• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More new Viz Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quote
While FMA is worthy of an Editor's Choice billing, I suppose it'll get stuck with Action, but if Viz is smart they'll give it the Evangelion treatment (one of the few titles where they preserve the sound effects).
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Now that makes a whole lot of sense. I should have realized it (slaps self on forehead). It would also explain why DC is making their CMX titles crappy to the extreme.
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I knew Viz would be the ones to get it, since they are pretty buddy-buddy with Funimation, so it seemed pretty obvious to me they would get it. Equals more promotion for FMA!

Quote:
Viz getting this means I won't be buying it...not unless I see them show some respect. They won't do it because they are Japanese and no one ruins anime/manga like the Japanese

...That makes little to no sense. They dont show "respect" because they are Japanese and they ruin their anime/manga because they are Japanese? Common, its a product from their own country, I'd think they would know how to handle it in a foreign country...well...maybe...thats a flaw every company is probably of guilty of. They all have their own ways of trying to decide on how to present manga to the U.S audience, some of them may get it right for some of the audience, while others might not.

Even if their adaptions dont live up to all of our expectations, its still better than nothing, and we still have alternatives of getting what we want if we dont like it (imports!^^). I wouldnt expect the packaging or print quality to be perfect though, especially considering most of the original japanese releases for the majority of series Viz have released arent exactly that great ethier, if not even worse. A few years ago it was different because more time was put into the packaging, printing and production of manga, because you would be lucky to get a full volume release every 6 or so months and they would be much better quality than normal, and they were more expensive too.

But now you have full volumes coming out every month or two, and the quality is downgraded to about the same as the original japanese volumes, but this allows for these manga to be sold cheaper. Compare to the old 12-15 dollar price tag to the now more reasonable 7-10 dollar range, a sacrafice in quality, which is barely noticed unless you sleep with the original japanese volumes isnt too big of a loss when your getting so much manga alot faster, and cheaper.

Last edited by Izlude on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
This makes me really, really happy.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
I knew Viz would be the ones to get it, since they are pretty buddy-buddy with Funimation, so it seemed pretty obvious to me they would get it.

Buddy-buddy? In the anime world, they are competitors, not buddies. If FUNimation had their own manga publishing house, I'm sure FUNimation would have tried to score it on their own. TokyoPop got Fruits Basket, a FUNimation title. So I really don't see them working together all that much if at all, but that's just me.

Quote:
Quote:
Viz getting this means I won't be buying it...not unless I see them show some respect. They won't do it because they are Japanese and no one ruins anime/manga like the Japanese

...That makes little to no sense. They don't show "respect" because they are Japanese and they ruin their anime/manga because they are Japanese? Common, its a product from their own country, I'd think they would know how to handle it in a foreign country...well...maybe...thats a flaw every company is probably of guilty of.

The saying is not mine, but one that I've been told repeatedly. It was a Japanese company who decided that Pokemon had to have English names for the dub (for which the R1 distributor was more than happy to go along with). Granted Viz isn't that severe, but lets just say that I was less than happy with how they treated Maison Ikkoku. They cut a few chapters (which they are now correcting with the new release) and you lose a lot with the loss of Japanese honorifics like the progress between Godai and Kyoko, whom he generally addresses as Kanrinin-san (proper since she's the manager). From time-to-time, he will address her as Kyoko-san when he thinks he's closer to her. By the time the manga is over, he addresses her as Kyoko. Cool

Quote:
Still, even if their adaptions don't live up to all of our expectations, its better than nothing, and we still got alternatives of getting what we want. I wouldnt expect the packaging or print quality to be perfect though, especially considering most of the original japanese releases for them arent exactly that great ethier. Of course, how else do you expect these manga to be sold so cheap?

I actually don't consider them 'cheap' in price. And that's ultimately the point. I'm sure there will be plenty who won't care and will buy. So from that aspect, what does Viz care about what I think? But since discovering that Del Rey is doing a bang-bang job on Tsubasa and Negima, I've added those to my collecting section along with TokyoPop's Fruits Basket, Kare Kano, Sgt. Frog, & Ai Yori Aoshi. There are two other titles I'm collecting which means no more room for anything else that doesn't meet my standards. Razz
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
While FMA is worthy of an Editor's Choice billing, I suppose it'll get stuck with Action, but if Viz is smart they'll give it the Evangelion treatment (one of the few titles where they preserve the sound effects).

