• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Detroit Gravitation City

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitano360

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Jack Ill Dark isn't based on Ozzy Osbourne, he is based on Gene Simmons.

Ironically, if what I heard is correct, Jack Ill Dark appears in the live action movie, and is played by Gene Simmons.

This is true. Gene Simmons does indeed play the character in the live-action film (which was quite faithful to the manga).
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
So excited about Clover! Smile

But is it really complete in 3 volumes? I seem to recall someone saying it was still unfinished...

well as complete as its going to get :/
Like...Clover was going to be a series split into 4 parts. the Main important part is one and the other 3 were basically prequels to get the whole story.

however, the magazine that was publishing Clover ran out of business so only 3 of the 4 parts were ever made. But its not really all that important. so its not like Clover ends on a horrible cliffhanger or anything. I thought it was complete for the longest time, until I read an interview saying otherwise.

CLAMP said they would like to finish it if the opportunity ever came. but that's what they've said about all the other series they've ever put on hiatus. so who knows when that'll be :/

I bought my copy of Clover <3 I love it to pieces, it's definitely the prettiest book on my shelf Anime hyper
Pandy Wandy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I bought my copy of Clover <3 I love it to pieces, it's definitely the prettiest book on my shelf Anime hyper

I totally agree! I was actually in Barnes & Noble Saturday night buying another book when I was stopped in my tracks by the shiny Clover cover. The designer in me sighed happily as I flipped through the gorgeous (with plenty of colorful) pages with crisp layouts.

I applaud Dark Horse for the production quality of this release and for rescuing it from out-of-print oblivion. As for the content, I haven't read Clover yet. But I hope the story is worth the hype.

Last edited by Pandy Wandy on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Bara_Megami wrote:
I just read 20th Century Boys #1, and I really enjoyed it, but I just don't see how it can be 22 volumes (if the encyclopedia is right)! I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Sorta. In fact it's more like 24 volumes, as the story is only properly finished in 21st Century Boys. As to how it can go on for so long - never underestimate Urasawas ability to make a story keep on going. No matter how many weird plot twists he has to introduce.

Actually, he has a very simple and sure-fire technique that worked in both Moster and 20th/21st Century Boys to keep things going, a technique that is one of the signature Urasawa traits at this point (highlight at your own risk): spoiler[Let the villain win. Again and again and again...]

By the way, does anyone know why the last two volumes have a different title? They're essentially a direct continuation of the story. Without them, you don't have the Big Finale, the loose ends wrapped up, or one of the big mysteries of the series explained. Was there a copyright snafu ala Trigun Maximum?
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Well we all have our shameful vices and whatnot in the fandom. Anyway, I invested money and time into it and so for better or worse I'll ride Gravitation out to the bitter end.

And I'm not going to be surprised if I'm the only one in this thread who has such thoughts but anyway.. these are pretty much my thoughts when I found about this Vol 1 & 2 bundle thing: "Jesus Christ quit [expletive] me around Tokyopop and get on those other volumes of Ex already."

I realize I don't really need to say it since it's so obvious but it's one thing for a company to just up & ignore a series they've been working on and just leave it hanging. It's quite another thing for them to basically shove the fact that they're ignoring it in your face.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, that almost sounded like a rant on the bad parts of Clover. Still, my inner CLAMP fan girl demands to find and buy a copy of it soon. I remember looking for scanlations of it once and I had the hardest time trying to find them.
And I agree with Nightschool, too many characters too fast. But hopefully it'll move into better pacing as the story goes along, it's probably because this is going to be a much longer series than Svet has done so far.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm another one voting for skipping the Gravitation manga and watching the anime. Though some of the songs in the anime are horrible, there are a couple good ones. And the voice actors in it (the Japanese ones) make the story work in ways the cluttered manga does not.

But to anyone new, if you don't like cluttered manic stories that can be headache inducing, you may want to skip the series entirely. This one is a match made in heaven for the rabid teen yaoi fangirls. However, there are now much better BL series out there for adults.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
That “Clover” review. I didn’t understand the back cover or the Evidence For. Literally. I didn’t know what half those words meant. Anime smile; What’s a black-ops and a waif? What’s baroque? I had to look those words up. First and foremost, make sure your customer understands you!

-reads Wikipedia section on Plot in the article for “Clover”-

Thank you, Wikipedia. And to think, if I saw this book in a store, I wouldn’t have been remotely interested if I hadn’t read this nice, clear summary!

Hey, is this some sort of pun? Does the word “suu” have something to do with clovers? Because Suu from Shugo Chara the one with the club so... Great. Now I gotta know. Is it coincidence, or something more? And sorry, but I ended up skipping the Evidence For. Too flowery.

Oh, Gravitation! That BL where one of the boys looks like a girl so it’s almost kinda pointless that it’s a BL in the first place! I remember that! I’ve never watched nor read it, but all I know is that it had some nice songs. I think. I really like Easy Action, but I’m not sure if it’s connected to Gravitation or not. Now, I’m not a fan of reading scanlations when something is officially released, but I DO like to get a preview. I tried reading the first few pages, but the art was a little weird, so I stopped.

