• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sora no Otoshimono/Heaven's Lost Property (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That's probably what's going to happen. Right now, all my money is on a "dark" ending. And according to that ending, Ikaros should die or simply disappear from the protagonist's life; if not, I'll be disappointed

Certainly not going to happen, the anime should finish up around chapter 15 of the manga, chapter 32 is the latest manga chapter and 31 seems to be a good stopping point for the (more than likely) second season.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
EP 10 SPOILER WARNING
Funny, it's only posters here from What Are You Watching... Smile (where I just posted my thumbnail impression).

Thought I would expound a little more, having caught up to ep 10 now, because this is one of those series that I really want to like more and frustrates me because I think there is potential being wasted. Maybe... I haven't tried finding the manga, but with the amount of creativity I've seen so far, that shouldn't have mattered really in this case.

SPOILAGE
So in ep 10 we get a pretty tough moment with Nymph and her bird. We're talking Now and Then Here and There level of tough.

We also have a potential Haruhi Lost My Music stage moment, and should have. If it's been done before, the only choice is to do it better, more grand, more stunning or just somehow distinctly different. Ikaros's singing wasn't bad, just wasn't equal or better, so a bit of a letdown. Even an amazing Nymph keyboard riff would have elevated it. Though the silence and crowd faces were well timed. And I did enjoy Tomoki's opener...

These two examples somewhat represent my feelings for the series. There are some striking moments, and several LOL moments, and some real originality. But it just doesn't come together somehow. While some bits stand out even now, a lot of them seem just a bit "off" or half-hearted, or badly timed/paced... something. Loving the little opening vignettes with Mikako as Sugata's new assistant, though. "Dog, you're in on this too?"

The other aspect is tone, the balancing. Overall pacing seems awkward. We're getting some reveal on the plot, but we don't get much, and it seems interjected rather than organic. Nymph's horrendous moment should have had much more impact and would have if the show had properly led us to it.

Maybe because only Ikaros and Nymph are involved in the plot so far. We have no development of the characters in the sky beyond a stock villain. Besides Ikaros about to go medieval a couple of times, there are no clues for anyone else. The easy acceptance of two girls with wings who can melt rocks and play keyboards is fine for comedy, but if we're headed for a more meaty story, doesn't really fit.

Anyway, I'm savoring those occasional moments of original wackiness, enjoying the visuals, growling at Tomoki's annoying constant chibiness, wondering if the drama plot was worth doing at all, and still sticking in there. But I'm thinking this first season isn't going to result in much, leaving only the hope of a second season to raise the overall impression.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
Interesting comments, pparker. I agree with virtually everything you say, with the exception that even with all your reservations, you seem to like the series more than I do. Up until the introduction of Nymph, this title was on the cusp of my "drop" list, but she pushed me over the edget of "stick with it." I usally find a few things each eppie to chuckle at so that keeps me going.

Ugh, the infamous bird scene. This is one of the marvels of anime...it will dare to put something in that you wouldn't necessarily expect. I'm of two minds about it: on the one hand I can applaud the willingness to try something unexpected but on the other hand, given what the tone of the series has been so far, does something like that really "fit?" I don't know.

Anyway, my favourite part of the eppie was when we see Prez with her guitar for the first time and she's totally rocking out. She's one of my favourite characters (because along with "brats" like Nymph, I love cheerfully cruel beauties like Prez).
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ugh, the infamous bird scene... does something like that really "fit?"

That's the issue for me, too. Given more setup, maybe, more focus on the plot, it would have fit better. Just seems like a shock tactic this way. It succeeds in short-handing the degree of evil of the antagonist and warns the viewer of how dark the story can go later. But it too abruptly clashes with the tone and context of the series thus far and so loses its impact.

Blood- wrote:
Anyway, my favourite part of the eppie...

I also noticed that Smile. Frankly, Mikako is my top favorite right now. It's not a good sign that I am more interested in her and Sugata's interactions than anything else.

