• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Book of Bantorra (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Between those 4 series you mentioned, only one have I enjoyed and at some point the main character actually justifies why she has that kind of body. The personal distaste for women drawn as Hemyetsu are is because I think it's a cheap tactic to make the character seem more appealing than she really is. Somewhere I read on the forum that Hemyetsu is a "upgraded version of Revy" and I have yet to see this happen. I don't find her character interesting at all, just a 1 dimensional "I kick ass so I'm in charge" attitude.

Now this isn't to say that my first thoughts that all women without a flat chest=heretics; there's just a line for realism and Hemyetsu's body doesn't wall within it. I think this standard only applies (for me) when I am taking a show seriously, compared to a comedy or a harem. I expect that kinda crap to be happening all over the place. I'm going in with low standards.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
As a proud member of the LCD (Lowest Common Denominator), I heartily approve anytime a female character is given a set of bigguns. I also think it's cute how Hamjugs sews rabbits onto her shirts.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
heh I understand what your saying Kirkdawg. Don't take my post as any inflammatory remark but I don't think that a character as to "justify" her body, in the same way that I don't have to "justify" why my eyes are brown instead of green, they just are. Don't get me wrong I understand that drawing a busty women can obviously be used for marketing purposing but I think it's important to remember that it's not always the case and pretty much every anime female character no matter what bust size, body type, and even age can be used for cheap marketing since 99% all female anime characters are attractive women.

I will also admit to noticing the bust size of the character before anything else though.Wink

As far as "realism" goes, were talking an anime with sorcerers, witches, souls, and magical libraries Confused . At that point any notion "realism" should've been thrown out the window, or better yet not even there to begin with seen anime by definition isn't real. Also me saying this doesn't agree with the notion that Hemyetsu is unrealistic as there a many bikini model that could prove that notion wrong Wink, I think her body type and shape is idealized....like again 99% of all female anime characters.

But you know, hey if you feel that it cheapens your experience that's all well and fine, there are things other people accept that I find cheapens the experience but that's just me.

Last edited by animeboy12 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow so instead of any Volken answers with episode 6 we got a Noloty episode. I would argue that she's the blandest of the main characters--very idealistic, sweet, innocent, yada yada. Now the guy spoiler[Hamyuts assigned her to save is quite interesting. I don't know why Hamyuts wants him saved if she's going to recruit him for the Armed Librarians if he wants her dead...]

So yeah, we may not know that much about Hamyuts but that doesn't make her one dimensional. She's practically omniscient which is why everything gets done while all the other librarians are like "what's she doing at a time like this?" She has a devil-may-care attitude which cloaks a deeply competitive, blood-thirsty, psychotic personality; and in the ED there are several shots of her looking wistful and sad, so I'm pretty sure we'll get some backstory. A character like Noloty is one dimensional; a character like Hamyuts is simply mysterious.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- quotes:
Quote:
As a proud member of the LCD (Lowest Common Denominator), I heartily approve anytime a female character is given a set of bigguns. I also think it's cute how Hamjugs sews rabbits onto her shirts.

As a guy who's in his 40s, someone would think you are a dirty old man. Hell, I'm 23 and like this stuff also.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Wow so instead of any Volken answers with episode 6 we got a Noloty episode. I would argue that she's the blandest of the main characters--very idealistic, sweet, innocent, yada yada. Now the guy spoiler[Hamyuts assigned her to save is quite interesting. I don't know why Hamyuts wants him saved if she's going to recruit him for the Armed Librarians if he wants her dead...]

I think it's because of what she said before the end of this episode. Something like: spoiler[after reading a book, he began to wish for his own death.] So, by now I'm guessing that either she wants information from him, or she wants to recruit him. We got to admit, that guy is pretty sturdy.
I didn't like the new character. I don't like her type either: "Hohoho, I live in a happy world, therefore come with me and let's protect the people... hohoho". Anime smile + sweatdrop
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Call me a mondo perv, but it would be nice if they upped the ante with Meseta's chest puppies.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Let's just declare Hamyuts' Breasts a character and move on with the conversation.

Episode 7 was awesome. Excellent cliffhanger ending, and I can tell there's some kind of twist to this story and certainly stuff we haven't been told, i.e. why there seem to be two spoiler[ Zatohs, Good Zatoh and Evil Zatoh.]
I can't quite see how everything fits together yet--Lumione's book, the masked man, the Church, and the Librarians--but this series is proving its strength especially in fleshing out side characters such as Colio's story in the first arc, and now Zatoh's story. Even Noloty got some development this episode, and even if she is one of the most tried and true archetypes at least we see she's got some conviction. Hopefully this is part of the main plotline because we haven't heard about spoiler[Volken] in two episodes, nor the names they found on the ship at the beginning of the series, so I have a feeling we've yet to meet the main antagonist...if it's that old guy I'm very disappointed, but I have a feeling there's a much better rival for Hamyuts out there.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was ok, I don't think it was the best so far. The second half was leaps and bounds better than the first half, because although in the first half we get some good character development, the climax was just really rewarding. Noloty is just too boring for me right now; she has nothing to distinguish herself from so many other innocent, pure-type characters that I can't relate to her or really root for her at all. Zatoh, on the other hand, with what looks like spoiler[split personality disorder, probably brought on because of the guilt he feels for killing so many] is by far more interesting.

