• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giascle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I was asked to watch the animatic when I interned at Starz/Film Roman/I-don't-know-they're-all-like-three-feet-away-from-each-other, and I didn't exactly know what to say. I have not read The Divine Comedy, but even I knew it's probably not about SMASH THROUGH HELL FIGHT THE DEVIL YEAAAAAH

If they had just made it an original storyline, instead of trying to re-imagine a classic in the God of War era, it would have been more enjoyable. Overall, it just felt like EA trying to cash in again, which even some of the staff were hinting at.

And yeah IG's designs are freaking weird. I don't know if it's the same now that it's animated, but his arms were literally the size of his whole body.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Um, which one did yasuomi animate? One of the bad ones?
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Does it have a DVD menu where you pick the parts you want to watch, like Animatrix, or is it cut to a "feature movie"?
malik_chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I was already turned off by this game because of EA's tasteless marketing tactics, but I'm even more turned off by it because it's a mockery of the Divine Comedy and they're releasing the book with the game's cover art.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm judging based on quality.

Wait until you see the Oshii "supervised" Production I.G. segment for Halo Legends. Makes the opening to this one look like an Oscar nominee.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Does it have a DVD menu where you pick the parts you want to watch, like Animatrix, or is it cut to a "feature movie"?

It is a feature movie, with a single narrative, not a collection of related shorts.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Labbes wrote:

It is a feature movie, with a single narrative, not a collection of related shorts.

That's interesting to know. I might get it sooner then later if that's the case. The multiple dvd covers gimmick is nifty too.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Call me a purist, but I would rather read the original.

Quote:
The problem with Dante's Inferno is that it's, well, based on a videogame and videogames aren't particularly deep 95% of the time.

Too true. That is why I prefer the original. Videogames tend to be more action-oriented, not really dramatic.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
You figure SpikeTV would be a likely candidate for this and Halo Legends.

And as much as I love the Divine Comedy, (it's equal parts satire and exploration of belief) this looks awesome.

Fun fact- In the Divine Comedy, Lucifer is portrayed as a rather pathetic creature, with the idea being that those who would follow him were equally pathetic.
Enner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Zac wrote:
I'm judging based on quality.

Wait until you see the Oshii "supervised" Production I.G. segment for Halo Legends. Makes the opening to this one look like an Oscar nominee.

I'm probably just being forgiving of the liberties taken by Production I.G., but I quite liked "The Duel" episode and prefer it's weird art style to Film Roman's effort in Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic.

Maybe it's just a weird part of me that thinks a samurai revenge story with Halo's Elite characters goes straight past stupid and becomes freakin' awesome.

Oh darn, it looks like GameTrailers only had the full episode on a temporary basis.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Quote:
drag a little Milton in there, too, you know?

That would be giving the franchise way too much credit.

I don't know about that. Consider how many random and hastily thrown together references to varying mythologies end up in video games all the time. The names of places, the names of monsters with varying abilities (many that resemble the abilities of the mythological figure they are named after), side quest characters and plot themes, etc. etc. I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch for some game developers to want to throw in some biblical references to the serpent, pick up some Christian mythology text off the shelf to cross-reference where else they can grab plotlines from and come up with some Milton. Especially considering as far as Epic Poetry goes, The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost are the two big Christian ones (most others came out of Greco-Roman pagan culture).
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought the radically different styles of art made this extremely confusing, the pacing was also quite off, and the fight scenes were half-assed.

Dubbing was decent, the review was VERY accurate when he stated that the mouthing didn't match up. I'm WAY more excited to play the game, the demo was AWESOME and I'm not even a gamer.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
I thought the radically different styles of art made this extremely confusing, the pacing was also quite off, and the fight scenes were half-assed.

Dubbing was decent, the review was VERY accurate when he stated that the mouthing didn't match up. I'm WAY more excited to play the game, the demo was AWESOME and I'm not even a gamer.

Play Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry and maybe even God of War. Then play this...
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:

I'm going to add to what LondinCalling said here; play something like God of War first.

I dunno, the Dante's Inferno demo kinda bored me because it was absolutely nothing new. Then again, I AM a gamer. Haha.

GeorgeC wrote:
Most direct-to-video projects -- American or Japanese -- are nothing to write home about.

Wait, really? I mean, on the Japanese side. I dunno about current projects, but back in the day a direct to video release (as in an OVA/OAV) meant it was going to much higher quality than TV series. Unless you meant they're low quality compared to movies, then yeah you have a point. But series with fantastic production values like Record of Lodoss War were direct to video, so I just can't agree with this comment!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
LondinCalling wrote:

Play Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry and maybe even God of War. Then play this...

I'm playing the Dante's Inferno game now and it is basically a direct copy of God of War in a different setting. I love the God of War games and this is a pretty good ripoff, so I'm enjoying it. I didn't expect much, but it is plenty of fun so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3