• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Dragon Ball Z Kai's English Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Wasn't Kyle Hebert the narrator in DBZ? I thought he still does stuff for Funimation. I wonder why they couldn't bring him back?

Kyle made the Texodus, like Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham, and now lives in LA. It'd probably be a bit much to fly him in for that much work.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
dawgstar wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Wasn't Kyle Hebert the narrator in DBZ? I thought he still does stuff for Funimation. I wonder why they couldn't bring him back?

Kyle made the Texodus, like Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham, and now lives in LA. It'd probably be a bit much to fly him in for that much work.

Yet both Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham still work for Funimation. FMA Brotherhood being the most recent for both of them.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Idk I really don't think Kai is all that good. I mean don't get me wrong I'm majorly glad that a new generation gets to experience the power of the DBZ series but I grew up on dbz and I thought the fillers were an essential part to what made the series to great. Argue with me all you want but I firmly believe that without the fillers, the series is missing part of its soul.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I think you guys are forgetting Monica Rial has deep voice that uses as well. It would be hilarious to hear use her Asa voice while yelling Goku. Laughing just thinking about it.

If she did that I would just watch the parts of the show she did that in, and nothing else.

At least they didn't change Goku that would have been a huge disappointment. I didn't think some of the voices in the Funi dub where that bad, some where, but it wasn't that bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
At least they didn't change Goku that would have been a huge disappointment.

Not for me. It would be nice to have a VA for Goku who at least understands the character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
matthewlow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually quite a bit surprised that Stephanie Nadonly didn't come back for Gohan, even though she hasn't been at Funimation in a while. The only answer I can come up with is that she gave up voice acting completely. She did a great job and it's going to be weird watching DBZ without her.

Same goes with Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma, though she disappeared a long time ago, as with Monika Antonelli's Chaiotzu/Puar, though she wasn't primarily a voice actress to begin with.

The narrator change confuses me, as they'll have to bring Kyle back in for Ox King anyway for the early episodes. New narrator for new series? He doesn't seem to have anime credits either.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I got to admit, it'll be interesting to hear Colleen Clinkenbeard and Monica Rial as Gohan and Bulma. I'll just have to wait for my brother to pick up the sets to hear how they will fit the roles (although I get the feeling Colleen will get asked several questions about her role at A-Cen this year Anime hyper).
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Not for me. It would be nice to have a VA for Goku who at least understands the character.

Well, personally I've never been a fan of his Japanese voice (if what you're getting at is the original seiyuu did a better job). I mean if I'm watching the shows subbed I can tollerate it, but honestly I never understood why they never recasted his voice after he grew up or at least why is seiyuu didn't at least try to deepen his voice. I liked Sean Schemel's Goku. I liked a lot of the voice actors so I'm sad to see Bulma's voice actress go. I think a lot of the voice actors had a lot of fun with the roles so even if there were mistakes they are the voice actors I grew up watching this show with and for cripes sakes its not like we're talking about a bunch of voice actors train wrecking a masterpiece, its dragonball I don't think anyone is asking for perfection just a genuine performance.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, the first thing I thought upon reading this article was "Aw man, they changed the narrator?" When I think back to the good 'ol days of watching DBZ, no other single voice (sans maybe the overplayed powering-up "Ghuuuuuaaaaa!"s) captures the DBZ experience like that narrator's "Will Goku manage to pull off the Spirit Bomb? Find out, on the next exciting episode of Dragon Balllll Zeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" I mean, they could change out half the voice cast, and if they kept the old narrator, it would still sound like it had its unifying element in place. Well...the Narrator, Vegeta, and Master Roshi. And maybe King Kai, for levity's sake.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Well, personally I've never been a fan of his Japanese voice (if what you're getting at is the original seiyuu did a better job). I mean if I'm watching the shows subbed I can tollerate it, but honestly I never understood why they never recasted his voice after he grew up or at least why is seiyuu didn't at least try to deepen his voice. I liked Sean Schemel's Goku. I liked a lot of the voice actors so I'm sad to see Bulma's voice actress go. I think a lot of the voice actors had a lot of fun with the roles so even if there were mistakes they are the voice actors I grew up watching this show with and for cripes sakes its not like we're talking about a bunch of voice actors train wrecking a masterpiece, its dragonball I don't think anyone is asking for perfection just a genuine performance.