Which reminds me... she has this huge yakuza organization on call, and they are intentionally triggered, then don't fire in this ep. My other thought was: why anyway is she attending the commoner's school instead of the private academy next door? Maybe yakuza daughters aren't welcome, but still... And those things wouldn't even occur to me if I were really engaged.

Yes, there are some little shows that I consider gems against all reason, but don't think I'm overly enthusiastic about this one now. I could not in good conscience recommend it at this point.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
I think the manga did balance things better though Nymph's initial appearance with her beating the crap of Ikaros (and than getting raped by Ikaros) is a "wtf just happened to this manga lol?" moment.

Chapters have been rearranged and merged and Nymph has been included in many chapters that happened before she was showed up. Her first appearance happened after the "Ikaros lies" incident which didn't happen at that fair or whatever. She went to go buy something and while traveling Nymph jumps her. She comes back "unlocked" and while she was out Tomoki and the gang had planned to throw a party for her being there for one year. She got back so late that only Tomoki remained and she lied about how she got her bruises by saying she flew into a tree. Of course after the she sees the "Happy Birthday" decorations and than breaks down and cries on Tomoki.

Than it goes into what is now going to be episode 11 which is imo in manga form the funniest chapter yet and what I thought was going to be the dvd only episode. Anyway Nymph shouldn't have been at the beach in episode 6, the shooting game episode, the Ikaros goes to school episode etc.

The manga is pretty much stuck on arcs now with episodic comedy chapters in between.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I think the manga did balance things better though Nymph's initial appearance with her beating the crap of Ikaros (and than getting raped by Ikaros) is a "wtf just happened to this manga lol?" moment.

WTF, indeed! Gawd, and I thought the bird thing was over the top.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Chapters have been rearranged and merged and Nymph has been included in many chapters that happened before she was showed up....

This helps, actually. I recall feeling she seemed kind of stuck in there standing around sometimes, just an extra character for fanservice. She's not really contributing much--her plot points weren't that well executed--and not being developed. From what you say, she would have shown up way too late in a one-cour anime. So the development of both her character and the plot would suffer.

Do you recommend the manga? I do enjoy the writing. It's often pretty clever and funny. I rarely read manga, but might catch up with this one if it's enough superior to the anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
What no one is likeing the bird part, I thought it was an intersting way to develop character. It was a bit of a shock, but it is not like this series really does what it should, need I mention panty bombs and nipple song. I feel like I should expect from the series for it to feel really uneven, and added things for the hell of it.

The series seems to have an odd style of following the order of a small amount of drama, wacked out comedy then all of a suden the comedy can turn serious. I like how Ikaros has recently developed, one of my favirout type of characters are the ones who try to hide how dangerous they are in fear of scaring people.

I am quite enjoying this series, it reminds me of Inukami in a few ways, we get censored wang about the same amount, lead gets punished often, though there is less macho men.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching season 1 not long ago. At first I wasn't too sure what I was going to think of Tomoki's seiyuu after being bored of Keiichi Maibara from Higurashi, but his voice actually does a pretty good job. As some mentioned earlier his chibi form kinda made me head scratch at first but it really grew on me. I also like the supporting characters a lot. I also find Satsukitane hilarious.

Going into this I was really just expecting a mindless ecchi but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I was going to. I was actually interested in the plot (not that it's anything new) and i started growing fond for characters. Still though the dramatic random darkness really caught me off guard towards the end. I mean I know they hinted what was going on, but geez. I feel like I may have seen some conversation of this in other threads before, but man has anyone seen the director's cut of the last episode? Watching spoiler[Nymph getting her wings ripped off was pretty disturbing]

That being said has anyone been watching Season 2? Judging from the length of this post for Season 1 I'm guessing probably not too many. I mean I know this isn't exactly quality viewing but I find it nice and relaxing to watch + it provides some nice variety to other serious shows I maybe viewing.

So far I'm enjoying season 2. I got a kick out of the OP in episode 1 with spoiler[Tomoki doing the Heart Bells song!] Looks like they won't be having a new OP per episode, but the ED seems different. There have been some pretty ridiculous fan service moments but they also seem to be advancing the plot a bit and providing some character development (slowly).

