• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Industry Launches Global Anti-Piracy Effort

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
In my humble opinion the best way to stop digital piracy is to start offering legal digital alternatives. Hulu, Crunchyroll, Funimation's videos, and all the anime that's on digital stores like iTunes are a good start. It'd be nice if we started getting that stuff in HD though since fansubs are already there.

Except that unless illegal downloads are controlled and limited, legal streams will be facing the same problems the DVD market is facing right now. Allowing illegal downloads to go on when you shift to an digital platform isn't really good business sense.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
And that is on top of dropping sales in Japan, which only increases the number of productions that are in the break-even and modest profit categories in the first place.

An interesting thing I've noticed, that actually kinda ticks me off: on the fansubs that make it onto Youtube (I'm lookin' at you, Haruhi!), look at the stats for those videos. It shows a map of video popularity, and guess where the videos are most popular. Japan. If anything, I'd expect the Japanese to be at least buying things in their native language and for sale in their own cities, not going to crappy English fansubs to get free anime.

People just need to learn to be responsible.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
CODA wrote:
in particular in Asia.

I just hope that cracking down on sites in China doesn't affect the fansubbers. Don't some of them get their raws from there?

not only raws, but a number of groups TL the Chinese fansubs into English. if they effectively cracked down on Chinese fansubs, English fansubs will definitely take a hit too.

RedSwirl wrote:
In my humble opinion the best way to stop digital piracy is to start offering legal digital alternatives. Hulu, Crunchyroll, Funimation's videos, and all the anime that's on digital stores like iTunes are a good start. It'd be nice if we started getting that stuff in HD though since fansubs are already there.

only.. that stuff isn't usually available outside the US.. people in China cant watch legal streams.

and they will never be able to stream in real HD. that would just lose them way too much money...
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
It's about time.
g0rth0r

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Everyone who's familiar with the music/movies pirate scene will know that this won't change a lot.

You can't stop piracy, only compete against it.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
This is alot harder than stopping it in America and such. The solution for people to buy your product her in the states is so damn simple: Don't put out terrible crap like Moon Phase or Madlax.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Already streaming in HD on Crunchyroll, Hulu, and The Anime Network. I watch all my anime streamed from those sites right to my HDTV. It's awesome! None of the 3rd party pirate sites can even hold a candle to the HDTV quality.

But, anyway, a ton of the more popular streaming sites are going to vanish by the end of the year. So many people publicly promoting the sites everywhere, spewing the domain names wherever they want to. They will be the first to go. Second will be all the sites that host videos ripped from the streaming sites like Crunchyroll, FUNI and TAN. They should never have kept streaming the videos that were on these sites. The only videos they should have made available are the current ones that nobody else has picked up yet.

Third will be the big bite. The common torrent handlers will go away - overnight. The paperwork is already done. They just need to issue the orders, and it will all vanish within 24 hours, worldwide. And then they will take a brief rest, followed by a huge rash of new licensed material.

The Japanese companies DID warn that if the VOD materials were pirated, then they would do something. This is it. Those ripping groups did this to themselves and the fansub community as a whole.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
This is alot harder than stopping it in America and such. The solution for people to buy your product her in the states is so damn simple: Don't put out terrible crap like Moon Phase or Madlax.

Those are two of my favorites! I have all of Bee-Train's stuff on DVDs... they are awesome!
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:

Except that unless illegal downloads are controlled and limited, legal streams will be facing the same problems the DVD market is facing right now. Allowing illegal downloads to go on when you shift to an digital platform isn't really good business sense.

Problem there of course as I noted, from the looks of it the companies trying to stamp out piracy aren't the ones trying to move to the digital platform. It looks like one group of companies is trying to go digital and sticking with the methods of stamping out piracy they've been doing already, while another set of companies is going on a anti-piracy rampage rejecting the digital platform.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy the Japanese want to protect their properties. They have a right to do so, sure, I may not be watching what's hot in Japan, but I at lease support what I like, those people in China can't because they don't have legal alternatives, so the Japanese need to cater to all over the world, not just the U.S.
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
If there were free/cheap and legal places I could watch the anime I wanted, being outside the US, I wouldn't pirate.

