• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-11-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
I don't really find it surprising to see a lot of German stuff in anime. Even if it was through WW2, the two countries do clearly have a connection. That isn't going to vanish just because it was during such a terrible time in these countries history. Actually the fact that these countries made these terrible mistakes and did these awful things together may actually sort of strengthen that connection.

Quote:
There are a lot of anime that are poorly-written schlock (though even some of those can be entertaining), but there are just as many that have deep plots, outstanding character development, and compelling themes.

No way. Off the top of my head I'd guess it's a ratio of about 7 to 1.

Quote:
Of course, both countries of put out their share of crap as well. (For thee the bell tolls, Eiken and American Dad)

Nonsense. American Dad is hilarious. It's actually closer in style to the Simpsons than Family guy in that it's got a strong satirical undercurrent. It's really quite clever. It's also the only FOX animated show that's still funny.

Quote:
But the West never had the manga industry that Japan had to draw upon. Instead we were living with the guidelines of the Comic Book Code which shaped the types of stories that animators had to work with. This code eventually led to the mindset that comics, and thus cartoons, were meant for kids. So Western animators who used comics didn't have the same stories to draw from, and what they did have were mostly super hero stories. At best we get stories with Batman, Superman and Spiderman which have gone through decades of censorship in the shaping of those stories.

It's a shame though. Comics have really grown out of that mindset and diversified over the last couple decades. I really wish there was more effort to get more intelligent, non-super hero comics adapted to animated TV series. There is obviously some interest in this, but it's all focused on getting them turned into live action movies which has actually turned out great for a few of the most mainstream super heroes like Batman, Spiderman and the X-Men as well as some stuff that's quite suited to live action such as 300 and Sin City. Wouldn't it be so much better to see relatively less well known stuff like Watchmen or Hellblazer get adaptations that truly do them justice? I think it's safe to say that there's an audience for these comics and they would be a lot more open minded towards animation than your average person.

Quote:
I had to feel for Harvey Dent

Yeah for sure. As much as I liked The Dark Knight I definitely liked TAS origin story better.

Zac wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:
First off, there are NO reasons to go see New Moon or any Twilight related movie other than 1: You are a 14 year old girl, 2: You are seriously disillusioned on what a relationship should be, 3: Have no concept of plot or character development, 4: are yourself Stephanie Myers.

You forgot the most important one: "hoping to get laid by a girl with horrible taste"

Heh heh. I don't know though, that seems just a tad un-Brian-ly.

Pandadice wrote:
thats because the American invasion of Japan was our own race war. we did to the Japanese what the Germans did to the jews.

This is immensely offensive and sublimely moronic.

The Jews are not a country and as such are incapable of being at war with another country and/or starting a war with another country by launching a surprise military strike on them.

Obviously any time there is a war there is a tendency to vilify the race of the country you are fighting. However there is an immense difference between that and what the Nazis did.

The US did not decide Japan and the Japanese people were their enemies purely by virtue of their being Japanese and they sure as hell never attempted to exterminate their entire race.

Without a doubt, the use of the atomic bomb is fucked up. Even it can't compare to the Holocaust though.

I know it's hip to bitch about the US these days but if you honestly think this you need to give your head a shake, grow up, go read something that's not the internet, and get some bloody perspective.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 am Reply with quote
I blame US television standards and practice for kiddifying American animation. Tabacco, alcohol and death are big taboos in American tv animation for kids, even though literature allowed for all ages is less restricted. Candy Candy, Anne of Green Gables and Treasure Islan, of which two were based on western literature all have scenes that couldn't allowed for kids shows in the US even though these are very mild examples.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:
First off, there are NO reasons to go see New Moon or any Twilight related movie other than 1: You are a 14 year old girl, 2: You are seriously disillusioned on what a relationship should be, 3: Have no concept of plot or character development, 4: are yourself Stephanie Myers.

You forgot the most important one: "hoping to get laid by a girl with horrible taste"
Oh dear. is that as well then? Hopefully not.

Pandadice wrote:
thats because the American invasion of Japan was our own race war. we did to the Japanese what the Germans did to the jews.

soldiers would collect skulls and send them home as trophies. sick stuff.

plus, there's the whole a-bomb thing. Japan may have been on Germany's side, but Americans were savages in that part of the world.

plus Japan turned around and gave us anime and manga. what has Germany done since then?
I see world history wasn't your strong subject in school then. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:45 am; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
They're still hunting Nazis--not Japanese war criminals.

