• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Posting Songs in Videos on niconico

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Sacred Blood wrote:
In 2020:
''Man arrested for breathing copyrighted air.''
Just saying....

Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Japanese police cracking down more and more on infringement cases like this one, though I'll admit an arrest does seem a bit excessive considering the lack of physicality to the crime (I think fines are appropriate for first-time offenders, maybe saving arrests for repeat offenders instead). Then again, it's possible the scale of the infringement may have been a deciding factor behind the arrest, since 500 songs is really pushing the envelope by anyone's standards.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
Boy they must be SO LITTLE CRIME IN JAPAN for them to be harassing citizens like this! What an ideal little Country!

This and arresting a guy for selling fanmade AKB48 bodypillows really tells me that they have too many police officers and budget for the amount of crime they have. They're just trying to find something to do.

Watch Odoru Daisōsasen/Bayside Shakedown for a look at why the Japanese Police are top heavy.
xstylus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
However, when it comes to real crime, they have to be one of the least effective units on the planet. There's someone out there sending funky chemicals to locations where the KnB creator apparently once touched or plans to touch, but instead they're just going to concentrate on the AMV creator.

I don't think the guy was an AMV or MAD creator. Unless the guy's a savant there's no way he'd have made 500 AMVs or MADs in such little time. Again, going by what I gather from the article, the guy just uploaded music and merely put a few images on the video track. Zero creative brainpower involved.

Still, there is a valid question posed now on whether AMV or MAD creators in Japan under threat.

Last edited by xstylus on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
However, when it comes to real crime, they have to be one of the least effective units on the planet. There's someone out there sending funky chemicals to locations where the KnB creator apparently once touched or plans to touch, but instead they're just going to concentrate on the AMV creator.

I don't think the guy was an AMV or MAD creator. Unless the guy's a savant there's no way he'd have made 500 AMVs or MADs in such little time. Again, going by what I gather from the article, the guy just uploaded music and merely put a few images on the video track. Zero creative brainpower involved.

And even so, thats a very standard thing that people do... theres probably tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people that do that. Why arrest this guy? Its just to send a message, not because this guy is any kind of hardcore criminal.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Watch Odoru Daisōsasen/Bayside Shakedown for a look at why the Japanese Police are top heavy.

kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
Isn't that par for the course for most people in the states except on youtube and with any and every type of media not just anime? I guess it's lucky the police here have more to occupy their time with...

No, not at all. You aren't immediately arrested like this guy was. Persons or providers would get sent a C&D and it would get taken down. It mostly remains a civil case, involving fines NOT jail time, until there's profit or counterfeiting involved.

That was my point....
xstylus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
configspace wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
Isn't that par for the course for most people in the states except on youtube and with any and every type of media not just anime? I guess it's lucky the police here have more to occupy their time with...

No, not at all. You aren't immediately arrested like this guy was. Persons or providers would get sent a C&D and it would get taken down. It mostly remains a civil case, involving fines NOT jail time, until there's profit or counterfeiting involved.

That was my point....

And as was pointed out in the first post, this is probably Japan's new anti-piracy law at work. It's no longer just a civil case there, that law made it a criminal offense as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:

And as was pointed out in the first post, this is probably Japan's new anti-piracy law at work. It's no longer just a civil case there, that law made it a criminal offense as well.

Piracy has always been criminal in Japan. But previously it only applied to uploads. The new law added downloads too.
gorilla491

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-'". . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ":,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:". . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . ."~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . "~,_. . . .."~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . ."=,_. . . ."-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~"; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . ."=-._. . .";,,./`. . /" . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . .."~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-"
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2