• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica's SHAFT Launches Prism Nana Project Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Comike website listed booth 642 as "まじかるすいーとプリズム・ナナ" (Magical Sweet Prism Nana). Maybe this is the official title?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Perhaps its out of line for me to say this, since I haven't seen any of Nanoha... but maybe this could be a series more like that (or that highly praised second season of it), though perhaps less bloated with a tighter episode count and better pacing?

Like the first series, the second Nanoha series only had 13 episodes.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Well, Shinbo did direct the first Nanoha series, so he knows how to do magical girl shows that aren't grimdark as well. Hopefully its closer to Nanoha than Madoka.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed watching Madoka and most of Shaft's works so looking forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, Shinbo did direct the first Nanoha series, so he knows how to do magical girl shows that aren't grimdark as well. Hopefully its closer to Nanoha than Madoka.

Yeah well ever since Sayonara Zetsbou Sensei ,he went insane and started to direct weird art house fanservice and sometimes absurdist and philosophical animes so I highly doubt that he will go back to Nanoha when everybody likes his stuff now.Besides it is not like Shaft only has one director.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
D'oh! How'd I forget that one? Anime hyper

Because you watch more anime than I do! Wink
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Besides it is not like Shaft only has one director.

Don't they? I can't think of any Shaft anime in the last few years not directed by Shinbo.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

Don't they? I can't think of any Shaft anime in the last few years not directed by Shinbo.

Well There is Shin OOnuma and he directed ef: a tale of memories.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

Well There is Shin OOnuma and he directed ef: a tale of memories.

He left to create Silver Link though, so he doesn't do any work with Shaft anymore. That was like 4 years ago, too.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the character designs look an awful lot like Kantoku? He's one of the up and coming LN artists now, and his Hentai Oji LN just got an anime adaption as well.

So, I'm not the only one who thought the character designs look like Kantoku.

While up and coming (Hentai Ouji is his third novel), he is well known in the doujin circuit under After school the 5th year.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:

He left to create Silver Link though, so he doesn't do any work with Shaft anymore. That was like 4 years ago, too.

Yeah I forgot about that,well Shaft has a lot of money and there a lot of good freelance directors out there,but you are right with the popularity of Bakemonogatri and Puella Magi Madoka Magica , Shinbo will most likely direct this
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Will if it by shaft then it will be good
Kyoshinhei
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the character designs look an awful lot like Kantoku? He's one of the up and coming LN artists now, and his Hentai Oji LN just got an anime adaption as well.

So, I'm not the only one who thought the character designs look like Kantoku.

While up and coming (Hentai Ouji is his third novel), he is well known in the doujin circuit under After school the 5th year.

Yup, thought so too. Plus a little banner for the new project just popped up on Kantoku's website so that pretty much a given.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Huh, well I'll be. I thought the Nanoha was longer than 50 episodes altogether; I had thought each of the seasons were 26 episodes apiece. Guess that's not particularly bloated (though there have only been a small handful of series that I've honestly really liked that are 50+ episodes, so the episode count for the whole franchise doesn't do anything particularly positive for me anyway.)

Fencedude5609 wrote:
[Mod Edit: Post was removed for being condescending and inflammatory, not to mention not adding anything to the discussion or making any effort to present any supporting information or arguments to back up the claims in the post. - Keonyn]

Well hey, at least I qualified my original statement with it being possibly "out of line" for me to say what I did (though I guess not including "perhaps'" or just keeping my mouth shut would've been more to your liking). Honestly, Nanoha was virtually nonexistent on my radar until Madoka, and then even after that, what relatively little I've read & understood of it (Carl Kimlinger's review of the first season that remarked on the "overstuffed, otaku-pandering script;" Justin Sevakis's initial, meant-to-be-derogatory (mis?)characterization of Madoka Magica as the 'next Nanoha' on a podcast a while back; a trusted online acquaintance's ratings of the three seasons as 'so-so,' 'good,' and 'decent'), gave me an overall 'meh' feeling. That's what led to the whole statement of this new series possibly being more like Nanoha but basically 'better.'

Maybe I'll try out some of the actual episodes, then. Or at least, see that first Nanoha movie; that should make a decent pre-emptive strike against my concerns in regards to length and pacing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Nanoha is kind of a different magical girl anime. It was based off an eroge character (Nanoha originally appeared in Triangle Hearts, an old eroge where she's the little sister of the main character), and it was made for otaku and lolicon fans. It was all aired at late night, a real oddity for magical girl shows, and it fed off the success of the otaku fanbase who loved magical girl shows like Pretty Cure, but focusing on the main aspects the otaku liked about them... like lots of loli fanservice with transformation sequences and scenes of the girls "assets".

First season was 13 ep, 2nd was 13, and 3rd was 24-26. Its also had a couple movies now, and a lot of manga spin offs. Its movie is one of the best selling late night anime movies ever, so its a pretty major franchise. Not Madoka level, but its easily the 2nd biggest otaku aimed magical girl series out there. Shinbo directed the first series too, so he knows all about making otaku aimed magical girl shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5