• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ah My Buddha DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loganator456

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
To me, Ai Yori Aoshi was never a harem show. There was not a gaggle of girls for Kaoru to pick from; it was all about him and Aoi.
Agreed.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Like I said, I will probably buy it all, but I may not like it.
Why buy it when you can just watch it online or rent it? I rarely buy anime, even ones that I really like.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Key wrote:
...not because Yours Truly has no appreciation for harem shows (I'm a huge fan of Ai Yori Aoshi, for instance) or lowbrow content in general.

To me, Ai Yori Aoshi was never a harem show. There was not a gaggle of girls for Kaoru to pick from; it was all about him and Aoi.

He totally did have a gaggle of girls to pick from, he just didn't need any of them because he had already chosen. After the various girls arrived, there is very little advancement of Kaoru and Aoi's relationship until the end of the series, and the sequel did almost nothing beyond that, but rather spent more time on Tina.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Loganator456 wrote:
Why buy it when you can just watch it online or rent it? I rarely buy anime, even ones that I really like.

As a software developer, I am especially sensitive to copyright, fansubs do no even cross my mind. I would continue buying at a cheap price point in the hopes of being surprised, and to throw some money Media Blaster's way in the hopes of more like Simoun and Kashimashi.
Jared_Hussen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the Amaenaideyo hatred? Does American culture not know how to sit back and enjoy a good harem anymore?

Although this isn't the life-changing experience the reviewer seems to be looking for, this series is good fun and brings a smile to my face. For those of you who enjoy this sort of thing, a definite watch.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Jared_Hussen wrote:
What's with all the Amaenaideyo hatred? Does American culture not know how to sit back and enjoy a good harem anymore?

This is not a "good" harem show by any stretch. At least not what I've seen of it, anyway.

Quote:
Although this isn't the life-changing experience the reviewer seems to be looking for, this series is good fun and brings a smile to my face. For those of you who enjoy this sort of thing, a definite watch.

I don't expect a "life-changing experience" out of a series like this, just something that is funny when it's supposed to be funny, has the fan service it promises, and generally doesn't suck. This one failed on all three points for me.

Want to see one that gets it right? Check out Steel Angel Kurumi sometime. That's a harem series that would earn a high B/low A grade from me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for others: don't know why I'm bothering to say this, but this series is getting ripped because it's BAD, not because Yours Truly has no appreciation for harem shows (I'm a huge fan of Ai Yori Aoshi, for instance) or lowbrow content in general

Exactly. There is nothing but fanservice, there isn't much besides that. I'd know this because about five years ago a friend sumarized the series for me and told me the series had no story, just all fanservice.

As for Ai Yori Aoshi, I never really thought that series as harem. He might have had a gaggle of girls, but he had chosen Aoi at the start. I really enjoyed the anime, but the manga was especially well done.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
It's surprising that MB gave this show an English dub. I don't know anything about this show, but based on Key's review, there have been a few other titles released recently that are more deserving of a dub. One in particular was Simoun. Perhaps it's because yuri isn't considered as popular or mainstream as a fanservicecy harem show.

The worse a show is, the more effort you have to go to to shift it. Particularly if the show's only real selling point is that it's low buy-in easy "entertainment"; you want to sell a show based on that, you're gonna hafta bring the buy-in way low, and that means you're gonna hafta dub it so's people don't have to read.

Mind, in theory I'm strongly pro-dub. But the economics of dubbing a show and where the benefit works out best are odd.

[honestly, I'd suspect that this one's gonna work out a loss, opportunity-cost-wise.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
I love your review Key Wink I haven't even seen the series, and I'm not in the mood to try. This of course is based off of my reading the manga, but when I read it I wished that I hadn't. And now I see what kind of effect it has had on its anime counterpart. Gee whiz, look at that title. It's like they were trying to rip off Ah My Goddess for crying out loud. I am actually surprised however that this is the first time I'm hearing about the R1 release.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Jared_Hussen wrote:

This is not a "good" harem show by any stretch. At least not what I've seen of it, anyway.

Quote:

I don't expect a "life-changing experience" out of a series like this, just something that is funny when it's supposed to be funny, has the fan service it promises, and generally doesn't suck. This one failed on all three points for me.

Want to see one that gets it right? Check out Steel Angel Kurumi sometime. That's a harem series that would earn a high B/low A grade from me.

