• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kurenai Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
It was because of Theron's reviews for Angel Beats and Living for the Day After Tomorrow that I was able to check out and love those shows, and he hasn't failed me yet! I'll pick this up at the next Sentai sale on Right Stuf!
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah Living for the Day After Tomorrow is also a favorite of mine and I got the DVDs when it came out. IMHO the anime is actually a better adaptation than the manga. (Which I also have)
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Loved this anime, it's on my shelf waiting to be re-watched but I'm bummed they didn't include the OVA's. I know Theron said they're fill-in stories, but are they important to the story and need to be watched?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
It was because of Theron's reviews for Angel Beats and Living for the Day After Tomorrow that I was able to check out and love those shows, and he hasn't failed me yet! I'll pick this up at the next Sentai sale on Right Stuf!

Pre-order pricing was $30, a bit less than the $37 RightStuf is charging now. I pre-ordered Sentai's forthcoming Ikoku Meiro no Croisee at the $30 price just the other day. Might be worth keeping in mind if Sentai announces another show that interests you.

njprofan wrote:
are they important to the story and need to be watched?

No, not at all. They're also drawn in the style of the manga which pleased some people and annoyed others. I don't care about stuff like that, myself. The first episode does include a pool scene with the mandatory bikinis; Yunno's suit not surprisingly is especially revealing. The second concerns the ladies' discovery of a stash of girlie magazines under Shinkarou's sink. Both of them are set after the end of the events in the original series.

Last edited by yuna49 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Loved this anime, it's on my shelf waiting to be re-watched but I'm bummed they didn't include the OVA's. I know Theron said they're fill-in stories, but are they important to the story and need to be watched?

Nope. Heck, watching them either left me bored (the one where he has to fix the smart girl's computer) or really confused (where they're at the pool thing and there are like 3 new characters who weren't even introduced). I don't really like the OVAs to be honest.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
The OVAs were horrible and messed with very likable characters. I know the manga is supposed to be more of a slapstick, but I prefer this version. I can't help but love anime that busts out random musical numbers like Red Garden which shares the same director as this show. The voice acting was also recorded before the animation was done which is pretty rare. I think it let the voice actors be a little more creative.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Didn't realize this finally got licensed. Guess I will have to purchase it. It was a fairly good series, even if it felt silly at times.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:

no they don't need to be watched for the main story. Well hmmm here is an ova screen shoot compared to the t.v. anime and this is why I prefer t.v. anime.

T.V. anime
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q496/cecilthedarkknight_234/tvanime.jpg
OVA
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q496/cecilthedarkknight_234/kurenaiovacap.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
I don't make this point to argue with or bitch at dtm42, he's inflexible to say the least, but to address the points for those are considering his criticisms while deciding to watch the show or not.

His arguments aren't completely illogical (other than the purely subjective VA opinion).
It is true some of the villains are excessively "evil" (mainly the brother and the evil chick "enforcer" that apparently strays so far from her source character that you can call her anime-original) but others have motives and reasons for their actions and I suspect there might be reasons, unexplained at the point of the story portrayed in the anime, for what they do other than merely being messed up oligarchs with a deplorable taboo.

And that power does seem pretty stupid- there are explanations, and moments when you see that it is effective, but it is kinda silly IMO.

As for his last points- on the surface they do seem to be faults but dtm42 misses or refuses to see that there was a larger point to taking Murasaki in, and it wasn't actually to protect her. Entrusting Murasaki to Kuranai, even though he wasn't nearly the best bodyguard choice, served the real purpose of the request Beniko was fulfilling. The spoiler[beating that he and the "Sensible bodyguard" suffered] served that purpose.

The show isn't one of my "best ever" choices that is a first priority purchase, but I do hope to pick it up eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It amazes me the lengths some people will go to in defending bad writing or pretending that it doesn't exist in their beloved shows.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This isn't Taken. spoiler[Dude knows when he's lost and when any further pursuit is a lost cause. He and the others realize that some things simply are too large for you to take on. I admired that kind of downer ending, it takes balls to do that in anime when they absolutely adore shoehorned happy ends.]