USAMRIID gave them (led by Shirō Ishii) prosecution immunity in exchange of medical experiment data gathered by Unit 731. Later USAMRIID realized that they had made a poor deal because experiments designed by Unit 731 were very crude by scientific standards, therefore the data collected from those inhumane experiments were almost scientifically worthless, despite of costing numerous innocent lives.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
I didn't have time to read all of them, but there were some very interesting replies in the Answerfans section this week. I especially liked the first one; very informative and rational. The only thing that bothers me is how everyone kisses Miyazaki's ass, but that's a personal gripe of mine that I've probably mentioned more times than I should have already.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
On the German issue, I've felt some of it is as bad as the Japanese were (& in some ways they were worse than the Gemans), the Germans were crucified after the war while a good number of Japanese got off fairly light. They're still hunting Nazis--not Japanese war criminals. A number of older Japanese artists, animators, etc, have made comments about how ashamed they felt growing up. But, considering the treatment, the Germans were far worse, right. As bad as the Japanese were, if one looks at their punishment, the Germans were the bigger monsters & thus using Germans in there with the baddies can make the Japanese come off as not so bad. (I'm thinking titles like Kishin Corps & Doomed Megapolis)

soldiers would collect skulls and send them home as trophies. sick stuff.

plus, there's the whole a-bomb thing. Japan may have been on Germany's side, but Americans were savages in that part of the world.

plus Japan turned around and gave us anime and manga. what has Germany done since then?

Have your heard of some of the things the Japanese did?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banka_Island_massacre

In comparison here's wikipedia's page on American atrocities commited in World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_crimes#United_States_perpetrated_crimes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_war_crimes_during_World_War_II

Notice the percentage of Chinese pows that the Japanese left alive.

Don't tell me of the atrocities commited by the Americans when the Japanese commited atrocity after atrocity.

Theirs a reason why China and Korea hate the Japanese to this day.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

and speaking of Germany, I think it's funny how in a show like Hetalia Axis Powers, where everyone is a walking stereotype, Germany is the only normal person. Everyone else is doing their countries thing, while Germany, in stead of being what Germans were at that time, is just an intelligent normal guy.

Uh...you missed the point of Hetalia and Hetalia's Germany. None of the characters are stereotypes of one time period and one time period only. Germany is a stereotype, too, but not a Nazi stereotype. He's your average German from just about any point in the history of the country--orderly, strict, clean, and loves his wurst. It's just that Germans really aren't really easy to exaggerate on in such a hilarious manner as, say, the Italians.
kuroraka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
I've seen just as many anime using French, Italian, English or Russian terms/names. I guess it they sound cool and exotic to the Japanese? That people are only bothered by the German references (even if they are not Nazi-related) shows that they still equal Germans with Nazis which - more than sixty years after the war - is pretty sad....as is the discussion about which country's war atrocities have been worse... Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Uh...you missed the point of Hetalia and Hetalia's Germany. None of the characters are stereotypes of one time period and one time period only. Germany is a stereotype, too, but not a Nazi stereotype. He's your average German from just about any point in the history of the country--orderly, strict, clean, and loves his wurst. It's just that Germans really aren't really easy to exaggerate on in such a hilarious manner as, say, the Italians.
Two words for German hilarity. Oktober Fest. Wink
Dudley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

You mean, like, becoming one of the most powerful industry nation's of the world? Producing quality cars, household appliances, televisions and other electronics that are sold all over the world?
But, hey, the Japanese gave you anime and manga! *gasp*
This of course can't measure up to anything!

Confused

Anyway, I find the whole way both the original question and Brian's answer are phrased a bit offensive. I mean sentences like:

Quote:
So why all the German references in anime? Do the Japanese not see this as a delicate situation

I mean, what? What's so delicate about it? Are you thinking if some random anime character spurts random lines in German, the Germans and Japanese will team up again and start WWII all over?

I really don't see any connection between, say, Princess Tutu - which is supposedly set in German, uses German words as names and has one of the protagonist reciting a spell in German - and the Nazis. The inspiration for this series more likely includes the Brothers Grimm, Beethoven, Mozart and so on.

And besides the Grimms, Beethoven and Mozart, there is Goethe, Schiller, Hermann Hesse, Heinrich Boell and Thomas Mann, to name a few, all of which are as highly regarded in Japan as elsewhere in the world. Can't you even imagine that these person's works might have inspired Japanese to become interested in Germany?

It's sad that Brian jumped the Nazi bandwagon as soon as WWII is mentioned and it leaves the impression on me, that he didn't really spent much time thinking about an answer. I mean, anime set in Germany = Urusei Yatsura (!) character's running around in Nazi uniforms? I usually really like his answers, but this just feels... lazy!
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
I actually never thought about it, but there are a lot more German references in anime than I realized:

The Fullmetal Alchemist movie, set in Germany (I think it was pre-WWI?)

Momoko (the Rabbit) in Fruits Basket is half-German.

Sakura Wars - I believe at least one of the troupe members is German.

That's just off the top of my head - I'm sure there are *tons* more that I either haven't seen, or can't remember right now.