As jfrog pointed out, Editor's Choice are usually mature titles aimed at older audiences. I doubt that they would put FMA under this catigory. I also can't see why people hate translated sound effects. There are some mangas that the sound effects blend in with the art to the point where removal would lower the art quality, but these are rare, and FMA isn't one of them. I would rather actually understand the sound effects (like the manga-ka intended) than have a company get lazy then pass it off as keeping it "authentic" to the Japanese version.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:00 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, Viz will cut a deal with Sq'Enix to get an FMA demo in a future issue of Jump.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:36 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Buddy-buddy? In the anime world, they are competitors, not buddies. If FUNimation had their own manga publishing house, I'm sure FUNimation would have tried to score it on their own. TokyoPop got Fruits Basket, a FUNimation title. So I really don't see them working together all that much if at all, but that's just me.

Thats perhaps true, but what I mean by "buddy-buddy" is that Viz will probably assist in promoting Funimation's release, and perhaps even take adaption cues. They tend to do the same with some of 4Kids stuff, and in DBZ they decided to call Mr.Satan, "Hercule". I dunno if its to attract the dub crowd or broaden the appeal...but whatever, Viz has some 20 years in the biz, they can make their own choices, even if they arent to me liking...not that I just don't love "Hercule", but changing Zoro to Zolo after nearly two years of publishing One Piece was waaaaaay too sudden.

I guess I don't care too much though, long as the story is intact and the manga remain entertaining, but the way they do things are just akward, I dunno if thats "old school" at heart or what, but the cranky geezer that is Viz needs to get its feet wet with modern manga business with ADV or Dark Horse.

GATSU wrote:
Hopefully, Viz will cut a deal with Sq'Enix to get an FMA demo in a future issue of Jump.

Why would anyting FMA related be in SJ when its not a Shueisha title? Might have a better chance in NewType or maybe The Offical Playstation Magazine.

Last edited by Izlude on Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:14 am; edited 3 times in total
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:12 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Why would anyting FMA related be in SJ when its not a Shueisha title? Might have a better chance in NewType or maybe The Offical Playstation Magazine.

It's times like these I wish Square Enix USA went into the manga business and translate their own titles from their Japanese affiliate. Ah, if only there was a GanGan or G-Fantasy magazine in the US. I would be so happy. ^__^
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:57 am Reply with quote
Blah, I'm tired of manga anthologies in the U.S, there so slow. Better off just doing a bi-monthly GN release. Its troublesome enough waiting months for a single volume.

The only thing really nifty about the anthologies is all the extra information and content your getting, maybe the occasional color page, but otherwise, thats about it really.
Djablesse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:21 am Reply with quote
All that we can hope for, and I'm sure that all of us are, is that the FullMetal Alchemist manga is represented truthfully and with respect to its original creators. We shouldn't argue about how we don't think Viz is capable of producing the manga respectfully; there's absolutely nothing we can do to stop them. So let's all just hope that they stay true to the Japanese translations, and if they don't, let's hope the opinion of disgruntled consumers will convince them to change the way they operate.

See the main word here? Hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jhanime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I just read the announcement on ICV2 web that Viz will publish Fullmetal Alchemist manga in June 2005.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Izlude...what I mean by "buddy-buddy" is that Viz will probably assist in promoting Funimation's release, and perhaps even take adaption cues. They tend to do the same with some of 4Kids stuff, and in DBZ they decided to call Mr.Satan, "Hercule". [/quote]

Viz does distribute Pokemon for "that company".

Quote:
I dunno if its to attract the dub crowd or broaden the appeal...but whatever, Viz has some 20 years in the biz, they can make their own choices, even if they arent to me liking...not that I just don't love "Hercule", but changing Zoro to Zolo after nearly two years of publishing One Piece was waaaaaay too sudden.

And Viz's business model is like it is 1984. TokyoPop, FUNimation, and now Del Rey have proved that todays anime and manga markets can easily support respecting Japanese culture (in the subs for FUNimation).

When it comes to the bookstore, I'll take a look-see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2