• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Halloween recomendations thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I say Le Portrait de Petit Cossette could be a good choice. It's not outright scary, but the disturbing imagery and unusual art style is most certainly macabre. It's a romance about the ghost of a murdered girl and the boy who falls in love with her, to the point where he's willing to suffer the revenge intended for her murder.
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw Le Chevalier D'Eon on the list. The overall storyline involves a young man setting out to find out the truth behind his older sister's death, and in the process unravels the story behind the French Revolution. Without giving too much away, it deals with spirits, and a series of zombie-like creatures called gargoyles. It's nice and violent, and really loves to toy with your mind.

We watched part of this on Halloween last year in our anime club, and it was a big hit, even with the non-anime fans.

I'm also going to add Gungrave. This is a story of revenge and betrayal, and trying to gain justice for those wronged. Two young friends enter the mafia at the same time, and then their lives spiral out of control in two completely separate directions. It also deals quite a lot with the undead, and pulls at your heart strings. Sufficiently creepy, I would say.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I say Le Portrait de Petit Cossette could be a good choice. It's not outright scary, but the disturbing imagery and unusual art style is most certainly macabre. It's a romance about the ghost of a murdered girl and the boy who falls in love with her, to the point where he's willing to suffer the revenge intended for her murder.
I'm going to throw a big "ditto" behind this suggestion. This series has a great atmosphere and some very creepy visuals, plus fantastic music. (Jewel continues to be a personal favorite anime song ever.)

Also, I'm going to add more votes for Higurashi: When They Cry and Ghost Hunt. Excellent series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Lunar Legend Tsukihime- Revolves around Shiki Tohno who, ever since an accident as a child, has been able to see lines on objects and people. When the lines are cut the object dies or is destroyed. One day Shiki comes accross a beautiful woman in the park is strongly compelled to brutally murder her. Writing it off as a horrible dream, he finds her waiting for him the next day. Arcuaid Brunsted claims she's a vampire and as penitence for "killing" her she forces him to help her hunt another vampire hiding out in his city.

Ghost Talker's Daydream- A dominatrix works part time as a psychic and exorcist and gets involved in several supernatural cases. This OVA is nice and short too.

Also recommended are Ghost Hunt, Portrait of Petite Cossette, Red Garden, and When They Cry which were already mentioned.
Niomo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
If you do decide to go with Higurashi no naku koro ni (When they cry), please understand this fact:

1) If you only watch the first season (HNNK ni), you will be confused as anything.

You will need to see HNNKN Kai to get the answers to all the questions.

Not sure how much time you have to invest in your pre Halloween watching, but Higuashi is my vote as well. In addition, it's 3rd season is an OVA, so you can watch that in about 2-3 hours.
BakaOnna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Mononoke. Not really Halloween themed, but it has ghost/spirits and murders happen because of them. If you like the art style, you should also try Hakaba Kitarou (2007 version) which, I think, fits more with the Halloween themes since there's a lot of weird, supernatural things. It also has quite a bit of dark humor. And both series are about 11/12 episodes long.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

Okay, it's not scary, but its theme is surrounded by Halloween which is rare in anime. Heck, for a while, I didn't think Japan recognized it as a holiday.

Given its age, I don't really need to go into the details of it, do I?

If fear factoring isn't the goal, I'd throw in my recommendation of Karin as it's an entertaining spin on the vampire lore. There's a bit of drama when the vampire hunters enter the scene... wait, did I just say drama? Nevermind. Watch it for a few chuckles.

Unfortunately, nothing in my collection screams "fear", so I can't really offer anything else. Hell Girl may be okay, but it's not really scary. More of a repetition of people requesting others go to hell. Some of the "scare tactics" used on the victims are okay, but not enough to make teenage girls scream at night.

Boo!
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Not one of my favorites but from what I've seen of it moonphase has a halloween feel to it, inasmuch as it has vampires and sets a classic monster movie type mood. People seem to really love to bash it as well, which could potentially make it fun to watch in a group.