One small complaint would be that spoiler[ Delta is absolutely useless. I get what Nymph was saying about how certain angeloids lack certain things to be better at something, but it seems kind of like an oxymoron for Delta, that being superior in mid-combat while sacrificing motor skills. Granted that's probably the whole point of Delta, leading us to more fan serivce Smile. I mean i know this isn't the type of show to argue about logic etc, but it's just a nit pick comment I have. ]

I just saw episode 7 of season 2 and just met spoiler[Chaos. She's freaky as hell haha.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
Oh this is the SnO thread, to think it has been nearly a year since I last posted here for the first season. I liked the last episode, the story involving the brutality with Nymph has been some of my favourite bits, proof that this is not just an ecchi show.

Well I have been watching season 2, in fact it was one of the shows I was most looking forward to in these current seasons. Firstly Astrea has been a bit of a funny addition, spoiler[she often seems just be used as stupid fan service, but also a bit of sympathy.] Although I have been getting some joy out of the recent running gags between Tomoki and her, them spoiler[calling each other "baka"] draws a smile to my face.

The recent addition of little miss spoiler["lets play dollies"] has been interesting to say the least, especially with spoiler[that slasher smile that the evil guys have.] Also there seems to be some sort of big shocking truth that Sugata found out, I wonder if they can pull the plot off.

Over the top fan service is still a bit offputting, but the humour can be funny and the occasional plot is good, and Ikaros is also quite cool. Laughed with her recent spoiler[watermellon patch] incident.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
I like this show a lot, but I don't think it's the "fanservice" that is off-putting to me here. The problem is Tomoki.

He's not a terrible person.... sometimes, but in general he's doing things that are terrible. Occasionally this is funny, but I still find him to generally be a jerk. I'd like something to happen that will reform his nature, but I don't suspect that will ever occur in this show.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
man episode 8 was so epic it almost makes you forget what the series is usually like lol.

but i hear this episode veered off from the manga a little bit. this worries me cause it means they might go for an anime original ending which would suck cause i'd hope this show would go for a third season. anyways i hope that isn't the case.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Forete's episode 8 really was epic, it was one of my favourites when they forget the fanservice and go straight for plot, action and drama, well definetly would be fanservice for me. Though took me to this episode to figure out that spoiler[chaos's] voice was done by Toyosaki Aki who is well known for her innocent roles like Yui from K-ON!, Uiharu from Railgun, kana from kanamemo etc.

The episode has taken the spot of my favourite Forte episode so far, some of my favourite bits apart from the action was about Ikaros and Astrea. That Ikaros was able spoiler[to deny an order and throw Nymp to safety, proved she cared more about Nymph the her own safety, and Astrea was so cool she broke her own chain.] Won't leave Nymph out of it though, she is my favorite character and she has got lots of character growth out of any of them, and most of the drama involved her, so I am very happy about that too. I wonder what this show would be like if it was normaly like this, but I guess it would not be Sora no Otoshimono.

@ everydaygamer
Don't know if you know, but there is going to be a Sora no Otoshimono movie, yay. Anime hyper
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'd say Forte was a huge improvement over the never ending fanservice season one was.

One thing I'm rather upset about is how they're hiding the face of two characters for too long. I really hope it's relevant to the story...

I'm surprisingly enjoying this far more than a few other series such as Word God, Arakawa, etc.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to see episode 8, that was pretty crazy. Like someone above said you almost forget what kind of show this is when you have an episode like that.

Random thoughts -

I thought it was really neat to get to see Delta get in on some of the action. I didn't realize she'd be that strong.

Man Chaos is creepy as hell. Nice on noticing that it was Yui's seiyuu, I didn't even notice with her lifeless eyes and creepy smile... wait i guess that does sound like Yui, jk jk.

I feel pretty bad for Nymph, man she keeps getting the short end of the stick. Must-protect-her.

Was kinda surprised Sugata made it back... I guess the other woman sent him back?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3