That's stupid. spoiler[He could have stayed on the run and kept the girl safe, allowing her to experience more of the world. And when she was reached adulthood she could have testified in court and brought her family down.]

Instead he gets spoiler[himself and the sensible bodyguard beaten up for no real purpose and put the other residents of the apartment building in danger. In fact, he had no way of knowing that any of them would live, since the family would be worried that he knew of their dirty incestuous secrets which could bring them down and land most of their members in jail. Whether he knew about the incest or not (I can't remember), thinking that he could just stroll back to the apartment and that nothing would happen is the decision of a moron.]

Spastic Minnow wrote:
As for his last points- on the surface they do seem to be faults but dtm42 misses or refuses to see that there was a larger point to taking Murasaki in, and it wasn't actually to protect her. Entrusting Murasaki to Kuranai, even though he wasn't nearly the best bodyguard choice, served the real purpose of the request Beniko was fulfilling. The spoiler[beating that he and the "Sensible bodyguard" suffered] served that purpose.

So let me see if I have got this straight. spoiler[It was to give the girl a chance at living a normal life and teach the boy a valuable life lesson, correct? More bad reasoning. First of all, since when does a teenage boy need to bodyguard a young aristocratic girl to realise a life lesson like how to be responsible? He could have just been given a puppy, that usually works. Secondly, when dealing with a very young girl who is about to be raped by her own (IIRC) brother, it doesn't matter how much experience she gets of the outside world if she then gets recaptured and immediately raped anyway. The boy's employer knew all this and her actions (and lack of action at a crucial time) were reprehensible.]

Oh, and Spastic Minnow, I'm not "inflexible", I just resolutely refuse to ascribe to the incorrect view that this show is well written. Heck, I could say that it is you and Key and the others that are inflexible for being unable to see the light, but I am too polite for that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It amazes me the lengths some people will go to in defending bad writing or pretending that it doesn't exist in their beloved shows.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This isn't Taken. spoiler[Dude knows when he's lost and when any further pursuit is a lost cause. He and the others realize that some things simply are too large for you to take on. I admired that kind of downer ending, it takes balls to do that in anime when they absolutely adore shoehorned happy ends.]

That's stupid. spoiler[He could have stayed on the run and kept the girl safe, allowing her to experience more of the world. And when she was reached adulthood she could have testified in court and brought her family down.]

Instead he gets spoiler[himself and the sensible bodyguard beaten up for no real purpose and put the other residents of the apartment building in danger. In fact, he had no way of knowing that any of them would live, since the family would be worried that he knew of their dirty incestuous secrets which could bring them down and land most of their members in jail. Whether he knew about the incest or not (I can't remember), thinking that he could just stroll back to the apartment and that nothing would happen is the decision of a moron.]

Spastic Minnow wrote:

So let me see if I have got this straight. spoiler[It was to give the girl a chance at living a normal life and teach the boy a valuable life lesson, correct? More bad reasoning. First of all, since when does a teenage boy need to bodyguard a young aristocratic girl to realise a life lesson like how to be responsible? He could have just been given a puppy, that usually works. Secondly, when dealing with a very young girl who is about to be raped by her own (IIRC) brother, it doesn't matter how much experience she gets of the outside world if she then gets recaptured and immediately raped anyway. The boy's employer knew all this and her actions (and lack of action at a crucial time) were reprehensible.]

Oh, and Spastic Minnow, I'm not "inflexible", I just resolutely refuse to ascribe to the incorrect view that this show is well written. Heck, I could say that it is you and Key and the others that are inflexible for being unable to see the light, but I am too polite for that.

then don't no one is forcing you to however others have different opinions and ways of thinking. Not everyone is going to think like you, like me, key or even zac on "my favorite anime derp". The problem is your elitist and snobbish attitude that makes you think that you're views or opinion is higher than anyone else thus negating any need for any other valid opinions.