Yeah. Shows how much patience -I- have.

I read the first volume of Svetlana Chmakova’s Dramacon. It was a little interesting, but it was too much like reading a webcomic. Everything was over the top. There was too much narration. Has no one told her of “show, not tell”? Don’t have the main character tell us her heart was breaking! Show it! And I really didn’t like the art style. And the chibis! Why so many?! It was funny, but she shouldn’t try for dramatic.

(Schools may lock up for the night, but class is in session for an entirely diferent set of students. In the Nightschool, vampires, werewolves, and weirns (a particular breed of witches) learn the fundamentals of everything from calculus to spell casting.)

No relation to the Night Class of “Vampire Knight”?

(P.S. Still looking for reviews on the Most Overrated Series. Come on, everyone’s got one!)

You aren’t really looking. For when you see it, you’ll wish you’d never searched it out. You don’t really want me to write a review bashing Naruto publicly, do you? You don’t want an outrage.

Someone just said that BL fans should consider maybe even completely skipping Gravitation. I’m not a BL fan in the least, so I’m not missing out at all, right?
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I'm another one voting for skipping the Gravitation manga and watching the anime. Though some of the songs in the anime are horrible, there are a couple good ones. And the voice actors in it (the Japanese ones) make the story work in ways the cluttered manga does not.

But to anyone new, if you don't like cluttered manic stories that can be headache inducing, you may want to skip the series entirely. This one is a match made in heaven for the rabid teen yaoi fangirls. However, there are now much better BL series out there for adults.

The manga gets better in later volumes, especialy on the humor and artwork. Plus the ending feels more complete. Considering I'm not a yaoi fan I like how it isn't all that serious. My only problem with it really was that I think I wanted to kill just about every character in that series (except K who is amazing)
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

Hey, is this some sort of pun? Does the word “suu” have something to do with clovers? Because Suu from Shugo Chara the one with the club so... Great. Now I gotta know. Is it coincidence, or something more?

"suu" is the chinese word for 4. as in "four-leafed clover"
Bdig85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
With Gravitation, I think it makes a difference if you read the manga before watching the anime. I liked the anime, but I much prefer the manga. It didn't really capture the spirit of the manga well enough. The OAV was much better though. Yeah, the series got kinda wacky later, but at least the author acknowledged the insanity by having the characters themselves stop and say something like, "This is getting out of hand, isn't it?" No, it's not the best series ever, but I still love it.

As for Clover, I could never get into it. I got bored. It's beautiful but that's about it. Not CLAMP's best in my opinion.
alpha_beta_angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the DMC...I am not the intended demographic and I was originally surprised how likeable and entertaining I found it to be. It really is fun.
and I think the art adds to the charm of the series.

And yes, Jack Ill Dark was played by Gene Simmons, that is because "Detroit Metal City" in name is a direct reference to KISS and their similarly named song.

Personally, I have no interest in Clover, "Suki" was CLAMP at their best for me and the rest just seems to be "pretty art" for the fans.

Altorrin wrote:

No relation to the Night Class of “Vampire Knight”?

That is indeed what was being alluded to here:
Quote:
Certain intimations of a dark dual personality, and a band of vampire hunters who are Just Too Cool For You, also appear to be pulled straight out of the action-fantasy-drama playbook. Seriously, if any amnesiacs or cross-dressers show up, it's all over.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
alpha_beta_angel wrote:
I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the DMC...I am not the intended demographic and I was originally surprised how likeable and entertaining I found it to be. It really is fun.
and I think the art adds to the charm of the series.

Agreed! Very Happy I was really looking forward to the English-language release. I have my fingers crossed in hopes that Viz will release the live-action movie sooner or later.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Carlo Santos wrote:
...there are only so many wacky episodic situations available before Krauser and friends had better start doing something. Yes, Negishi, this means something other than accidentally lapsing into Krauser mode when you're in front of a cute girl, a gag that wears itself out by about the halfway mark. The obsession with killing and raping as a comedic device wears itself out pretty quickly as well, like most varieties of lowbrow humor...

All of the above is objectively false.

Especially the last part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Carlo Santos wrote:
...there are only so many wacky episodic situations available before Krauser and friends had better start doing something. Yes, Negishi, this means something other than accidentally lapsing into Krauser mode when you're in front of a cute girl, a gag that wears itself out by about the halfway mark. The obsession with killing and raping as a comedic device wears itself out pretty quickly as well, like most varieties of lowbrow humor...

All of the above is objectively false.

Especially the last part.

I think "objectively" doesn't mean what you think it does. Whether something is funny or not is in its very essence subjective, not objective. You cannot "prove" via argument or evidence that something is funny or not, it varies from person-to-person.

(One is, of course, entirely entitled to make judgments on the maturity level of the person finding something funny, though...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3