• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise: Keanu Reeves' Enthusiasm Clinched Cowboy Bebop Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Quote:
Cowboy Bebop is different. Here you have very dimensional characters, delicately developed relationships, a style that is hotter than the substance and has to be even cooler in live-action, regardless of the basicness of the story...and then there's Edward. Oh, boy, how are they going to do EDWARD? This is much harder material so it's a lot easier to screw it all up to heck, and the least of challenges is actually adapting the basic plot. The style, tone, and characters are going to be a bigger pain, so I just hope that this movie gets good directors and writers, Keanu or no Keanu...and no matter HOW passionate he is.

Hasn't it been confirmed that the movie is going to cover the first episode or so? i.e. No Edward or Fay. I mean aside from Keanu doing Spike, Jet really shouldn't be all that hard to get right.

They have talked about expanding the first episode's plot into the plot for the whole movie, but clearly by expanding it they could work in Faye and Edward somehow. Smart money says that Faye gets into the movie, but probably not Edward in anything more than a brief cameo or mention. What they really should do is adapt the plot from Faye's first episode into the movie's plot, I think it could work just as well as the first ep.

Knowing Reeves is such a big fan also gives me hope that the movie will be decent, at least.
Bissrok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
I think there's a lot of ways for this to go horribly wrong but... I mean, there's a chance for it to go right, too.

I hope they just focus on something that took place before the show, and they just focus on Spike and Jet. That's be a lot easier to get right. No way in hell you can ever cast Ed, though. Not unless CGI gets a lot better.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm reassured; if Watanabe gives the thumbs up then that's worth noticing.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
What is with all this pre-hate? Watanabe's going to have a significant say in the script- not because of Sunrise or whatever, but because if Reeves is the rabid fanboy ANN articles would have us believe, then he's clearly going to want the approval of the mastermind behind the whole thing. At the very least, then, we'll have good action and dialogue, and I imagine the budget will be good so no special effects issues...so that leaves the acting.

And I agree, it's yet to be seen if Reeves can pull off Spike. That's a wait and see, but I have a feeling his performance will be manageable since it's not as if Spike is especially emotive.

Anyway, good for Reeves. He seems to be using his superstar power for something productive instead of making the cover of People because he's having an affair and actually has another family.
12xan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
Sunrise having oversight of the script is good, but i'm still skeptic until the list of actors/actresses is released
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
I have high hopes, that with Keanu and Watanabe on board, it will turn out well.

Don't worry about Keanu's acting, because Spike is the sort of character, he can do well. I bet he'll pull it off. Have some faith people, I know its hard to do, just give this a chance though.

Apart from Battle Angel, this Cowboy Bebop is on my list for sure.

As for DB Evolution stuff, that anime adaption sucks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Keanu is not a great actor by any stretch. But I have faith he will be able to pull off the style of CB quite well if he just applies himself. And if he does that, then half the battle is won right there.

As far as Sunrise approving the script. I approve!

Doesn't mean it will turn out good though. But I really hope it does. Cowboy Bebop is an seminal anime that was a big part of the boom, and a goal for which other anime strive for in the factors of 'coolness' and watchability.

teferi wrote:
Hasn't it been confirmed that the movie is going to cover the first episode or so? i.e. No Edward or Fay. I mean aside from Keanu doing Spike, Jet really shouldn't be all that hard to get right.

Remember, if they don't put Faye into it then they will just put in some other "good guy" chic. Remember it is Hollywood, and there will always be a "love interest" or an "ass-kicking" girl thrown into the mix. It is as certain as the tides. If at all possible, I would rather just have Faye. Neutral

I hope they don't put Ed in it though. As much as I love her in the anime, I just don't think she will translate well at all into live-action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
Reasons why the Cowboy Bebop movie is going to be rubbish:

"Keanu Reeves doesn't know anythin' 'bout Anime"
- Oh. Actually, he's a massive fan of Cowboy Bebop. It might not even have made it so far without his zeal. He's really enthusiastic about it.

