• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actress Noriko Sakai Arrested After Turning Herself In

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I also thought she looked young for 38, but with the drugs, I'm gonna have to say she'll look old soon enough.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
At least this wasn't the worst case scenario. She's in a spot of bother, but still alive and safe. Her health is now our primary concern- I can but speculate how her personal situation will change over time.

dormcat wrote:
Many Japanese anime fans have already noticed this guy and the flier in his hand. Cool

A pleasant fad seems to have been born, albeit presumably a transient one. Do tacos and otaku mix?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
At least she is alive - which is a good thing...
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
At least this wasn't the worst case scenario. She's in a spot of bother, but still alive and safe. Her health is now our primary concern- I can but speculate how her personal situation will change over time.
Spot of bother doesn't really cover it, but yeah, at least she's alive.

Sentences for drug offenses in Japan are severe (I believe the minimum sentence for anything more than possession of trace amounts is 1+ year of hard labor and can be up to several years of prison time, plus heavy fines).

And because she was arrested, she WILL be convicted, especially since she's not likely in a position to be able to offer anything in a plea deal. Japan's conviction rate is staggeringly high, at something like 99%.

On the plus side, Japan did JUST introduce trial by jury to the legal system this past week, so maybe she'll get lucky. Of course, the first new jury trial resulted in a conviction, so maybe not.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
DON'T WORRY NoriP!!! WE STILL SUPPORT YOU!!!

Somehow, I've seen 2 of her movies without looking for them...Ju-On 2 and Yogen. So I thought she was doing well for herself, moving into the "mature" idol stage...guess not. I hope her son is alright :O
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Dp

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
oh who among us *hasn't* been busted for possession in Tokyo at one time or another in our lives...I mean look at Paul McCartney when he tried to smuggle 37 pounds of hash through Tokyo customs; I mean he's doing fine these days

Paul McCartney isn't Japanese. And trust me, that makes a huge difference.

Joe Mello wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Couldn't they be specific about what drug it was. "Illegal stimulants." Could be strong coffee for all I can tell.

(Meth)amphetamines and cocaine are two of the more illegal stimulants you're probably familiar with. Also nicotine, but I'm betting that wasn't it.

Ketamine, MDMA and PCP are among the other drugs you "can" snort. Though Ketamine isn't a stimulant. It was probably coke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
And because she was arrested, she WILL be convicted, especially since she's not likely in a position to be able to offer anything in a plea deal. Japan's conviction rate is staggeringly high, at something like 99%.

For fun with that, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_justice_system_of_Japan#Conviction_rate

Quote:
On the plus side, Japan did JUST introduce trial by jury to the legal system this past week, so maybe she'll get lucky. Of course, the first new jury trial resulted in a conviction, so maybe not.

I did a whole report on that in my Japanese class less than a year ago... in the development stage, they discovered most jury members were very unwilling to offer any opinion that differed from the judge, because they didn't trust their own knowledge of the facts.

Also, why would a jury be more likely to giver her an easier penalty than a judge would? Because she's a pop star? Do we want people to do that?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The police issued a warrant for Sakai's arrest on Friday after they reportedly found stimulants and a straw used to inhale the drugs at her residence. Police investigators allege that Sakai was a regular user after saying that they discovered traces of Sakai's DNA in the saliva on the straw.

They had her DNA on file?? Or is this after she turned herself in? (Or did they check it against something else they assumed was her DNA?)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
I didn't know one could find saliva in the nose. Wink
z7q2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
in the development stage, they discovered most jury members were very unwilling to offer any opinion that differed from the judge, because they didn't trust their own knowledge of the facts.

My pen-pal in Toei Town adds, her and many other locals simply don't want to sit in judgement of someone, they are uncomfortable with the whole idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
The Japan Times is covering the potential impact on her career as an actress.

"Arrest, drugs shatter Sakai's 'pure' image"

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090809a2.html

Japan takes drugs very seriously.

Heck if you have the most minor drug conviction on your record you can forget going to Japan, or for that mater Canada or several other countries.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Urine test "negative with stimulant." Source

Let's see if the police will conduct a hair test.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Urine test "negative with stimulant." Source

Let's see if the police will conduct a hair test.

Ah yes well it all makes sense. Assuming she used coke, it takes only two to three days for the body to metabolize the contaminants. Sometimes longer for heavy users (and that means very heavy, not likely here since her beauty would be affected.) So that explains why she disappeared for 4 or so days. She could also flush her system quicker by drinking tons of water and a little bit of bleach.

Hair testing is trickier. Although there are shampoos on the market, most are nothing more than aloe and laundry detergent. I don't claim to know the effectiveness of these, but I am sure her hair smells kind of funky at this point. Wink

I guess in Japan they don't need your permission to take a drug test. Or if they do, she might have figured she would pass the urine test, but I doubt she will give permission to take a hair sample. If they don't need permission, she should be shaking in her boots.
clyde the puffy one

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Smart girl for vanishing for a few days to flush her system.
Silly girl for not removing all the hair from her body.

Typical non sensical government drug policies and justice system.
It's o.k to drink alcohol, smoke tobacco
and fill up hospitals with preventable illnesses ,
but someone racks up a couple of lines coke and
their criminal number one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3