• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Miami Guns DVD 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neilworms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was merely stating that a well written column released with some regularity is a rarity in fandom.

Understood completely, I was just making an argument about how being too much into one thing tends to blind better judgement and critical thinking sometimes...

Quote:
Also calling Miami Guns some kind of avant-garde non "mainstream" release is nonsense.

Hehe... (as I stare at my avant-garde non mainstream anime dvd that I just bought [url=mindgame.jp/trailer/]Mindgame[/url].) :)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Everything that needs to be said probably has been, except for this-

Quote:
Sure, we don't have a Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion (yet),

If you're any indication of how your company works, I'm suprised you even got trite such as Risky Safety and Miami Guns.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone checked his verification e-mail address to see if it's a fake account or anything? I'm not saying he isn't who he says he is, but faking these kind of things isn't unheard of since he does have his site and e-mail posted publically, though most who do it aren't nearly as subtle. If it is him saying this stuff, man, that's REALLY a lack of good judgement. Sometimes I live like Mayuko on NieA_7 and I have better business sense than that.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
Has anyone checked his verification e-mail address to see if it's a fake account or anything? I'm not saying he isn't who he says he is, but faking these kind of things isn't unheard of since he does have his site and e-mail posted publically, though most who do it aren't nearly as subtle. If it is him saying this stuff, man, that's REALLY a lack of good judgement. Sometimes I live like Mayuko on NieA_7 and I have better business sense than that.

Email address confirmed to indeed be John.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
MiwaSatoshi wrote:
Akazukin Chacha, I'll Make a Habit of It, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Oniisama e, Patapata Hikousen no Bouken, Rose of Versailles, Touch, Who's Left Behind?, Yawara, Yugo the Negotiator

(But that's just personal taste speaking there isn't it? Anime smile)

Hey, I'd hit it. Cool

I'm still amased...and quite vexed...that MariMite has not been licensed yet...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, which would be an excellent title for AN Entertainment as the rights must be relatively cheap, since there are just 4 episodes of the anime, and they could put it all on one disk, or two disks, if they split the episodes into the old series and the new series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
AN could grab Pita-Ten. I know they discussed this at some point in the past. Maybe now would be a good time to go back to the bargining table.

Pita-Ten would sell huge here IMO.
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say that I appreciate the comments made in wake of John Oppliger’s remarks concerning my disappointment of Miami Guns. I was hurt really bad by Mr. Opplinger’s rude comments, because all I was doing was giving an honest opinion on one of their products. I did not intend by my comments to ridicule AN Entertainment, AnimeNation, and their employees. They do work hard in their field, and my comments about their product were more of concern, both as an anime fan and a loyal customer, of the quality of their product.

I’ve been a customer of AnimeNation for a year, and have subscribed to the services of RentAnime.com since its inception in July 2004, and I have always been satisfied with the service that they provide. So it was natural for me to anticipate watching Miami Guns based on the history of good service that AnimeNation provides, and the fact that they did a good job with their first entry, Risky Safety. I watched MG and I didn’t like it; I do have the right to voice an opinion on it. I thought that it was a disappointment because from what I read from various sources, this series was suppose to be AN Entertainment’s Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop; their “breakout” title that was suppose to make fans take notice and say, “Wow! What a great series! Who licensed it? AN Entertainment? We need to watch for them in the future,” and it didn't deliver. So you understand that by saying “AN Entertainment needs to do a better job in handling whatever title they license,” this was suppose to be taken as customer feedback, in which AN Entertainment should use to improve upon the standards that they set for themselves. I was just expressing my concern for a particular product that I felt was below the standards of their past efforts. But instead of being treated with respect and dignity, I get slapped in the face and branded as a “brainwashed mainstream anime junkie,” which greatly hurt my pride. I can tolerate this if it came from one of their sales reps or clerks, but to have it come from a man that I consider an ambassador to the global promotion of anime was absolutely disgraceful and unprofessional.

There’s no question that Mr. Oppliger has impeccable knowledge of anime. I love reading his column, despite the fact that sometimes it can be rather lengthy it’s really informative. However, he needs to show more respect for the opinions of all anime fans (not just the “English-speaking” fans), learn how to handle criticism with class and professionalism, and most importantly take whatever customer feedback received, whether it’s positive or negative, and use it to make their company better.
Ask John
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I've refrained from defending myself from the personal defamation that the majority of this discussion thread has been because I feel that it's unprofessional, and undignified. However, I will respond to Mr. Santos' post because I believe that he does deserve an appropriate, personal response. This response is intended to be objective and rational. There is no personal animosity intended toward Mr. Santos whatsoever.