"Oh. Good. But we don't want some stupid origin story."
- Yeah, neither do the guys making it. They said so.

"Oh! So they'll be making up their own stupid story! There goes any hope of the movie being good!"
- They'll be adapting one of the most popular episodes.

"Well, fine, but there's no way they'd get the spirit of it right in a Hollywood movie."
- Sunrise are going to be looking it over, and giving it the okay.

"Oh, well, Hrm. Fine. But Sunrise are just a studio anyway, it's got to be Watanabe."
- Yeah, of course. He'll be the first person to review the script, and he'll have some input in regards to the direction too.

"Well. They'll get Spike's hair wrong!" Mad
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Cowboy Bebop is different. Here you have very dimensional characters, delicately developed relationships, a style that is hotter than the substance and has to be even cooler in live-action, regardless of the basicness of the story...and then there's Edward. Oh, boy, how are they going to do EDWARD? This is much harder material so it's a lot easier to screw it all up to heck, and the least of challenges is actually adapting the basic plot. The style, tone, and characters are going to be a bigger pain, so I just hope that this movie gets good directors and writers, Keanu or no Keanu...and no matter HOW passionate he is.

If they're smart, they'll leave Edward out entirely...and the dog.

The movie should focus on Spike, Jet, and Faye. There's no way they'll leave out Faye; there's gotta be SOME eye candy on the screen.
NightHedgehog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He emphasized that the contract allows Sunrise to assert quality control

I'm sure that Sunrise will approve of a good script because they're such great writers.

spoiler[Gundam Seed DESTINY]
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

If they're smart, they'll leave Edward out entirely...and the dog.

The movie should focus on Spike, Jet, and Faye. There's no way they'll leave out Faye; there's gotta be SOME eye candy on the screen.

Heck, done right and I see this film getting an oscar nomination for costume design. There was a lot of great fashion in cowboy bebop.
revilenigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Heck, done right and I see this film getting an oscar nomination for costume design. There was a lot of great fashion in cowboy bebop.

no way they would give an oscar to a movie based on a anime.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Even though this appears to be developing well I'm not sure I would actually go to the trouble of seeing it; I mean if it's just Bebop in live action, what's the point? I think that's where a lot of my personal apprehension comes from; the fact that even if they do a bang up job I've been there and done that. I would be more likely to go back to the original if I wanted to experience it again. For that reason I hope they take a risk and do something to reel me back in...maybe an alternate universe Bebop or something.
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:
samuelp wrote:

no way they would give an oscar to a movie based on a anime.

Anyone who can successfully and convincingly recapture Faye's distinctive attire, in real life with actual textiles and materials, without looking cheesy or NC-17, deserves an Oscar for costume design! Smile
RedTail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Afax wrote:
Quote:
He emphasized that the contract allows Sunrise to assert quality control

...this does not make me feel any better about the movie. At all.

Unless Keiko Nobumoto and/or Watanabe personally approve the script, Sunrises endorsement is worthless considering the quality, or lack thereof, of their own work lately.

Lol I knew it wouldn't be long before someone tried to work that angle/cliche.

Just in general though I wouldn't trust any anime studio in Japan working in tandem towards a live action production to judge properly whether a script is terrible or not. I can't actually think of any anime to live-action adaptation that I have ever seen that I would even begin to call decent.

Sunrise however, doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to Live-Action English Language Movies, that much is evident. I mean they did approve G-Saviour and anyone whose seen it can see that that was a bad move on their part.

G-Saviour was a low-budget flick, probably conceived by one of Sunrise's b-teams in the midst of the overall Big Bang Project, and was produced in Canada. With that in mind, is the end result really all that surprising?

Anyway, Reeves may not be the best actor out there, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this project will result in at least a decent live-action film adaption. If this and Akira both turn out awful, I'll join the rest of the mob.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6