Care to explain why? I really don't see much difference. Not that I'm defending Ah! My Budda, but they're both on the same level as far as bland fanservice, characters and plot.

Not to mention how hard it would be to actually get the first season anywhere but Crunchyroll.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm still not surprised by the level of incompetency that ANN allows in its reviews of anime titles. If it doesn't fix an established set of what is considered appropriate anime or lives up to a particular series, ANN reviewers seem to develop an automatic hate for that series.

I've personally seen both seasons of this series and while they aren't exactly complicated, the series is rather enjoyable to watch. I've downloaded and watched the fansub versions and I think the reviewer of this series made a judgmental call on this show without giving it a chance.

I have also noticed that fan service shows seem to draw the moral ire of ANN reviewers as well. It's like ANN has a list of what it considers good anime and they deem "Fan Service" as being "not good anime."
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Care to explain why? I really don't see much difference. Not that I'm defending Ah! My Budda, but they're both on the same level as far as bland fanservice, characters and plot.

Kurumi is much better than A!MB ever could hope to be. It's got more likable characters, more of an actual plot, there's much more than just blatant fanservice (though there is plenty all the same), etc. They're not even in the same league.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I'm still not surprised by the level of incompetency that ANN allows in its reviews of anime titles. If it doesn't fix an established set of what is considered appropriate anime

We've established this, it's best not to think about it too much because it's not likely to change. All the same, I would actually say this review isn't too over the top. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Key said, but I would definitely agree it's not a show for everyone, even harem fans. You're right in the long run though. Bias is bias no matter how many times you stick your fingers in your ears and say "LALALALAICAN'THEARYOU!" Wink

Last edited by SongstressCela on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
[quote="jr0904"]
The Human Spider wrote:

As for this review,i'm not susprised.It seems thay don't like any harem series with fanservice unless it's Love Hina.

I don't know if you have read the reviews done for Love Hina by ANN Staff, but do your self a favor and please read them.

This doesn't really look like a show that I will enjoy so I'll wait for more releases then rent it to see if I like it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I have also noticed that fan service shows seem to draw the moral ire of ANN reviewers as well. It's like ANN has a list of what it considers good anime and they deem "Fan Service" as being "not good anime."

Maybe you can think of it the same way that they vote for movies at the Academy. Remember the outcry when Dark Knight was snubbed for best picture? There is a purpose for fan service. It gets all the fanboys/fangirls all giddy and stuff. Although if I remember correctly, ANN doesn't outrightly bash all titles with fanservice in them. But if the title is completely dedicated to fanservice, without any logical meaning for a story, then it's almost as if you were watching a hentai, but very watered down.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I'm still not surprised by the level of incompetency that ANN allows in its reviews of anime titles. If it doesn't fix an established set of what is considered appropriate anime or lives up to a particular series, ANN reviewers seem to develop an automatic hate for that series.

So are you making it your mission to complain about ANN's reviews at every possible opportunity, then?

Quote:
I've personally seen both seasons of this series and while they aren't exactly complicated, the series is rather enjoyable to watch. I've downloaded and watched the fansub versions and I think the reviewer of this series made a judgmental call on this show without giving it a chance.

Um, making judgmental calls is exactly what a reviewer is supposed to do. It's in the job description - really!

Quote:

I refer you to this review, which is only the latest example of me listing "lots and lots of fan service" as a plus for a title. Even in fan service there's a difference between doing it well and doing it inadequately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why the dub turned out so lackluster. It's got a cast of respectable L.A. actors, or at least what might be aliases of respectable LA actors, like "Michelle Bell." Then again, it was dubbed by the same studio that did Green Green, so it may have been a rush job with an inexperienced director. Still, I'm scratching my head at the apparent toning down of the sexual innuendo. New Generation Pictures' Girls Bravo dub proved that ramping up the innuendo can make a show better than it originally was, and even earned the respect of some hardcore fans that usually don't like English dubs.

As for the show itself, I'll pick it up at some point because I worked on the "other" version, starting with episode 5. AMB isn't exactly "good," even in the low-brow/harem/ecchi sphere. Others like Kanokon, Magikano and (from the same director) Yumeria did it much much better. But I did find a few episodes to have some standout drama, and the whole "power-charge" concept was fun enough, if a bit predictable. Still, AMB is not a show undeserving of "hater" treatment, and I don't think this review is unfair at all.

Kudos to Media-Blasters for not using the incomprehensible and unpronounceable Japanese title or a lame-sounding literal translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4