Mr. Santos has stated that his intention was to critique, "The quality of their product," namely Miami Guns DVD volume 4. Considering that the published review basically covered only the animation and the English dubbing, not the entire localization, we saw this review as a criticism of only select aspects of the release, not a comprehensive product review.

Although the number of positive reviews of Miami Guns on the web outnumber the negative reviews by several times, AN Entertainment is not opposed to negative reviews. We conceeded when Mike Toole accused the show of being un-funny and not realistic enough. We said nothing when ANN's Bamboo Dong retracted her positive review of Miami Guns and preceeded to bash the show mercilessly. But in the case of this review, we were personally offended by what we percieved to be a personal attack on the credibility of AN Entertainment as an anime licensor and distributor. We've since been accused of being unprofessional and not living up to the standards set by other localization companies. If AN Entertainment is guilty of being run by anime fans that actually care about the anime we localize and care about the way our titles are recieved by the fan community, and such circumstances are considered unprofessional, we appologize.

Furthermore, we apologize on behalf of whatever sources from which Mr. Santos got the impression that Miami Guns was to be AN Entertainment's, "'Breakout' title that was suppose to make fans take notice and say, 'Wow! What a great series! Who licensed it?'." We firmly believe in the quality of Miami Guns and the quality of its localization. We regret that some anime fans believe otherwise. However, while we hoped that everyone would share our opinion of the show, it's Haré+Guu that we hope will be our Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop. We knew that Miami Guns was an obscure title and, while we hoped it would be a breakout hit, weren't surprised when it was largely ignored by the fan community.

In respect to absorbing and applying fan and consumer criticisms, we like to think that our company is founded on that principle and will continue to do so in the future. With both Risky Safety and Miami Guns, we've done out utmost to satisfy evey possible fan request, including retaining the unaltered original Japanese DVD cover art; highly accurate translations; extensive translation notes; employing a fan favorite dubbing studio for Risky Safety and employing the studio that ANN called the best in the industry to dub Miami Guns; not only creating a hard collector's box for Risky Safety, but even being the only company in the American industry to include the box for no extra charge.

We are disappointed to be accused of lacking in professionalism and accused of not living up to the standards of other distributors in our industry. However, if living up to the standards of our industry include utilizing our own employees as voice actors, excluding translation and liner notes, using poorly translated and incomplete translations, not using original Japanese DVD cover art or using censored Japanese DVD cover art, altering original music, editing footage, and using digital overlays, then AN Entertainment will prefer to establish its own standards instead of "living up" to the standards of other distributors.

We apologize for any ill will our public reaction to Mr. Santos' criticism may have caused. We intended to address the review, not the reviewer. Likewise we intended our reply to address a collective market, not individuals.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:
I think our titles are just fine, thank you, unless you're a brainwashed mainstream anime junkie that classifies quality on the basis of how many fanboys like something.
John Oppliger
AN Entertainment
Pot-calling-kettle here me thinks. Rolling Eyes
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I said it in a prior thread, and I will say it again: Comments like these makes me wonder why I even bother getting into the anime hobby. I didn't realize there were certain standards you must follow in order to be a fan. Sad
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
As an actor in a city with several foolish reviewers and no good ones, I've learned that the best response to a review you think is poor (if you and yours are the ones reviewed) is a lofty, indifferent silence. Stiff upper lip, not trembling lower lip. Long, sniffling responses are for fans, not pros. Otherwise you look petulant and silly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I said it in a prior thread, and I will say it again: Comments like these makes me wonder why I even bother getting into the anime hobby. I didn't realize there were certain standards you must follow in order to be a fan. Sad

Of course there are. Now, hand over your membership and never purchase a DVD again, AN Entertainment demands it.
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
biliano wrote:

Of course there are. Now, hand over your membership and never purchase a DVD again, AN Entertainment demands it.

Hehehe... Thanks, man. I needed a good laugh. Very Happy
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
You know, I would have thought that if you were going to try and break into the "big time" (or whatever), you wouldn't use yet another incredibly annoying "comedy".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4