Big news I hate k-on, I think it's a steaming pile of shi* that adds nothing but inflated money to the industry. I'll even admit to be being a dic* about hyouka having all or near all the va's from k-on back when that thread was open, however if some likes it and is willing to explain to me why, then I just don't snuff them off completely, we are all anime fans and we need to start get along not divided.

I swore to myself I wasn't going to post but dam**** either realize this fault you have and own up to it. You call it standards fine but don't mock others for not having your standards, it pi**** me and a lot of other people off when you do. To sum up your view in a nut shell.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised anyone could prefer the OVAs over the TV series. The OVAs are just another action-comedy with a harem love polygon and whipping-boy protagonist who incongruously can kick major ass. I felt like I was watching a version of Hayate the Combat Butler that didn't have the wisdom to realize how silly it was.

Murasaki is reduced to a "cute kid" stereotype, to boot. The TV series isn't perfect, but it's a sophisticated masterpiece next to the pulpy nonsense that's the OVA.

One thing I was surprisingly pleased with in the TV series was the two comic relief neighbor characters. They're actually funny instead of annoying, the one in the tracksuit gets a great dramatic scene with great naturalistic dialogue (which actually contributes to the theming of the plot) and their final scene, where they bid Kurenai goodbye before he goes on his mission to save Murasaki, is genuinely warm and loving like you rarely see in any kind of fiction.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So let me see if I have got this straight. spoiler[It was to give the girl a chance at living a normal life .... [the rest of this isn't worth quoting] .]

I'm not making excuses for LOST, here. The goal was stated, that you missed it is unfortunate. People considering watching the show should know that anyone paying attention would notice- because it was said.

spoiler[Murasaki's mother didn't believe it was possible for Murasaki to escape, IIRC it was stated rather clearly at some point that her mother wanted her to "experience love" even if it were temporary. that was the goal, that was the request she made to Benika.

The end may have been cruel, but everything that happened affirmed the love she had for Kurenai and her new friends. ]

dtm42 wrote:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Flexibility isn't determined by who's right and wrong, it's determined by being able to see the point of the other person and find worth in it even if you disagree. You sir, are a freaking bar of lead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Flexibility isn't determined by who's right and wrong, it's determined by being able to see the point of the other person and find worth in it even if you disagree. You sir, are a freaking bar of lead.

Well, you can hardly expect me to see worth in your opinion if I do not think it is in any way right in the first place.

And I am not "a bar of lead", I am the only person in this thread who is seeing what a fundamental flaw that was.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

You clearly have no idea what kind of situation they were in. There's no testifying in court and there's no bringing the family down. You seem to be of the misunderstanding that everything taking place in the compound was some sort of huge secret, it wasn't. It certainly wasn't public knowledge, but people outside knew about it. They're one of the most powerful families in the area, the government is in their pocket and the other powerful families know what's going on in there. Testify? To who? This is a situation where they're entirely alone. And really that was never their goal in the first place, nor was keeping Murasaki away from her family forever, that's just what Shinkuro wanted. The only thing her mother wanted for her was for her to have a chance to experience life on the outside as she herself had. Escape was never a possibility, she knew better.

You also need to keep in mind that while what they do is certainly illegal, they aren't outright evil people out to kill everyone that opposes them. The brother certainly had no redeeming qualities, but the father was simply carrying on his family's traditions, and even he showed some flexibility. And from his perspective his daughter had been kidnapped, not rescued. He doesn't blame Murasaki for leaving and she certainly isn't afraid of him. After the events of the TV series spoiler[he allows Murasaki to come and go as she wants].

Anyway, between this, Toradora!, Casshern Sins, Natsume's Book of Friends, and a few other titles, 2008 was easily the best year for new anime we've had in a while. I don't rate "masterpiece" in My Anime very often, but all four of those titles got it from me that year.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4