The cliffhanger was exciting, as it had been in other episodes. This show really knows how to make you look forward to the next episode.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Nice plot twist in episode 8.

spoiler[I'm happy about this happy ending. And I like Enlike's (Enrique?) character. Still not sold on Noloty, I kind of wish he were paired with someone more interesting.]

I do not see how this is going to be 13 episodes. We've now got the Enlike/Noloty storyline, the spoiler[Volken's betrayal] storyline, the overarching church vs. librarians plot, and the Olivia Litlet/Hamyut's past plot. It seems they're giving each of their characters an arc before the main conflict because they've focused episodes already on Volken, Mirepoc, Noloty, Hamyuts, and some side characters. Looks like Matt's due, and he's one of my favorite characters so I'm excited...I hope they do give him an arc, even if it's just an episode, for continuity's sake. I've enjoyed these initial arcs, but I do hope they've tied into the storyline somehow. I can't quite see how Colio does aside from revealing things about our main characters.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I know it's bad forum etiquette but I hate adding new episode impressions to a few-days-old post so...

Episode 9 threw me for a bit of a loop. It appears the Zatoh/Enlike arc is not over. spoiler[This episode focused mainly on Ganzabel torturing Enlike to come back and be his monster (I just realized how funny that sounds). A little history on Ganzabel revealed that he was just a sad, twisted old man. I'm confused as to who the final boss is now that Enlike killed Ganzabel, and the headless guy was allowed in the library by Hamyuts, so I wonder if he's an enemy? Or not?

I want a Mattalast episode! He seems to be the closest to Hamyuts and I'm looking forward to their history together. I have to say this series keeps me guessing. I thought Enlike was going to high-tail it after this episode, but Noloty's smile was so confident I wonder if he'll stick around and become an Armed Librarian. I certainly hope so. He's interesting. Plus they probably need someone else with Volken still M.I.A. That's a dangling plot thread right there. Although my guess is still that he left on moral grounds, speaking of which we got a news flash this episode--Hamyuts said flat-out what her goal is. She wants to fight someone who can kill her. Does that mean she's just insane, or does she actually want to die out of some kind of deep-seated regret? She hasn't shown that side of herself yet but she's crying in the ED. I'm glad she's monstrous, though, I love shows where there isn't really a side of justice--so who cares if she has fun torturing the people who turn other people into meats?

I hope we get some answers about Volken next episode. The more episodes I see the more I'm convinced this cannot be a 13-episode series...]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage, the show is supposed to have twenty-six episodes, at least according to Wikipedia. And it will certainly need them. I don't know why you keep on saying thirteen. Just because ANN has the titles of the first thirteen episodes does not necessarily imply that the show will only have thirteen episodes.

As for episode nine, spoiler[we got more hints that maybe Hamyuts is evil. After all, she is friendly with the Gatekeeper or whatever his title is, and he was helping out the church. In episode four she did presumably kill the train's crew when she derailed it; thank goodness it was only carrying freight instead of passengers. Also, she enjoys killing way too much, and will kill those who can't even fight back or are retreating. Those things don't necessarily make her evil, but they do leave ample room for her to be, almost as ample as her bosom.] Heh.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Regarding Hamyuts, one of the problems I'm having is that I don't know enough about almost anything. We don't know what really happened all those years ago when there was some great war where those items were used. We don't know if the legend about the God of the World being split into three is true. We don't know if Bantorra himself is good or not. We don't know if the gods are really gone or not.

What is that half-faded guy, anyway? We know what he calls himself, but does that mean what we think it means, or is he lying? Heaven in that world is definitely not what we think typically think of Heaven. He said that he felt the old man's happiness, or something like that. Was he comatose and is now using strong emotions to help revive himself? spoiler[ And Hamyuts knows him, perhaps he is part of the Library, perhaps even Bantorra himself?].

Then there was the way the Library conducted an intervention. Did you hear the soldiers say that a monster was coming? Are the Armed Librarians even a "good" organization at all?

Just too many questions.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
spoiler[ I'm glad she's monstrous, though, I love shows where there isn't really a side of justice--so who cares if she has fun torturing the people who turn other people into meats? ]

spoiler[The problem is that she isn't torturing them. She torturing the meats. Right now she really hasn't shown any redeemable features as a human being as far as morals goes, and this latest episode practically revealed her to have a similar mindset to the Church they are fighting.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
I was a little disappointed to find out Hamtits self-proclaimed agenda of wanting spoiler[to fight somebody who will go all out in trying to kill her. To me that smacks too much of the typical shonen cliché of wanting to fight "the strongest." Plus, it kind of duplicates Enlike's thing of trying to be killed by somebody - although I don't think that Hamyuts is motivated by remorse.]

And yes, it is more than time to pick up the Volken thread again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3