• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Live at Budo-Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'm always jealous of some of the musical acts you American's get. I would of killed to see Boom Boom Satellites live...
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Despite any of the issues listed on this article, I'm still jealous of all you people who get to even hear them , of any quality. Outside of Chicago, there's no where in the Midwest that gets anything even really related to video game/anime music. I'd die if anyone big came to this part of the country. Always remember, something is better than nothing. (Usually )

troof. Actually, I can remember when I was first going to ACEN and the consensus was that if you want an Anime convention in the Midwest you went to ACEN and that was IT. Since then, some degree of local cons have certainly sprung up and grown. That being said, Chicago is your typical "big city" in the area - yes, that cuts both ways but unfortunately Chicago sometimes seems to just have a lot of klout in that regard.( I recall that Shinichi Watanabe was well known for going to ACEN in order to not only take in the con but also trek into the city of Chicago itself and "hit the clubs" or whatever) - even as someone from that area, I feel your pain >.>

Music at conventions is great/not great - I remember A LOT of bellyaching about bands at ACEN and the con becoming "the concert con" - is this a trend now? I don't know.

I was at The Pillows concert and it was excellent fun. I don't ENJOY concerts and don't particularly LIKE going to them but I still had a good time. So, maybe I'm also oblivious to what makes a decent concert as it's something I don't normally do.

Also, the article seems to suggest that cons are becoming larger and more inclusive. I mean, I know that there is some "fan-bleed" these days and you see more Doctor Who at Anime conventions than one used to but are we headed toward more colossal all-in-one-style "nerd cons"? If my memory serves me correctly, Anime conventions spun out of sci-fi conventions to begin with. So, are they being reabsorbed now?

Honestly, I love many things - but chiefly Anime, Videogames, and Japanese culture. It does sometimes bother me to see anything else getting clumped in there but I don't know. Maybe it makes more sense to cater to all the fandoms you can at once?

I swear I did not originally intend to post thissmuch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
phoenix7240 wrote:
the kalafina act at anime boston 2009 was my first concert and i must admit it was a magical experience

Badum tish. XD
seanhiruki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
I was glad to hang out with you at Otakon, mike. Sadly I missed the concerts.
To be honest the only concert I went to at Otakon was the Yoshida Brothers one a few years ago. I sadly missed the JAM Project one.

It is actually a nice surprise to see Japanese rock bands hit it off in the US. The top three I can name are Guitar Wolf, Electric Eel Shock and Tak Matsumoto's B'z. I wish Detroit7 was also on that list, but sadly they are still rather underground here in the states. No one else I have talked to even knows who Detroit7 is.

B'z is on the Hollywood Rock Walk, even. Tak and Koshi ishida the two main members of B'z recorded one of my favorite Steve Vai songs, "Asian Sky" So, they have been around.

Electric Eel Shock is little different. They got somewhat of a minor main stream following because of their fun loving rock and roll and their silly antics on stage.

Guitar Wolf...well it is freaking Guitar Wolf, what else can you say?

As you can tell, I stick to the Rock side of J-rock because that is what i am into. I hope I even convinced some of you to check these great bands out.
I will end this the way Guitar Wolf ends all sentences...and begins alll sentences too, really:
ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
seanhiruki wrote:

It is actually a nice surprise to see Japanese rock bands hit it off in the US. The top three I can name are Guitar Wolf, Electric Eel Shock and Tak Matsumoto's B'z. I wish Detroit7 was also on that list, but sadly they are still rather underground here in the states. No one else I have talked to even knows who Detroit7 is.
ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!

I don't know Detroit7 either. B'z I do know however and have enjoyed quite a bit - especially back when I was first getting into Japanese music.

But thank you, now I have more bands to maybe check out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DatOneGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a regular concert attender by any stretch, but I've been to my fair share of concerts, particularly in my high school days, and the Jam Project concert Saturday was by far my favorite concert that I've ever been to.

All three acts were very enjoyable, but all the non-music parts of the experience definitely put the show over the top for me. Between being there with more friends than I've ever been to a concert with, running into co-volunteers from Anime Mid-Atlanatic, having heated discussions about Natsuko Aso's outfit, rocking out to Faylan, screaming "FINAL TURN!" during the Vanguard opening, watching all the glowsticks do their thing, Crabby-chan, having an entire crowd of 20-30 somethings sing "We Are," doing the monkey to a Fukuyama Skyped-in rendition of the King Gainer opening, and a thousand other things, this concert really stood out for me.

Two things were the icing on the cake. First, my friends and I were standing right next to you (Mike Toole), yet I still mistook you for one of our heads at AMA much to my friend's chagrin. Second, the unison with which everyone was losing their voices shouting "Ga ga ga, ga ga ga GaoGaiGar!" was practically a spiritual experience.

As far as concerts in general, I've never been particularly interested in going to the concerts at anime conventions. Mostly, I would just slip into ones that weren't full to get a peak. The first one I actually stayed for was Eien Strife at AMA two years ago; unfortunately, I missed them at the last AMA. My friends dragged me to see Aya Hirano at the last Otakon, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked her performance.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The only music performance at a con I ever went to was JAM Project at Otakon 08, and that same sense of "Only for this group" is what made me and my friends head down to Baltimore for the live house performance. And, yes, it was an awesome show. Fey Lan and Natsuko Aso were both very good and worth the price for the most part, but JAM simply blew the roof off the joint.

For some reason I don't care about seeing a favorite group of mine perform at a con, but JAM Project is an exception. The only other real exception I would think of would be, maybe, PSYCHIC LOVER, but they have only appeared at one American con, I believe.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
JAM Project is an exception. The only other real exception I would think of would be, maybe, PSYCHIC LOVER, but they have only appeared at one American con, I believe.

I don't even enjoy concerts, generally, myself and whouldn't want to go.
JAM Project and PSYCHIC LOVER whould definitely be my exceptions too. - you watch Tokusatsu?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
dangerwhat wrote:
JAM Project and PSYCHIC LOVER whould definitely be my exceptions too. - you watch Tokusatsu?

I don't watch much toku, but I know of PSYCHIC LOVER mainly from their anime themes, like from Gaiking, Ring ni Kakero 1, & Dokkoida?!.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
dangerwhat wrote:

I don't watch much toku, but I know of PSYCHIC LOVER mainly from their anime themes, like from Gaiking, Ring ni Kakero 1, & Dokkoida?!.

haha good stuff~ the opening for Gaiking just gets stuck in my head from time to time xD I liked what I saw of Ring ni Kakero but I haven't seen Dokkoida?!
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
I find amusing a big number of the artist you get a cons, we get in on normal concerts... sure most of the time the venues are hole in the walls, but even if cons get attendance no matter how crappy the attendance fee doesn't seem to be enough... but to be fair TNT brought Masami Okui once...
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
For some reason I don't care about seeing a favorite group of mine perform at a con, but JAM Project is an exception. The only other real exception I would think of would be, maybe, PSYCHIC LOVER, but they have only appeared at one American con, I believe.

Two, actually, both in the DC area a few years back, and separate trips. One was around Halloween. The other was a year and a half later, I want to say, same day as the Sakura Matsuri street festival.

Not bumping, just found this while google-hopping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2