• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - NISA Explains It All

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
License-rescue the Disgaea anime? What for? It was awful.
nateotaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Nis makes it, it would be nice to have more Anime on a physical format. I don't mind streaming, but I feel like I am helping the industry more, when I buy a physical copy of something.
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
That was a fun and informative show. Huge props to Justin, Zac, and the rest of the ANN crew for jumping on this topic so quick.

Like previous posters, I also hope these guys do well. I gotta say, though, $60 for a sub-only half season is more than I'm generally willing to pay. Then again, I'm a somewhat poor college student who doesn't buy much anime anyways, maybe things will change after I'm out and have a steady job.

In any case, I loved their criteria for deciding which shows to pick up - get everybody in a room and watch 50 shows, then pick their favorites. It's nice to see that they have passion and a desire to sell quality works, and are doing more than just cold-bloodily working to appease market forces (Come on, you know the FUNimation corporate offices have shrines to the NASDAC and DowJones in some back room).
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

I love how enthusiastic they sound - I hope they are successful enough to eventually get more licenses and start dubbing. I love Funimation, but it's always nice to have some competition in the mix.

I think viz is considered competition.
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I love how enthusiastic they sound - I hope they are successful enough to eventually get more licenses and start dubbing. I love Funimation, but it's always nice to have some competition in the mix.

I think viz is considered competition.
And Media Blasters and Sentai and Bandai and Nozomi.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
I couldn't really tell if they sounded confident or naive. That's great they feel they're filling some untapped portion of the R1 market but there are plenty of distributors in NA trying to push plenty of different types of anime I'm just not fully convinced they know exactly what they are getting into. Releasing sub-only niche titles...I have a feeling Sentai and Nozomi are none too pleased with NISA entering the game. Having said that I do wish them the best of luck, they have great enthusiasm.

Ian K wrote:
and are doing more than just cold-bloodily working to appease market forces (Come on, you know the FUNimation corporate offices have shrines to the NASDAC and DowJones in some back room).

Well to be fair they have no choice but to keep stockholders in-mind, if they don't like what FUNi tells them heads will roll.
mckg1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
I will buy Toradora! But only this once .. see i NEVER buy animes without a Dub & less with a price that equals a different title that has sub & dub ( I love to read & im ok with subs its just that dubs are so good now a days that i have a better viewing experience watching an anime with eng dub. I like it when i dont have to looking up at the picture & then down to read for 30 min & keep up with whats going on. ) But i understand why ( they are new!) So for the first time ever i am going to buy Toradora to support NISA Wink I want more anime in the US and hope that NISA knows that the anime consumers are willing to give NISA a break because we want more anime to be released in North America. But I do hope they dub Anime they licences later on. So count on me buying Toradora but that will be my only time i will buy a sub-only from any anime company so start dubbing after you get settled in the anime industry, ok NISA Wink (sorry if i sound a little harsh) . Now when is Toradora coming out?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Since I no longer have working speakers, am I right to belive Toradora ISN'T receiving a English audio? I've supported NIS for several years now and have enjoyed almost all the of the games that were licensed.

However, despite the fact Toradora is one of the very few true masterpiece anime titles I've seen in several years, I still won't buy without a English audio. I am not bashing NIS if that is the case, I more than understand the budget may be small, but I am a "hardcore" English audio fan most of the time.

Reading subtitles and watching the show isn't as easy as it sounds and subtitles are usually small and go by very quickly. So with a english audio, its much easier on my eyes and such. But none the less, I truly do hope I am wrong.

The second, third season of Your Under Arrest and Gintama have already been released as subtitle only, I really think Toradora deserves an English audio through and through. But if there isn't one, its not the end of the world, but certainly very disapointing.

If the series is truly excellent or above, I'll buy the dvds. Granted, there must be an English audio. Yes there are some series that are cool even without an English audio track, but I primarily like English audio.

Best of luck NIS, I've enjoyed all the games I've bought from your company. I've been playing video games for the last decade and a half, so I can spot out a great company with excellent games quite quickly. I really just hope there is a English audio with Toradora.
qollocust

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad to hear that they took the time to do some market research. It really is valuable. I'm also glad to hear they are starting with limited runs of their titles. It seems like they've done a lot of homework and hope everything goes well for them. Hopefully in the future they will put out some titles that I am interested in but in the meantime I wish them the best of luck.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
I truly can not stand Halo. It's a solid FPS with quite well done online play but the story is generic, pretentious, awful stuff. I really don't know why so many feel they need to tell a story. I mean, if you're really going to commit to it and integrate it properly into the game (ie. Mass Effect) then great. If not though, then you're better just going the Gears of War 1 route: Grubs bad! Marcus crush grub! Shoot Shoot, Stomp. Grunt/Cuss. Repeat.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I truly can not stand Halo. It's a solid FPS with quite well done online play but the story is generic, pretentious, awful stuff. I really don't know why so many feel they need to tell a story. I mean, if you're really going to commit to it and integrate it properly into the game (ie. Mass Effect) then great. If not though, then you're better just going the Gears of War 1 route: Grubs bad! Marcus crush grub! Shoot Shoot, Stomp. Grunt/Cuss. Repeat.
The first halo game had a good story cause you went from aliens to zombies to alien zombies. I mean come on alien zombies wtftastic. second and third are terrible cause they realized the mainstream crowd with an iq of 84 were buying the game more than anyone else, so figured out how to copy crappy summer blockbuster movies. >_>
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
I dislike animes based on games. No matter how well they affect the market.

The Reason: It will make non-anime fans misunderstand on what anime really is. Plain and simple.

As for the whole NIS America-anime licensor-without dubs-$59.99 half season-limited releases?

Well... I can't say I'm 100% pleased... It's nice to know others want to get involved. Wink
But it's not a promising start. I have to second all of Zac's concerns; starting out with what they're doing isn't the wisest method to do...

Not saying I don't understand, but if you're gonna start something, start out with a good first impression!
It's not because of the dubs, but it's because that if more and more people get into anime, they're gonna want more for their money. And $59.99 for a 13-ep Japanese only release, will disuade newcomers...

I personally haven't Toradora, persona, or the rest (I plan to see Toradora, but not yet.), but hit-titles alone can't shoulder the costs of niche markets.
Keyl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
nateotaku wrote:
It seems to me that Zac and Justin don't care for many Anime, in fact I think I have almost never heard them say a positive thing about any Anime. Confused

You aren't listening well enough. They usually do talk about one or two things each broadcast that they do like.

I actually liked Batman: Gotham Knight better than most of the Animatrix, myself. Maybe because I'm so attached to Batman and found it easier to get into the whole Batman vibe than The Matrix, which was never really my cup of tea.

As far as NISA, it'll be interesting to see another anime licensor in competition out there.

it also helped that Gotham Knight had Kevin Conroy (that man really does a great Bruce Wayne/Batman). Yeah i didn't mind Halo Legends that much, sure most of the voice acting was mediocre but there were gems there like The Package and Homecoming were the one i kinda liked. otherwise great show and let's hope NIS does a great job on Pandora Hearts and the other ones i forgot xD..
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:40 am Reply with quote
Justin: "I haven't heard ADV dub this bad in a while."

Have you sat through Appleseed 2? Laughing
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Have you sat through Appleseed 2? Laughing

Sat THROUGH? Dude, you're asking for the impossible. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5