Another show to watch might be shikabane hime (horror themed anime about girls fighting vengeful ghosts) which could potentially be considered genuinely scary.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Hell Girl isn't really that creepy, despite the name. Most episodes also aren't very uplifting, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a fun-with-friends party. Don't get me wrong, I think it's very much worth watching, just that it would fit better in another anime night that isn't especially festive.

I don't know if we'd call our anime Halloween nights "festive", we just go for the horror theme. In terms of what else I'm bringing, Zodiac isn't particularly scary either, but it fits the theme (following the case of a real life serial killer), not to mention it's another brilliant David Fincher film (my friends have loved The Game and Se7en, so they should like this one as well). We watched Blair Witch Project last year and enjoyed it, movies/anime don't have to have happy endings/atmosphere for us to enjoy it, it would take a "Requiem for a Dream"-level downer ending for us to get depressed. Heck we finished Gundam 0080 one night and all agreed it was excellent (sad, but still excellent). Then we all went on to play Wii and the fun continued.

I know my group of friends (5, including me) pretty well, so I know what they'll enjoy (but they seem to trust my judgment the most, the others have brought titles that met mixed reactions, but I've brought Ghost Hunt, School Rumble, Gundam 0080, Baccano, and Kino's Journey, and they were well-recieved by all my friends). Hell Girl fits the sort of theme that would meet our criteria (anything horror, thriller, suspense, and/or supernatural), so it should work.

Sorry to get somewhat OT, just explaining my reasoning.
Hankukmi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
Kakurnbo is a 25 minute movie about kids playing a high stakes game of hide and seek with japanese demon spirits. Very cool, very creepy.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Zero Gravity, doctordoom, please be sure to let us know which animes you finally went with!
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Definietly Perfect Blue. get that. It's a classic anime movie.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
So it is now 2016. Has 2011-5 presented any good anime fit for Halloween? (Please, no unannotated listing. Thank you.)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:08 am Reply with quote
Halloween's almost here and I've just heard about a unique anime that's almost appropriate for this time of year. It's called "How To Keep a Mummy" and it sounds like something you'll probably enjoy a lot. It's about a teenager named Sora who's gotten a lot of gifts from his globe-trotting father. And,needless to say,they didn't work out. But,he get's a surprise from him in the form of a mummy. And,it's not the tall,threatening kind,but the small,cute kind.
He gives it the name Mii-kun and basically looks after it. It isn't long before his other friends get creatures of their own to care for:An oni child,a dragon,and a thing that eats people's nightmares in the most adorable way possible. Later,he and his friends have to defend their cute monster pals from collectors who don't really care about them and only want them for the yen.

I recently saw clips of this show on YouTube and I gotta say,I like it. It seems like a good premise and the kawaii factor is off the charts here and from what I saw,that's not a bad thing. It's the sort of show that seems guaranteed to give you a cuteness overload and if you really want to know,it's not the worst thing in the world. I admit,it's a little weird to see something like a mummy as something other than creepy,but this show seems to do a good job making this and many of the other creatures as adorable as possible.
In fact,I wouldn't be surprised if you have to go to the dentist after seeing this show,just in case you need to check for cavities from watching it. I hope this gets an English dub soon. I'd really like that and I think it would make this show even better than it is already. There are those out there who might not like cute things. Then,this anime ain't going to be for you. But,if you are able to withstand all the Sanrio-like sweetness,then go check this out. I promise,it's an unexpectedly cute show for Halloween and if you're able to,you might just enjoy it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Mummy was a very cute and entertaining show.

I nominate this week's Halloween episode of GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018). You might want to start watching from episode 27 for the full context, but it's not really needed for this episode.

Episode 20 of Kitarou remains my "episode of the year" for its frank portrayal of Japanese imperialism before and during WWII and of how Japanese educational institutions have lied to students about Japan's role. The main middle-school girl character states her belief the US invaded Japan, and the Japanese surrendered. It was clear she had never heard of Pearl Harbor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2