Well, first of all, Nozawa's Goku fits the adult Goku because Goku is a hillbilly manchild. It was a choice Toei made to put personality over aesthetics, and it worked perfectly, because Nozawa delivers Goku's lines in such a charming, laid-back manner, but is still capable of sharpening her tone in combat scenes. It is also quite a bit deeper than his voice as a child, but retains a lot of the purity of his child voice.

Schemmel's Goku sounds like any dime-a-dozen male tough guy leads.

Second, if they're trying for accuracy for DB Kai, it should extend to the casting, as well. The previous VAs shouldn't get brownie points just for sticking around so long. I grew up watching a lot of the dub, too, but it doesn't live up to the current standards for anime dubs.

I'm glad they at least replaced the roles they did. Stephanie Naldony's Gohan sounded hallow and forced and Tiffany Vollmer's valley girl Bulma was wrong for the character. Also, it's good to see they've replaced the announcer. Maybe they won't go so over the top this time, as well.

I'm always surprised by the number of English dub fans DBZ still has, because it's a dub that actively talks down to and insults the intelligence of the viewers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Personally I found Nozawa to make Goku sound like Mike Tyson, and if they wanted Goku to sound like a convicted rapist than good job.

Her recent voice work reminds me of my old cat that died years ago.

Age just doesn't change the looks it's changed the voice and Nozawa now sounds horrible as Goku.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Personally I found Nozawa to make Goku sound like Mike Tyson, and if they wanted Goku to sound like a convicted rapist than good job.

Charred Knight, everybody. Contrarian extraordinare. No actual opinions of his own, just trolling.

Subtle as always. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Charred Knight, everybody. Contrarian extraordinare. No actual opinions of his own, just trolling.

You got me, because I don't agree with you I must be trolling.

Imagine if Nozawa voiced Kenshiro, it would be horrible so why is Goku any different. Imagine if Warner Bros decided to have women voice Superman and Batman instead of Tim Daly, and Kevin Conroy.

Dragonball is a product of the 80's, and is basically maniless untapped, it doesn't have much plot, it just a 250 pound monsters punching each other.

Nozawa simply has never made Goku sound like a badass.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
[You got me, because I don't agree with you I must be trolling.

No, but making a bunch of inflammatory comments without any support is.

Quote:
Imagine if Nozawa voiced Kenshiro, it would be horrible so why is Goku any different.

Imagine if Warner Bros decided to have women voice Superman and Batman instead of Tim Daly, and Kevin Conroy.

Dragonball is a product of the 80's, and is basically maniless untapped, it doesn't have much plot, it just a 250 pund monsters punching each other.

Son Goku isn't supposed to sound like a badass. Because he's not. That's the whole point of the character. He's a pure-hearted child. Even as an adult.

Sorry something as simple as this escapes your (albeit limited) grasp.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
[You got me, because I don't agree with you I must be trolling.

No, but making a bunch of inflammatory comments without any support is.

Quote:
Imagine if Nozawa voiced Kenshiro, it would be horrible so why is Goku any different.

Imagine if Warner Bros decided to have women voice Superman and Batman instead of Tim Daly, and Kevin Conroy.

Dragonball is a product of the 80's, and is basically maniless untapped, it doesn't have much plot, it just a 250 pund monsters punching each other.

Son Goku isn't supposed to sound like a badass. Because he's not. That's the whole point of the character. He's a pure-hearted child. Even as an adult.

Sorry something as simple as this escapes your (albeit limited) grasp.

Oh I am sorry his just a 250 pound heavily muscular man who can blow up a planet, and fights aliens by shooting massive ki beams at things. Apparently that's not badass.

If that's not badass than what is? If blowing up the moon doesn't get you into the club of being utterly badass what the hell does.

By the Saiyan Saga Dragonball is pretty much nothing but giant pillars of manilessness beating the crap out of each other. Are you honestly telling me that on paper Goku vs. Vegeta wasn't badass? Goku vs. Freeza wasn't badass?

Also remember that Goku lives for fighting, Goku wants to go toe to toe in battle. The man is a born warrior much like the Vikings, and Mongols of history.

Are you telling me this picture isn't badass.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UltimateShowdownOfUltimateDestiny
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5