• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-05-29]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Though it has already been said, if my company were offered Sailor Moon, I'd go for it.

We'll just pretend we have the necessary resources (a bunch of good voice actors, decent distribution, and the truckloads of cash needed to bribe everyone who has a piece of the SM license).

All 5 seasons would be reissued, and just for grins, we might start with Sailorstars, as that was never released in English-speaking countries.

Also just for grins, there would be a trade-in program. Are you one of the folks who bought a bootleg? No problem! Send it to us for recycling (read: Anime Expo bootleg-burning party) and get a voucher good for $10 off your brand-spanking-new bilingual, legitimate boxset of "SAILOR MOON SAILORSTARS - the complete fifth season".

And finally, just to mess with people's minds, I'd make the licensing announcement at OMGCon.

It's fun to pretend. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Last edited by sailorneorune on Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Veers

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
My first step were I to somehow be spirited away into the anime industry would be to listen to all the opinions of all the people in the company that actually know the industry/business side of things. A fan's opinion can only do so much good on its own.

Quark wrote:
Anyway, I was interested because one of the Answer Fans mentioned Saya no Uta. For that Answer Fan, if he sees it - is that game PG regarding sex? I want to start playing VNs, but I want to be sure that I'm importing games that are 100% legal here in Canada - meaning no hentai scenes with little girls. I tried looking it up, and it didn't mention that it was an eroge, but it didn't say it wasn't either.
IIRC that one is (an eroge, not "PG")... I remember making a wallpaper (a SFW one) with the main character a few years ago without knowing who she was and when I posted it on /w/ there was some discussion about the game. I could be wrong about that, though, having never played any VN except the intro of the original Tears to Tiara (not the PS3 SRPG remake) which wasn't bad writing-wise, but the gameplay was so bad I gave up on it.

Last edited by Veers on Fri May 29, 2009 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that the site might just be a phishing site?.... The email seemed so generic that odds are its a fake site meant to get people to click on links to load adware and other malicious software onto a computer. I highly suggest removing the link Brian.

And ha on next weeks question. That's like handing everyone a loaded gun. Odds are your gonna get some passion and flames in next week's email inbox and the forums.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Anyway, I was interested because one of the Answer Fans mentioned Saya no Uta. For that Answer Fan, if he sees it - is that game PG regarding sex? I want to start playing VNs, but I want to be sure that I'm importing games that are 100% legal here in Canada - meaning no hentai scenes with little girls. I tried looking it up, and it didn't mention that it was an eroge, but it didn't say it wasn't either.
Saya no Uta has sex scenes with an underage looking girl. If you still feel like importing it and the game is stopped by the border control, you can tell them that she is not a little girl, spoiler[but an intelligent creature from the other universe that does not really look like a little girl].

Edit: Checked the box art for Saya no Uta. You can't tell from the box art that the game has loli stuff, so importing it should be pretty safe.

Last edited by 4nBlue on Fri May 29, 2009 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
And finally, just to mess with people's minds, I'd make the licensing announcement at OMGCon.

...someone else here knows about that con? Holy crap. Amazing. D: Are you going this year?

On topic, I can't believe someone honestly believed that obviously fake DN joke from AI. I would've made that the flake of the week. Anime hyper (no offense to the person who asked, of course)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Haha that's awesome that someone actually somewhat believed that Ben Stiller would play Light. I hear that they're also going to bring Marlon Brando back from the dead to play Light's Dad. Just goes to show you that anime fans take things way, way, too seriously.

No, the game is not PG regarding sex. My girlfriend and myself are intimate, but it was still a little awkward to click through with someone else around.

That said, the scenes actually have a point, should you choose to play and finish the game. Saya really gave me the creeps, in an awesome look-over-your-shoulder-in-a-dark-room kinda way. The story is absolutely fantastic- and will only take you about 4 hours or so to complete. The soundtrack is also something else for setting the mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsbzP1AVS4k

And the visuals! (Gore-covered walls warning) http://koti.phnet.fi/jukhai/Dystopia/saya-no-uta.jpg

If you want an amazing visual novel with no sex though, I would recommend Ever17: The Out of Infinity. It will blow your mind. Then scatter the fragments to the wind, leaving you in a state much like nirvana. It's a long one, you'll probably have to clock at least 35 hours to finish it, but to this day it has the best plot of anything I have ever read, watched, etc.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
What's wrong with the name "Bugmaster"? I think it's a faithful and fitting translation of Mushishi (蟲師), and sounds about as cool as you're gonna get it. That is, unless you'd prefer something like "The Insect Meister".