I pirate because a) Crunchyroll/Hulu etc don't stream outside the US, b) Australian streams are so limited it's ridiculous, plus it drops out so much at home I can't watch, c) the pricing for DVDs is still too high. Sure it's great they do packs instead of singles for most releases now but do I really need to pay $55 for 12 episodes of a show I'll watch once? In Japanese only because I don't like dubs? There's no resale value of DVDs here and my video stores don't have many anime DVDs for rent.

If I was offered the chance to get legal, subbed, medium-quality anime released within 2 weeks of the Japanese air date, at 50c-$1.50 per episode I'd buy it, along with my friends.

In Australia you pay twice for downloading legally, once for the actual content, the second time for the download quota you spend getting the content. If companies took this into consideration in their attempt to stamp out piracy I'd support it, but for now these moves will only go to alienate non-US anime fans who can't stream and drive piracy further underground.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
g0rth0r wrote:
Everyone who's familiar with the music/movies pirate scene will know that this won't change a lot.

You can't stop piracy, only compete against it.

Thing is you really can't. Not by making a profit. The mentality anime fans have today to what we used to have is "Why pay two dollars for this when I can get it for free over here"? Back in the day people payed 200 dollars for boxsets of Samurai Champloo because it was some of the few anime available.

I hear that importing a region 1 DVD from America is a lot cheaper than buying the actual product. Lex, a friend of mine imported the DVDs of Haruhi and it apparently came out a few yen cheaper.

@KendoGirl
The thing about Australia is you guys get anime. Few anime, but you get some of the best anime out there. You guys hardly get any crap. If you ever feel bad about the few anime you have in your country, always remember that Australia has Mind Game. Mind Game that we don't have.

Last edited by KanjiiZ on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

That's good expect for the part where the companies actually make money. Where does that fit in?

Anyway it is about time something like this was formed. I always said if this was going to be attemped it would take a coalition of the Japanese studios. One studio working alone could not do much. However I do think this may be too little, too late. But let's see what they do.

Be nice if there were actually more studios involved in this, but let's see how this goes.

Last edited by Prede on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:

That's good expect for the part where the companies actually make money. Where does that fit in?

Anyway it is about time something like this was formed. I always said if this was going to be attemped it would take a coalition of the Japanese studios. One studio working alone could not do much. However I do think this may be too little, too late. But let's see what they do.

Be nice if there were actually more studios involved in this, but let's see how thsi goes.

Advertising revenue, paid memberships, download to own, order the dvd if you really liked the series.
Advertising makes actual revenue, as long as you use the right type. CPC ads are useless, they don't do anything. But impression ads, and in-video ads (you know, like the kind you see on TV, except digitally you only watch it at the start of the show instead of multiple times in the middle) actually do make money.

You can make money using digital mediums, companies just want to squeeze out a pile of money and they don't think they can make what they want digitally.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I don't have any problems with companies exercising their right to keep their stuff from being pirated. Fine by me, but can you guys make more of an effort to be the stuff on legal streaming sites such as Crunchyroll? I honestly don't know how much revenue is generated from CR but it's more than the companies making no money on fansubs and CR has shown itself to be flexible with how things are released (like how Fairy Tail is available to members only). And the thing about CR being US only is B.S. I was noticing that most of their recent pick-ups are available outside the R1 region, I think that the Philippines, some of Europe, and the United Arab Emerites are often part of the streaming area as well.

panzer.time wrote:

An interesting thing I've noticed, that actually kinda ticks me off: on the fansubs that make it onto Youtube (I'm lookin' at you, Haruhi!), look at the stats for those videos. It shows a map of video popularity, and guess where the videos are most popular. Japan. If anything, I'd expect the Japanese to be at least buying things in their native language and for sale in their own cities, not going to crappy English fansubs to get free anime.

Now that's a bit sad, maybe the companies should take a hint and lower the prices/put more episodes out per release as the US has learned to do?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9