• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ninja Scroll Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
.............. the anime that used to be the benchmark of who's a newbie anime fan and who is not.............. :lol:

And in just over 20 years of watching anime, I've never been able to get interested enough in Ninja Scroll to bother with it.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Ninja Scroll. They used to show this movie on TV at night, along with Patlabor, Wings of Honneamise, Demon City Shinjuku and some other super old anime. At the time, I was 13, very sheltered, and had only seen a small handful of anime. Needless to say, when the arms-being-ripped-off-blood-drinking-attempted-rape scene came on, it kind of blew my mind. I remember freaking out and changing the channel because it was unlike anything I had ever seen before, and it felt like something that I should not be watching.
When I watched it again as an adult who had developed a love for gory horror movies, it simply registered a 'meh'.
I'm interested in giving it another viewing again. Maybe if the Blu-ray is being sold for a good price, I'll pick it up.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Well now that i finally got my PS3 ( even though it's a lame used 40GB model ) I'm definitely getting it this version.

Though i really hope someone is able to also do a re release version for Mad Bull 34 and hopefully it will sell enough to warrant a manga release too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Well now that i finally got my PS3 ( even though it's a lame used 40GB model ) I'm definitely getting it this version.

Though i really hope someone is able to also do a re release version for Mad Bull 34 and hopefully it will sell enough to warrant a manga release too.

Discotek acquired Mad Bull 34. They are releasing it next year.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Tell the truth: you were way too young to be watching this movie the first time you saw it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Speak for yourself. I was in my mid-20s when I first saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
I only saw it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I'm in my early 20's.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Now, how do I find out who you're replying to?

Isn't it wonderful when people don't quote? It's not like I can switch to 'threaded' mode here to find out... Well, since I replied by clicking the 'quote' button, rather than the 'postreply' link, it should be easy to tell, right? <sigh>
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
When one is referring to the immediately preceding post, quoting is generally not considered necessary. (Unless you're only referring to a specific part of that post.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
I believe Redswirl was referring to Ninja Scroll being "my first anime" for a lot of young teens in the 90's such as Quark:

Quote:
Oh man, Ninja Scroll. They used to show this movie on TV at night, along with Patlabor, Wings of Honneamise, Demon City Shinjuku and some other super old anime. At the time, I was 13, very sheltered, and had only seen a small handful of anime. Needless to say, when the arms-being-ripped-off-blood-drinking-attempted-rape scene came on, it kind of blew my mind. I remember freaking out and changing the channel because it was unlike anything I had ever seen before, and it felt like something that I should not be watching.
When I watched it again as an adult who had developed a love for gory horror movies, it simply registered a 'meh'.
I'm interested in giving it another viewing again. Maybe if the Blu-ray is being sold for a good price, I'll pick it up.

I was an adult myself, but even I was like , Whoa! It was almost too much for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2