I can recall in 80s kids cartoons was from the Transformers movie, and this just blows it clear out of the water. If that particular moment caused a lot of anger from parents, I wonder how Chirin's Bell ended up? Of course, they're on two different scales of popularity, but still.

And I find it humourous that I wasn't the only one to go spoiler["OMG Fallout"] at the end.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
It came off to me like Justin was promoting the destruction of the ugly nature to make it more safe for humans.

It shows me that Justin is incredibly short sighted believing that humanity and nature can not live together when that is a must.

Methinks you misinterpreted the intention of the statement. I understood the comment as being upset that typical depictions of the natural world as sanitized, perfect, and happy, while in actuality there is suffering that occurs. The lie that is almost as bad as Santa is that of an idealized natural world, and that is what should be eliminated: the bowdlerization of nature, not its ugly parts.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that movie was frickin dark for what it was. I was surprised. It starts off so cute and sugary and then runs in a completely different direction. I thought I found a fansub (or a d/l-able VHS Rip) Maybe it was on Youtube after all.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
I like Arashi no Yoru ni but the review hit the nail on the head. I really would like to check this one out. I'll see what I can do about the fansub situation Wink

Edit: I think Arashi no Yoru ni came out in 2005 not last year.

It did. I wanted to correct Justin on that and let him know it was a goat, not a lamb in that film too. People often get both these films mixed up that way. Wink

JohnathanEnder wrote:
They had this at Otakon a few years ago. One of the video rooms was playing it on Saturday night. One of the most depressing things I have ever seen.

Must've been a nice time watching it in a group. Most of us who have probably seen this in our youths only ever saw it 5 feet away from the TV set, and hardly anyone to lay our sadness upon.

Quote:
[snip -TK]

As usual.

Ryusui wrote:
Guh? The Mouse and his Child? I watched that after it was mentioned several times on TVTropes.org. Good movie, but I had no idea it was by Sanrio.

There was a lot of things Sanrio did that hardly makes sense nowadays. In particular, that film was animated by an American studio, Murakami-Wolf Productions, albeit, bankrolled through Sanrio's US subsidiary.

But that's peanuts compared to their own US effort, Metamorphosis (a.k.a. "Winds of Change"), using a lot of animators who have worked for Disney, MGM and other studios, yet barely made a dent at all with it's modern take on the tales of Ovid.

Quote:
(It was good enough that I bought the book off of Amazon.com. And yes, before you ask, the book is better, but the movie stands on its own merits.)

It was still quite a dark mindbender, having seen that WAY too young myself!

Quote:
Anyways, thanks for the YouTube link...I've heard of Ringing Bell before (thank you, Anime Encyclopedia and your shining gems mixed in with tons of misinformation), but I've never had cause or opportunity to watch it. :3

There's also a YouTube link for Mouse & His Child for anyone who wants to know what that film was like.
[sorry, no linking to elongated segments or sequences, please -TK]

Anime World Order wrote:
Since the time when I put up my review of Ringing Bell about two years ago, I've received a lot of correspondence from people who remember seeing it in their childhood perhaps not via the RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video release, but because this thing apparently aired on TV. Exactly where is uncertain: people have claimed it was on Nick Jr, but I grew up with the creation of Nickelodeon back when they used to show tons of anime, and since I never saw this during my childhood I can only assume it aired somewhere else.

I don't remember then playing it either, unless it was some odd one-time only thing that aired on "Special Delivery" one Sunday afternoon.

Quote:
I hear similar stories regarding Unico as well as Sea Prince and the Fire Child, so there must be something to the tales.

Could've been HBO since I've read those films were played on there too, though Disney Channel also used to show the Unico flicks too I remember seeing them on, but I don't think Ringing Bell would've came up on there anyway, just don't think Nick would pick it up either if they knew it's content beforehand.

Quote:
That said, I'm not the resident expert; for matters relating to this (as well as Unico), I defer to whatever Rob Fenelon--one of the original "pushers" of Ringing Bell--and StudioToledo say.

Thanks. Wink

Quote:
I do wish Sanrio had continued making films of the caliber of this, Unico, and Legend of Sirius. It's my opinion that children's entertainment is far too sanitized and overprotective to the point of being detrimental.

True, we only wonder why that sort of ride came to a halt in the mid 80's. They've also made a few live-action stuff under the Sanrio namesake like "The Glacier Fox" some may remember.

classicalzawa wrote:
I suppose Wall*E actually tried to bring some things into question in regards to the American life style (with clear disregards to skinny vegetarians), so it gets some credit there I suppose for not playing it entirely safe, but pretty much everything else has been annoying me for this very reason.

I liked what I saw in Wall*E as well.

Quote:
I just finished watching this on youtube (hooray for youtube) and enjoyed it.

I'm glad you've enjoyed ever minute of it.

Quote:
I'd call it family viewing and viewing for little kids no problem, it's not like bazookas are involved with enough blood to fill several olympic sized swimming pools on the screen at any given time. But it still deals with more mature themes than "finding you pet" or "protecting a book from evil using tomato sauce", both of which were uber predictable happy endings. I don't remember being sheltered this much when I was a kid (and this was just back in the 90's). And I played with Fisher Price toys that had small parts young kids might choke on, but clearly, everything worked out.

I felt this film was effective in getting the message across to a children's audience that might not have been attempted before. In the end, life is pain, it's just a simple fact that is hard to accept for all of us, but we learn to live with it.

Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
Just picked it up @ CDJapan.co.jp for about $23 shipped. Pretty nice price for a classic.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCBE-52415

Now if we can only get US releases for these (let alone having the wish for English audio tracks for those R2 discs which didn't happen either).

OnanRulz wrote:
What a great counterpoint to Bambi. I just finished it on YouTube and I was impressed. From an adult viewpoint, there's no villain. The wolf lives his life honestly, and survives by being the creature he is. I found the wolf the most respectable character in the film.

I felt that way too about him and the way the film views the problem of one's own decisions that effect his or her life. This is not a film about 'who's the bad guy', it' more about making that wrong choice and deals with the dangers of non-conformity in a society.

Last edited by StudioToledo on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
He didn't say that human and nature shouldn't belong, he stated that nature was not beautiful. It makes me think of Justin as having a screw loose and thinking the squirrels are out to get him.
While I'll freely admit to having a screw loose, you're REALLY jacking my words around here. Nature is not beautiful, but I'd venture to say man is even worse.

StudioToledo wrote:
I wanted to correct Justin on that and let him know it was a goat, not a lamb in that film too. Wink
Touché. They do, however, both taste fantastic.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the article, otherwise I'd have never found this. Great movie. I'm glad I didn't see it as a kid, though.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Nature is not beautiful, but I'd venture to say man is even worse.

Seeing as how you are ready to poop your pants over watching "Planet Earth" on BluRay, I don't quite see where this sentiment is coming from all the sudden. Or is your idea of beauty reserved solely for food now?

And in that case... you don't find beauty in snakes unhinging their jaws with swallow wild hogs whole?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Seeing as how you are ready to poop your pants over watching "Planet Earth" on BluRay, I don't quite see where this sentiment is coming from all the sudden. Or is your idea of beauty reserved solely for food now?

And in that case... you don't find beauty in snakes unhinging their jaws with swallow wild hogs whole?

Dammit, THIS, THIS is the reason you don't work with family members. Because the minute you try to put on airs they IMMEDIATELY call you out. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4