Except that "mushi" aren't bugs or insects, the author just uses that kanji.

Quote:
what? Geeks are far more likely to enjoy Serial Experiments Lain, Denno Coil, or Noein. fantasy? shonen like FMA? no. although party-centric fantasy like Druaga, Lodoss War, and .hack// may interest them.

You've got a limited definition of "geeks." Most geeks I know (we prefer the term nerds) like fantasy series as well. And Cowboy Bebop is what I'd show to anyone who was a Firefly fan. THe two have a very similar feel.

Also, I think Serial Experiments Lain would actually make most people who aren't into anime never want to watch another show again. I personally feel it's a confused, garbled mess that never pans out into anything. And even if you think it isn't, it's way too mind-trippy to be a first series. Even Noein might be a bit much, as much as I love it. Cowboy Bebop is a much surer bet, especially with the excellent dub.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri May 29, 2009 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
That comic was fantastic. I almost had to stop because "poop butt" made me laugh so hard. So glad I read that. Laughing
Quark

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:

No, the game is not PG regarding sex. My girlfriend and myself are intimate, but it was still a little awkward to click through with someone else around.

That said, the scenes actually have a point, should you choose to play and finish the game. Saya really gave me the creeps, in an awesome look-over-your-shoulder-in-a-dark-room kinda way. The story is absolutely fantastic- and will only take you about 4 hours or so to complete. The soundtrack is also something else for setting the mood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsbzP1AVS4k

And the visuals! (Gore-covered walls warning) http://koti.phnet.fi/jukhai/Dystopia/saya-no-uta.jpg

If you want an amazing visual novel with no sex though, I would recommend Ever17: The Out of Infinity. It will blow your mind. Then scatter the fragments to the wind, leaving you in a state much like nirvana. It's a long one, you'll probably have to clock at least 35 hours to finish it, but to this day it has the best plot of anything I have ever read, watched, etc.

Ooh, thanks for the tip about Ever17. I saw that one on a few websites, and it meets my criteria of not being an eroge. Since you recommend it so highly, I might check that one out.
Personally, I don't have an issue with H-scenes, but the fact that there tend to be underage characters in those games does bother me, especially when you consider that VCP is illegal in Canada. I realize that J-List claims that most of their eroges feature only 18+ characters, but...I dunno...
Saya no Uta really does look creepy though. The weird gory scenery looks awesome, and I bet it would be nice and spooky to play that game alone in the dark.
I think Ever17, and maybe the first Higurashi game might make for a good first VN.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
just to be clear, "Poop Butt" is the name of my ipod.

i am twelve years old

Ahahahhah!! I have a feeling that we would get along well in person.

And now I've made my possibly creepy-sounding post for the day!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
If I was the head honcho of a major US anime company, I would do what has been and should be done more oftern: Licensed simulcast subbed anime. Why? As someone who watches both legitimately viewable and pirated dubs/fansubs, I feel it is important to contribute to the anime industry. We otaku seem to take advantage like anime is a right we can just have or a luxury we rip off of. It's a privilege because the animators spend dozens of hours a week working on something that takes months to produce.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
And Cowboy Bebop is what I'd show to anyone who was a Firefly fan. THe two have a very similar feel.

That doesn't always work - I showed Bebop to two separate Firefly fans for that reason, and they both found it boring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
heh, firefly and FarScape? See, my 'Scaper friends eventually got me to try something called Cowboy Bebop. I had some familarity with RoboTech long ago, but that one is a double edged sword... and then I just kept going from there... these days I'm not watching much live action at all.

So I thought it was kinda funny that Matt suggested the very route I took, even though I'm an old guy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Flake of the Week ftw Anime hyper
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Ok, the bell just rung and I have to get out of this classroom, so I'll make this fast. Smile

The thought of Zac Efron as Light makes my pants happy. Smile

Did anybody else notice that Brian looked like he had a boner in the 5th panel?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4