On the other hand, I've found a LOT more blatant references to the US. I'd like to know what their fascination is with America. Smile Is it just because we're a "foreign" country to them, and so very far removed from Japan?
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Move on, people. The war is over.

The American Civil War ended over 150 years ago, and as a History Geek I still come across people who are genuinely aggrieved that the belligerent, ill-mannered North stomped the noble, genteel South. No joke. There are people who not only nurture that flame of resentment, they pass it on to their children and grandchildren, as it was passed to them. A mere 60 years since WWII? It could be a while before Germany is able to "move on" in Western cultural memory.

Remember that it wasn't just the Nazis that established Germany as a cultural trope. It took the WWI-WWII double whammy to ensure that certain responses were etched this deep, just as the American Civil War wouldn't have such lingering power if it hadn't been for the failures of Reconstruction.

Now I have to go cleanse my brain before the "American Civil War, Hetalia style" tangent takes hold. Time of Eve should do it...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
I lost count -- just how many tropes did Deadwing name-drop?!

Ai no Kareshi: I didn't like Totoro. That good enough for you?

I saw interesting point on another forum -- just comparing action scenes, American cartoons are probably superior on average from a strictly technical standpoint, and to some extent in choreography.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

For the life of me, I cannot recall the dead shonen heroes (not the revived ones like DBZ or Yusuke), but I'm pretty good at latching onto that character when a title starts. Shall we do spoilers & start naming titles where the hero sacrifices himself for his buds? I loved Gai. I loved him for-what-4 eps? AD Police count? A Go Nagai hero or 2? Basilisk's a bloodbath.
HOSHIN ENGI. Oh my god. How many perfectly good heroes can one author off? We lose regulars in Berserk, don't we? FMA...Pretty early, too, wasn't it? Death Note...Was it Code Geass commentary I was listening to where they said someone had to die in every battle?

I think, specifically, they mean the 100+ episode saga/fighting shows. The ones with a huge cast of characters, where the good guys virtually never, ever die (I'm somewhere around episode 140 of Bleach, and no one has really died yet except some useless villains, and maybe one or two minor characters).
And also, I think the issue is them dying within the story, and not simply at the end (in which case, your list would grow quite a bit, too). The MAIN characters in Basilisk last through to the last 5 episodes or so. Everyone who is relatively insignificant gets cut out in the first 5-6. FMA...aside from their mother, I think it's about halfway through the series when someone major finally dies.

I don't watch a lot of those drawn-out shonen shows, but in the second season of Yu Yu Hakusho, one of the main good guys bites it. So there's that.

By the way, whoever mentioned it above me.... You're entitled to your opinion, but American Dad is awful. Smile It's just Family Guy with Republicans. And Cleveland Show is Family Guy with black people. Family Guy was funny until I saw enough episodes to realize that there's really nothing there. The jokes are all entirely unrelated to the story of each episode, and after a while, it stops being funny.

But I have noted several mentions of the Venture Brothers, which is one of the best damn shows on TV period. Animated or otherwise.

And as for the load of kiddie crap on TV these days, I've always been fond of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends myself.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
That's just off the top of my head - I'm sure there are *tons* more that I either haven't seen, or can't remember right now.

*gasp!* How dare you forget:

MONSTER!!!!!!! and PLUTO!!!! plus a brief moment in 20TH CENTURY BOYS!!!

Urasawa clearly loves to set stories in Germany, and he's quite aware of Germany's history, both good and appalling. I'm waiting for the free-wheeling plot of Billy Bat to finally wind up back in Germany.

Quote:
Instead we were living with the guidelines of the Comic Book Code which shaped the types of stories that animators had to work with. This code eventually led to the mindset that comics, and thus cartoons, were meant for kids.

But you're forgetting that the reason we had the Comics Code in the first place was because comic books already were seen as "for children." The whole book that launched the censorship campaign was called "The Corruption of the Innocent." Comic books were read largely by young people, and the Moral Guardians (I can trope-drop too!) decided it was all too racy so they dumbed it down to what they thought was appropriate for minors. Moreover, the Code has been out of style for 30+ years by now, and even conventional comic books like Superman and Spiderman can have a lot more violence and adult content than, well, Naruto.

Quote:
everything about killing off characters

Nobuhiro Watsuki alleges that he had a certain amount of editorial pressure keeping him from killing off spoiler[Kaoru]. I don't know whether that's true or whether he's just trying to justify a somewhat lame plot twist, but there you have it.

Naruto did a fantastic job with the death of spoiler[Asuma], which was probably the last part of that series I actually liked. But it too falls prey to "nobody dies" or "people can be brought back from the dead via magic." Much better example? Fullmetal Alchemist. Characters die and stay dead in that series - it's fundamental to the plot that they cannot be brought back.

[Edit: misspelled an author's name, to the amusement of later posters. Smile]

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6